Game of Thrones show creators filming new Star Wars films

Not if they didn’t follow the standard framework and used the same standard characters.

I think at some point one of these movies will have to break new ground within the story. Totally new characters (except for maybe 1?) and a story that isn’t part of the main story line. Maybe something more personal on a planet or within a system.

Gonna be real confusing for Rian when Benioff and Weiss’s Star Wars series is also referred to as “The Johnson Trilogy”.

That would be novel. Seems to me that Disney and Lucasfilm generally have a certain expectation from the filmmakers they hire and are not at all shy about giving them the boot if they don’t meet those expectations.

:) 345

I will grant you that this really makes me an outlier.

However! You already counted that one against me in the Last Jedi Spoiler thread. So don’t increase the “Rock8man is weird” counter twice just because it’s two different threads! It’s still the same issue, so it only counts against me once, damn it.

Noted!

*Clicks tongue*

Mmm, so that’s two infractions for Star Wars weirdness, an extra infraction for complaining about infractions, and finally, an infraction for cursing.

Not looking good for you, Rock.

Why isn’t this happening with Star Trek? :(

Chin up! Star Trek is getting Tarantino’d!

Wouldn’t count on Tarantino getting to make any more movies, ever, at this point. And certainly not with someone’s IP.

Why do you say that?

Cuz he got partially #MeToo’d

Pretty good read

Aw crap, guess I’m behind the times. I was really curious to see where that was going too.

The author of that article gets big props from me for name-dropping the X-wing book series. I enjoyed that much more than the mainline EU novels.

As for the general sentiment of “too much” Star Wars, I’ve made my peace with the idea that I’ll likely never see the end of the saga. With Disney in charge, the property will probably continue long after I’m dead. It’s no longer just mine or yours or any one person’s property.

To be fair, what Tarantino has faced isn’t nearly as serious as it has been for other folks and I don’t see it as a career ender for him.

A Tarantino Star Trek (whether directed, written, or both) seems unlikely to begin with, but I don’t think his status as #MeToo-adjacent would be enough to kill the project if it was ever seriously being pursued, despite his focus in our recent discussions in P&R. It certainly won’t kill his whole career.

Ah, well I don’t know the details of what Tarantino is going through, and I’ve been taking a vacation from P&R in the interest of mental health. So, we’ll see.

Anyway, regarding the question of Too Much Star Wars? I think about this. I remember the dark days between the release of Return of the Jedi and the release of the first Thrawn book, which I consider to be the beginning of Star Wars return to the spotlight - maybe not, but to me it felt like a natural lead-in to the special editions, which begat the prequels, and so on.

But in those dark days, what did we have? A couple Ewok movies and some comic books, if you were desperate. Hell, Lucas had to be convinced to release the movies on VHS, so for a while you couldn’t even revisit the movies very easily. And in those days I would have killed for this glut. But now, older me isn’t so sure. I guess it always comes down to what the product looks like, will it add to the mythos or will it be yet another rehash? I’m still interested enough to want to find out but then again I haven’t even seen Rogue One yet, so I may not be the guy to ask.

I have no problem with the “glut” if some of it deals with stuff outside the main story line. GRRM has stories in his world outside the main story line, so did Tolkien.

Well that’s kind of the catch isn’t it? So far we’ve got two stand alone movies that look like they’re dealin either familiar characters, in the case of Solo, or a familiar situation in the case of Rogue One. Down the road there’s potentially an Obi Wan movie, and wasn’t there talk of a Boba Fett movie? Then we’ve got the new trilogy which isn’t really all that new - it’s got the scoundrel, the Jedi-in-training, the droids, the evil empire, the rebellion, etc. Looks to me like there’s still a creative stranglehold keeping things on a pretty narrow path.

Then again, I have no idea what this set of stories, or Rian Johnson’s, is going to involve. I’m willing to be surprised.