Gamecube for $99?

Could be… posted at GAF tonight… it’s probably not for at least a week or so but it seems to be happening.

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?threadid=55889

–Dave

still not low enough of a price to buy that piece of shit.

Until this post, I had held the belief that only intelligent people posted here. Obviously, you sir, are bucking the trend.

Did you leave out a wink at the end or is that just a troll?

Anyway, at the price I may end up getting my dad one for Xmas. He’s been a long time pc gamer and I managed to get him into the consoles a bit by buying him a Xbox last Xmas. And I know he’s interested in both the Resident Evil games and Metroid.

Will the $99 include a free game still?

Most likely not. I do know that a certain large national video store chain believes that the GCube will drop to $99 and the XBox to $149 by Christmas enough to have sent out price stickers and P.O.P for such months ago just in wait of official word from either Nintendo or Microsoft.

The leaked advert only confirms that other retail organizations believe this to be happening as well.

Until this post, I had held the belief that only intelligent people posted here. Obviously, you sir, are bucking the trend.[/quote]

Kinda funny in light of your ‘sports games suck’ post in a different thread. DrDel is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours if that’s the case.

If the Gamecube drops to $99 without a free game, what’s the point?

I would guess marketing – $99 sounds cheaper to the average consumer / Mom & Dad than $149 with free game / game boy player. Wonder if the Game Boy SP price will drop any?

It also depends on the game - if it were, say, one of the Resident Evils, then to me, the extra fifty bucks would be paying for the console, because I have no desire to play any of them. A game bundle is only useful if it’s a game you want to play.

Has the time passed where it is cool and, more importantly, accepted to dig Animal Crossing? I may pick it up just for AC, but only if I can avoid getting poited at and laughed at. That happens all to often already.

I figure AC is like some new musical group. Every one likes them, they get wildly popular, and a year later no one will admit to owning the album.

Animal Crossing is dropping to $29.99 around the same time, Ty. You can get the system and the game for $130.

Dropping to $100 without a game is fine because like someone else mentioned, if you don’t want the pack-ins, you can pick the thing you want and it doesn’t have to be a $50 title either.

–Dave

It’s still not really much of a price drop, though. Most of the games that I’d recommend as starter games for the system are $50 anyway. So it’s more of an “alternate package” deal (though still a good one, since picking your game is better than having to buy one that you may or may not want).

What would you recommend that’s still $50? Seriously?

Metroid Prime is $29.99 at the same time as Animal Crossing and this expected system drop. Super Smash Brothers Melee and Pikmin are going to be $19.99 then. Wind Waker is about the only game that remains high and most of the 3rd party stuff coming out is $39.99 now.

You can easily get a number of the best games for less than $50.

–Dave

Well, honestly, I haven’t checked the prices on any of those games lately. I just assumed that the big titles were all still full price, since you are always posting about how Nintendo (and consoles in general) don’t need to drop prices on games in order to sell them.

According to EB’s website:

Metroid Prime: $49.99
Super Smash Bros.: $29.99
Pikmin is only listed under “preowned,” so they don’t seem to be stocking that title any more (pity–it’s a great game)
Animal Crossing: Not a game I’d recommend as a system starter

So, yeah: some good stuff to be had on the cheap. Smash Bros. is definitely a “must have” game. It’s still not a huge savings, and mostly useful as a means of getting a better game than the standard pack-ins, though.

Ben, Dave is talking about the planned drop for those games. Nintendo is knocking down the price on some of the better selling games around the end of the month. MP and AC at $30, SSBM and Pikmin at $20.

This doesn’t necessarily mean anything, though. EB had sent out promotional items for price drops right before E3 because everyone thought one would happen then. Anyway I hope it happens, I want a second GameCube.

Ah, if Super Smash Bros. Melee is $30, that’s good. We’re going to wait until Christmas anyway. There should be some good deals by then. Maybe I’ll keep my eyes open for some used GC games.

Until this post, I had held the belief that only intelligent people posted here. Obviously, you sir, are bucking the trend.[/quote]

Kinda funny in light of your ‘sports games suck’ post in a different thread. DrDel is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours if that’s the case.[/quote]

I was answering a valid question. Someone asked why sports games dont sell on the GC. My answer was that they suck. I have a feeling my fellow Gamecube owners, at large, hold a similar opinion. Hence the poor performance of sports titles on the Cube.

But ok. On the surface my statement wasn’t much better than this guys. But at least I punctuated it properly. :lol: