Gamecube 2 ?!?

Got this news tidbit in the mail from some UK website… don’t know how true it is, butthey say estimates are for a GC2 in 2005. Good news? I hope its backwards compatible with GC1 … otherwise buying a GC was pretty useless…well maybe not for Dave Long! or something.

http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2538&af=ur170403

etc

Well, since they usually debut in fall, that’s still a couple of years away. There are still plenty more games between now and then. IF this is a true rumor, that woudl still give plenty of value for the GC. Hell, I’ve already gotten my value out of it. Animal Crossing alone gave me a bunch, but I have had fun with Metroid and Zelda as well.

IIRC, Nintendo has gone on record as saying they are committed to putting out another console by 2005. Of course, Sega may have gone on record about a sequel to the Dreamcast, at some point, so who knows how much weight one should give to the statement. After all, two years from now is a long way off in the gaming world. You can claim to be doing pretty much anything two years from now, especially with the always-rapid technological developments.

For example, look at where ATI was even a year ago. Their gaming mindshare was a molehill to nVidia’s mountain. Now, conversely, think about where nVidia was a year ago: sitting comfortably at the top. Rapid, unexpected developments. I’ll bet even those two companies couldn’t have guessed things would be like this a year ago.

Also, note what’s happening with the almost-set-in-stone Cell tech of the PS3.

Hell, I’ve already gotten my value out of it. Animal Crossing alone gave me a bunch

Ahhhh! I’m in hell!!! Ahhhhh! Carrying dresses to kitties. Listening to a dog play a ukulele. Chasing bugs. Knocking fruit out of trees. Ahhh! It’s hell!!!

-Tom

For example, look at where ATI was even a year ago. Their gaming mindshare was a molehill to nVidia’s mountain. Now, conversely, think about where nVidia was a year ago: sitting comfortably at the top. Rapid, unexpected developments. I’ll bet even those two companies couldn’t have guessed things would be like this a year ago.

I’m still feeling whiplash from 3dfx’s sudden turnaround…

Tom, hurry up and beat the damn Tower in Zelda.

Also, note what’s happening with the almost-set-in-stone Cell tech of the PS3.

You mean the fact they aren’t going to use it for PS3? Kutaragi confirmed it yesterday. Cell won’t be ready for anyone until 2007. PS3 won’t have it.

–Dave

Yes, that would be what I was referring to.

I don’t want to be a jerk to mtkafka, but does this “article” qualify to anyone as a legitmate piece of news from a reputable source? “News is emerging that Nintendo may try…” Really? Where is the news emerging from? Who said it? Got a link? Got any evidence other than a phrase that could be re-stated as “I heard from a guy on the bus that…”?

The rest of this article is a restatement of an industry truism: try to be the first one out door. Then it ends with a clumsy metaphor (plain sailing?) about the Dreamcast’s inability to capitalize on its speed to market.

So we have a poorly written piece of non-news from a UK discount computer shop’s web site. Sorry to be a dick, but this is a waste of time. And while I’m being grumpy: Animal Crossing is banality raised to an art form, Xbox 2 will be backwards compatible but PS3 won’t, ATI’s recent success will be short-lived, Britney Spears ain’t that hot, and Doom III will be a letdown. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Miss Cleo has nothing on Jim Preston. Agreed on all counts.

I love rumors and by love I mean laugh and point.

“After all, two years from now is a long way off in the gaming world.”

Not in designing and producing a console.

But is it fun??

[quote=“Anders_Hallin”]

But is it fun??[/quote]

It’s totally fun. That’s why Tom’s in hell. He hates fun. He’s a fun hater.

Hey Tom, the other day a cow painted my roof pink.