Gamecube + GameBoy Player = $149.99 on June 23

Big news for those of you that haven’t yet bought a Gamecube OR GameBoy Advance. PC gamers wanting to play Advance Wars take note!

Nintendo announces GameCube/GameBoy Player bundle!

Worldwide Retail Program Combining Nintendo GameCube With New Game Boy Player Opens Vast Game Libraries

LOS ANGELES, May 15, 2003 – Nintendo today announces a new worldwide retail offer combining its Nintendo GameCube™ home console with the new Game Boy® Player. The combination allows players to enjoy more than 1,200 Game Boy games on the home TV screen, along with the full library of more than 300 Nintendo GameCube titles.

For a limited time, Nintendo will include Game Boy Player for the regular price of the Nintendo GameCube system. This offer will be available at retail on June 23 for an MSRP of $149.99 in the United States, and on June 20 for €199.99 in Europe.

“This offer builds on the incredible momentum generated by our Game Boy® Advance line, which has already sold 35 million systems worldwide,” says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. “Once we saw the enthusiastic reception given to the debut of Game Boy Player here on the show floor at the E3 trade show, it was an easy decision to move ahead with our plans to combine these two products.”

The Game Boy Player is a platform less than an inch thick, which acts as a base for the Nintendo GameCube. By simply inserting Game Boy cartridges into a slot in the Game Boy Player, consumers can use their Nintendo GameCube controller to direct action on the TV screen.

In North America, Nintendo is riding a wave of momentum generated by three dominating product launches this spring. Game Boy Advance is the hottest selling system in the market; The Legend of Zelda®: The Wind Waker™ tops the console hit charts; and the combined Pokemon® Ruby and Pokemon® Sapphire are the top two selling titles in the portable game category.

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems extend Nintendo’s vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.8 billion video games globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario™ and Donkey Kong® and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere.

I’ve already got the Gamecube, where’s my free Gameboy Player Nintendo? :cry:

-“Fuck You, give us $50 like the rest of you early adopting sheep! You’re still our bitch remember!”

Can I at least get a new Mario game soon, you know like the ones that were as addictive back in the 80’s and 90’s? I like jumping on Koopas!

-“You’ll get Pacman and like it whore! Oh and buy another GBA, you can’t enjoy your Gamecube without at least two of them nearby anymore…you twit!”

Seriously this is a SLICK deal, but I keep missing out on all of these promotions ‘N’ is dealing out each and every month. It’s getting embarrassing as a consumer. When will the Mario Kart andf F-zero join the bundle? September?

Now you know how Xbox early adopters felt when the system was cut $100 after six months and later they were giving away up to four games and the DVD remote with every system purchase. :?

I’ve gotten a ton of entertainment out of the Cube since I bought it way back in late 2001. Since it was reasonably inexpensive to begin with, I don’t feel slighted by these giveaways. They’re typical of how many systems evolved over time. The technology is just cheaper now so it seems like you get a lot more when they do this stuff.

I fully expect the next Nintendo game console to play both home and portable games out of the box, though. Now if only they make the Wavebirds standard. :)

–Dave

Yea, I’m not complaining about the Cube’s quality or library. Despite criticism, I’ve gotten quite a bit out of the system considering the state of the industry today and Nintendo’s position.

Or maybe I’ve just played an unhealthy number of hours into Smash Bros, enough to justify the price tag on the system. If I could go back to November 2001, I’d still blow the wad of cash for it all over again.

I don’t get this reaction from people. Has no one purchased electronics gear for the past, I dunno, 50 YEARS?!? Just which technologies that catch on don’t get drastic price reductions as they’re accepted?

If you want to go cheap, be a late adopter. I’ll be late on these HDTV super size flat panel wonders – they just aren’t worth it for me. On the other hand, I’ve been all over the TIVO lifestyle.

Price reductions sure, but a ‘Free Tivo with that HDTV’, that’s a deal I’d like to see…

So what, the Game Boy Advance Players weren’t selling and they have a warehouse of 'em to get rid of?

It hasn’t even launched in the US. They’re doing this when it comes out here. It’s sold very well in Japan as an add-on for the Gamecube. This simply puts the library of 1200 GameBoy/GBColor/GBAdvance games directly into the potential buys once you buy a GC after June.

–Dave

Ah, gotcha.

I’m sure there are some people who played the GBA games back when they were SNES games who find the GBA Player appealing, but I have zero desire to play those games on a big screen. If I’m gaming on the TV, I’ll go for the big multimedia production. If I want to play Advance Wars or Tetris, the handheld’s just fine.

That’s what I thought at first. The past few weeks though I’ve been playing the GBA a lot and now I can’t wait for this thing. My elbows hurt from holding the screen close enough to see for so long and I wouldn’t mind using the wavebird and laying back on the couch while I play. The GBA is great for playing on the road, but for long gaming sessions I’d much rather play on the TV.

PS: Aria of Sorrow is one of the best games I’ve played all year.

I’m with DennyA. What next, a NES version of this add-on, so I can avail myself of the massive library of awesome NES carts?

The sad thing is that Cathcart and Long would actually buy the mythical NES GC add-on. And play on it. For hours.

Actually so would I, it’d be great to revisit ‘Maniac Masion’ or ‘Karnov’ maybe even ‘Narc’ without having to worry about your old NES freezing up every three seconds.

Wumpus philosophy 101: SCREW FUN: Give me every flash in the pan in the world and then ramp the graphics all the way up. A game isn’t good unless it’s cutting edge and has never had a precursor ever in any way.

oh and ‘Rampage’.

What’s so sad about that? There are tons of great NES classics out there. It’s not like Dave and Mike are the only people on this board that revisit old games.

I thought the sad thing was that every time I play my GameCube I put on these Legend of Zelda pajamas my mom made for me a few years ago. That includes trips to Best Buy and EB when I play on the demo machine. Your version makes me look practically normal so we’ll go with that.

Connected to the TV and played at my house… NES, SNES, Genesis w/32X, Sega Saturn, PS2 (and PSX by default), Dreamcast and Gamecube. I’ve played Tecmo Super Bowl on NES a lot in the last few months. Played through Super Metroid too. I’m sure I’m not the only one with systems in good working condition always ready to play what he feels like playing at any given time. I can’t wait to add the ability to play the GBA games to that list when I’m at home and don’t want to play on the handheld. The nice thing is I can then take it with me later to play that same game, and same save game, on the road.

–Dave

That was you ?!?!

Wumpus philosophy 101: SCREW FUN: Give me every flash in the pan in the world and then ramp the graphics all the way up. A game isn’t good unless it’s cutting edge and has never had a precursor ever in any way.

Your application to Wumpus U. has been summarily rejected.

I’m not against playing old games, I’m against buying a $50 piece of hardware to turn a portable system into a fixed system… to play old games. People, this is why God invented emulation.

I meant to ask you about that the last you mentioned it. How do you have so many hooked into one TV at all times? Do you switch the cables into one input as needed? Or is spread out over multiple TVs?

Right now, I’ve got a PS1, Dreamcast, and Gamecube hooked up to a Mad Catz 4-way composite video/audio switcher, with a Genesis and a SNES in the closet that I can easily hook into the empty port. At one time, I had virtually every console I owned at the time into one TV with the 4-way and dasiy chaining RF switch boxes, but the mile of switch boxes always seemed to be a problem.

So without building a Yoshi’s Box, how do you keep seven consoles ready and waiting?

‘I’m not against playing old games, I’m just against playing the actual old game cartridges.’

Great philosophy there. I know I’d much rather spend all my time downloading incomplete emulations to take up room on the computer than just popping an old cartridge into a new system. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: …aaaaaaannndddd… :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I’ll help you out Cookiepants…

–Dave