Gamecube gasping for air?

I for one liked Eternal Darkness better than any of the Silent Hill games. I think it was the characters and the 2,000 year story arc that did it for me. Plus, no incredibly goddamn awful goth guy singing the closing credits theme like in SH3.

I’m just tired of being the only guy on here who bothers to find out where these manufacturers really stand and filling in the facts. Boss’ post clearly indicates a surge in Gamecube sales due to a significant game release. That means a lot. Nintendo is still the number two console maker worldwide. They are still putting more money in the bank than either of their competitors. They are still the only ones profiting from sales of games and the console. They are NOT falling behind PS2 any more than Microsoft and in fact, with last week’s sales actually GAINED on PS2 in one market, however slight. They have put games that people want on the console overseas and they’ve been selling well in Japan. Those games haven’t even made it here yet. You folks don’t bother following the charts in Japan, but Nintendo has had at least six of the top ten best selling games in Japan every week for at least two or three months. That’s BOTH GBA and GC games.

They are likely to do just fine in the US this Christmas. Mario Kart is maybe their biggest franchise next to Super Mario and Zelda. Their lineup of games is very exclusive to their console and their console alone. That will make people either buy a Gamecube or skip all those games. With each “Only For” box they put on the shelf, there’s one more game that might sell someone else a Gamecube. This generation is far, FAR from over and anyone that thinks it is…they’re a fool. As the systems get cheaper, Nintendo will sell a lot more consoles.

The bottom line is that both Microsoft and Nintendo have been beaten and only the folks on Qt3 are still rallying around the cries of XBOX! like it’s some kind of Holy Saviour. It’s over. They both lost. Sony won. It’s not likely to change next round. End of story. Neither console is as successful as either company would like, but one of the companies has decided to take it on the chin and apologize to investors while the other hasn’t said much of anything about their product’s failure in the market other than to spout off how much MORE money they’re going to throw after the money already spent.

–Dave

Koontz would probably help you out, he likes gleaning the truth from numbers.

Grand Master Long said:
They both lost. Sony won. It’s not likely to change next round.

Well, you know, it could. This last time Sony had a massive lead to the market and despite delivering a hugely broken bit of hardware, game developers didn’t have many other options.

The GC is a fairly OK bit of kit. Straightforward, not too many gotchas. Nintendo were late to market and still haven’t really got the hang of bringing in 3rd party software. Given their record in this they are doing better than I would have expected.

The x-box is sweet to develop for. It really is. It is also huge and clunky and sporting the worst controller of the bunch. It also lacks really good exclusive software (Halo doesn’t count, it was the in-house ship title). Microsoft HAVE got the 3rd party thing down well - better than Sony or Nintendo.

So… if Microsoft can get out at the same time or before Sony they could easily grab and hold the lead in North America. Europe and Japan is another story. My suspicion is that Nintendo (if they beat Sony to market and behave better with licensing fees and 3rd party support) could get Japan and the far east tied up.

There seems to be this weird rave culture obsession with Sony in Europe, and unless Microsoft and Nintendo up the cool factor of their machines they may not be able to dent Sony’s dominance in that territory. The European game buying public is a strange beast. Fashion really matters. (Sad ain’t it).

Nintendo’s doing pretty well on their own, why should they help Microsoft “win”?

Also, don’t you mean NINTONDO?[/quote]

Are YOU trying to pick a fight?

Well, I read Boss’ post, too, so I did as much “finding out where the manufacturers stand” as you did, apparently. I’ll ask again: do you have data that contradicts that news story that Mark linked? Because frankly, Boss’ reported one-week surge in console sales seems pretty insignificant next to reports that Nintendo shipped only 80,000 units last quarter, and had had to halt manufacturing in response to falling demand for consoles.

I know Nintendo was #2 in worldwide console sales as of March, but not by a wide margin–9.55 million units to Xbox’s 9.4 million, or thereabouts. Microsoft is projecting 5-6 million console sales in fiscal 2003. One or two quarters of GameCube sales under the 100,000 mark would leave them pretty far behind. Of course…

The bottom line is that both Microsoft and Nintendo have been beaten

This is certainly true.

and only the folks on Qt3 are still rallying around the cries of XBOX! like it’s some kind of Holy Saviour.

They are?

They are?[/quote]

Remember this is Dave we are talking about. He is completely irrational when it comes to console issues. He hates the Xbox and everything about it and loves the Gamecube and anything about it. Everything he says is tainted by those biases.

I like my Xbox a lot but I have never come close to calling it a saviour and no one else here has either unless there is some double secret area of this board that I have never seen.

– Xaroc

I like my Xbox, too, though it suffers from the same problem that the Gamecube has–not enough games. Dave is right that the recent release of KotOR tints my current attitude towards the Xbox. That game rocks. Best game I’ve played all year. Aside from that, though, the Xbox pickings have been slim of late.

We’re going to get a Gamecube this holiday season if it drops to $99, and then there are 3-4 titles we’ll grab for it. My twin boys prefer the PS2 (as does most of the console gaming world), but they are adamant about Super Smash Brothers on the Cube being the best game they’ve ever played. They play it at their friends house and never get tired of it.

Nintendo is still the number two console maker worldwide.

Is this true? I’ve never seen any numbers to indicate one way or another.

They [Nintendo] are still putting more money in the bank than either of their competitors.

Nintendo’s banking more than Microsoft? I don’t think so if we’re talking overall business, and why wouldn’t we be? You’re implying that Nintendo making money from games means they have more willpower to stay in the market than does Microsoft is probably wishful thinking. A more realistic appraisal might be that Nintendo’s making a lot of money with its GBA line of business and slim profits to none with Gamecube.

They [Nintendo] are still the only ones profiting from sales of games and the console.

Again, do we know at this point that Sony isn’t making a profit on the sale of the PS2 at $179?

It’s hard to know what Microsoft is going to do. They’ve lost a lot of money on Xbox so far, but they expected to. They may be willing to lose a billion a year for the next 10 years – who knows? Meanwhile, Sony’s going to attack the handheld market and there have been rumors that Microsoft will too.

I’m not anti-Nintendo, but at this point Nintendo seems on shakier ground. For whatever reason they can’t attract many third-parties, they’re competing for the number two spot against a gigantic company much bigger than they are, and their main source of profit (GBA) is going to come under attack soon – I’d guess that the Sony brand on a handheld is going to take a healthy bite out of that market.

Nintendo is still the number two console maker worldwide.

Is this true? I’ve never seen any numbers to indicate one way or another.

They [Nintendo] are still putting more money in the bank than either of their competitors.

Nintendo’s banking more than Microsoft? I don’t think so if we’re talking overall business, and why wouldn’t we be? You’re implying that Nintendo making money from games means they have more willpower to stay in the market than does Microsoft is probably wishful thinking. A more realistic appraisal might be that Nintendo’s making a lot of money with its GBA line of business and slim profits to none with Gamecube.

They [Nintendo] are still the only ones profiting from sales of games and the console.

Again, do we know at this point that Sony isn’t making a profit on the sale of the PS2 at $179?

It’s hard to know what Microsoft is going to do. They’ve lost a lot of money on Xbox so far, but they expected to. They may be willing to lose a billion a year for the next 10 years – who knows? Meanwhile, Sony’s going to attack the handheld market and there have been rumors that Microsoft will too.

I’m not anti-Nintendo, but at this point Nintendo seems on shakier ground. For whatever reason they can’t attract many third-parties, they’re competing for the number two spot against a gigantic company much bigger than they are, and their main source of profit (GBA) is going to come under attack soon – I’d guess that the Sony brand on a handheld is going to take a healthy bite out of that market.