Gamecube going bye-bye?

From Slate.com at http://slate.msn.com/?id=2074045:

… With rumors swirling that Nintendo’s lackluster GameCube will soon be shelved, perhaps Xbox has a shot at winning some converts, especially if the technology in its next-generation console really dusts the PS2’s.

Shelved? Shouldn’t they release one or two games before packing it in? Is there any teeth to this?

I would question the source – I believe Slate is owned by Microsoft, and as far as I know the Gamecube is doing just fine.

ahem, msn.com? A very questionable source indeed, though they are nice enough to make it clear in the article text.

The article is entitled “Why Xbox is an also-ran”. It’s pretty critical of the big black block.

Also, Microsoft has always been hands-off when it comes to Slate’s reporting. I once heard an interview with their former editor on NPR, and he said that during the anti-trust hearings, MS never said anything to them, no matter what they reported.

As far as this quote goes:

Apple … the frustration of knowing you’ve got a technically superior product that’s fated to forever be a bridesmaid

I hope Mr. Koerner is talking software, not hardware.

Yes, nintendo annouced that they are planning on ending the GC in 2004. Just about the time everyone else will be ending their systems too. The leaps of logic some people make

No, it’s more than that. I’ve been hearing this rumor for a while from many sources – both biased and “un.” It’s something even retailers are talking about.

-Vede

Apparently, this guy is referring to “rumors” that were utterly smashed by Nintendo in a recent business session.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3641

What retailers Greg? Actual people in high positions at EB, etc. or just some Joe Blow behind the counter at the local EB that owns a PS2 and hopes Nintendo stops making “kiddie” games?

Just in case people are too lazy to read the text on that link, here’s the relevant part from Peter MacDougall of NoA…

Nintendo is in the software business - to stay. Nintendo is in the handheld business - to stay. And Nintendo is most certainly in the home console business - to stay. Work is well underway on the successor technology to both Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube.

–Dave

How many times have we heard companies say “we’re just fine!” even when they weren’t? Regardless of what Nintendo has to say on the matter, my understanding is that retailers – at a corporate level – are concerned about the system’s longevity/long-term viability.

-G

Well if you look at the bold faced writing at the top thats written by Planet Gamecube. Looks to me like the bottom boldface part is or could be too.

Regardless of what Nintendo has to say on the matter, my understanding is that retailers – at a corporate level – are concerned about the system’s longevity/long-term viability.

Then you’re saying something other than the point made here, that Nintendo is in the business to stay. What you say there…concerned about the system’s longevity…means to me that retailers are worried it will stop selling in numbers required for game support. Since it’s clear the demand is still there for the system and will continue to be there through next year at the very least, it’s not going to go away. It’s simply the same old concerns about the systems that aren’t #1. I’m sure in the back room at EB they’re not too happy with Xbox sales either and are wondering when they’ll be stuck with all that old Xbox software when Xbox2 is officially announced.

According to “rumors”, that’s only 2 Christmases away which means by next Holiday season, Xbox games will be on the “old” system and the “new” one will be only a year away…

Well if you look at the bold faced writing at the top thats written by Planet Gamecube. Looks to me like the bottom boldface part is or could be too.

Don’t make me break out my web-fu Becker, it won’t be pretty. I’ll make you wade through all nine pages of the transcript to find that quote. (It’s on page 9 if you want to read it for yourself.) PlanetGamecube did not write that themselves.

Full transcript of MacDougall’s speech.
http://www.planetgamecube.com/specials.cfm?action=profile&id=368

Page 9
http://www.planetgamecube.com/specials.cfm?action=profile&id=376

Now I suppose you’ll say this is all fabricated because it comes from a Nintendo fan site, right?

–Dave

Well why wouldn’t we question something that came from a Gamecube site(not this since the stuff was said by the NOA guy) or any fan site for that matter. Or question something thats said by a corporate guy and just take it as 100% fact? Thats pretty naive Dave. You know people could trot out tens of thousands of pages of press releases and quotes of corporate guys saying they were doing this or were ok then 1 year later its 180 degrees diffrent.

I learned the hard way that the officers of a company will lie to your face. I had a CEO lie to my face about whether my company was up for sale. He denied it strongly. The company was sold within a month. The CEO issued an non-apology apology after the sale announcement, saying that he could not talk about the negotiations.

If Nintendo was thinking about bailing, they’re not about to tip their hand during the Christmas season.

That said, it sounds doubtful to me. They haven’t even gone to the desperation price cut point yet.

You know people could trot out tens of thousands of pages of press releases and quotes of corporate guys saying they were doing this or were ok then 1 year later its 180 degrees diffrent.

One year later… c’mon Jason, just admit it. You don’t like me and you don’t like what I post here. It’ll make it easier on everyone.

–Dave

What? You mean corporate officers aren’t a paragon of ethical conduct, candid facts, and accoutability? Where in the WORLD would you get that idea?

I think the GC isn’t going anywhere. What’s questionable is whether or not Nintendo will do a follow-up system or pull a Sega (keeping gameboy going, of course).

So, does anyone know whether the gamecube or the xbox is doing better? According to an article posted on slashdot.com today, xbox is losing lots of money ($177 million over the last 3 months). Is gamecube profitable for Nintendo, or is Nintendo taking a loss as well?

…I mean you are kind of a prick. And coincidentally, my name is Jason. I know you weren’t talking to me and all, but since you ARE talking about not liking you…I don’t and you should stop acting in a way that makes me dislike you. IMHO. Also: suggesting that someone’s position is different than yours only because they don’t like you is good cause for me, at least, to not like you. It suggests paranoia, and consequently, an inability to reason with a clear mind.

While my opinion on most matters is pretty important, to me at least, your own need to behave less like a sissy should be foremost in your mind at this point. I mean you should go and read your last 20 posts in here or so and ask yourself if maybe you’re bringing this on yourself. I’m in no way suggesting that you divorce your feelings from your reasoning process; I mean, what good is a journalist who knows how to be objective, right? I am suggesting, however, that using your own mind as a crucible for refining what little of value you can out of the ideas you have may be more efficient (and less iriitating) than posting them here in a raw state so other people have to waste their time doing all your thinking for you.

I mean, that’s certainly grounds to dislike someone, near as I can figure.

/jeep/

Dave, I know you’re a Nintendo fan, but wouldn’t the market be better served by the GC (or Xbox) going under and Nintendo (or MS) becoming another Sega and making great games for everyone else’s systems?

The Gamecube is an underpowered machine surrounded by sharks. I’d love to buy Nintendo’s games for my Xbox though.

I think the Dreamcast dying and Sega becoming a game maker only, has been one of the best things to happen to consumers in video game history.

Nintendo is the Scrooge McDuck of console makers. They somehow make money on anything. If they made a black & white console with a 2-bit CPU and dumped the entire production line in a landfill they’d probably still make a profit. I bet the GC is profitable, and I’m sure Nintendo isn’t going anywhere with its “big” console system at least for the next two years.

Dave, I know you’re a Nintendo fan, but wouldn’t the market be better served by the GC (or Xbox) going under and Nintendo (or MS) becoming another Sega and making great games for everyone else’s systems?

Looking at what Sega has released since the demise of Dreamcast and comparing that to what they did before, absolutely not. It is clear that Sega’s strength was having their own console. Now they are simply another publisher and their games are unfortunately not living up to sales expectations and in a lot of cases, not even their fans’ expectations. So my answer is again, no fucking way.

The Gamecube is an underpowered machine surrounded by sharks. I’d love to buy Nintendo’s games for my Xbox though.

Underpowered how? Did you watch the footage of Resident Evil 4 in real time on the Gamecube? You call that underpowered? I’d like to see your definition of state of the art.

–Dave

“Nintendo is the Scrooge McDuck of console makers. They somehow make money on anything. If they made a black & white console with a 2-bit CPU and dumped the entire production line in a landfill they’d probably still make a profit. I bet the GC is profitable, and I’m sure Nintendo isn’t going anywhere with its “big” console system at least for the next two years.”

Thanks!