Gamepro Phil Harrison PS3 interview

In a more on-topic direction, it is nice to hear confirmation that backwards compatibility is going to be as good as the PSOne. It is by far the most important hardware feature for me, as I have quite a collection of PS and PS2 games I still play. Just last week, I played little Growlanser, Summon Night II, Panzer Bandit, R-Type Delta and Gunner’s Heaven. And obviously I’m still playing PS2 games.

I’ve heard that there might be a higher resolution for the old games if you play on an HDTV, which doesn’t mean much to me, but I’m thinking that feature would take a lot of work to get working correctly with thousands of games, so I’m not holding my breath. Hopefully, you can still make the loading times faster and smooth the textures of PSOne games and there will be some small enhancement for PS2 games.

Which reminds me that Sony must be back in Square’s good graces by making a hard drive standard after taking out it of the slim PS2.

-Kitsune

I’m sorry, I must have missed the part where “graphics” was a simple tally of objects on screen, polygons per frame, and texture depth.

–GF

I don’t know.
The original post made some interesting points on the PS3 specs and made the cheaper PS3 look like a worthwile purchase - I’d pay the extra $100 (compared to the 360) just to use my PSP as a wing mirror in a racing game (allthough it IS a gimmick… but a cool one).

Instead we’re discussing Nintendo marketing strategy… again (with some unfortunate retarded views in the anti Wii camp this time around)
I like that the two Japanese players are targeting different demographics, but I’ll buy the PS3 before the Wii unless the Wii is really cheap - this is the one unknown in Nintendos grand scheme.

Yeah but you shouldn’t need to transfer software via a memorycard – that shit should happen automatically over the wireless. And if not over wireless, then via a cable. If, to use PSP connectivity, you have to manually transfer software on a memory card, they’ve either done something wrong, or chose to do it in a fashion that would force people to pay extra on the system.

I think what’s most worrying to me about the $100 cheaper PS3 is how they avoided talking about the differences at all at the press conference. Everyone had to find out with the press kit afterwards.

So the question that pops up in my mind when considering the cheaper console is, “What the hell else didn’t they tell us about it?”

$500 is still a lot of bank for me to throw down on the PS3. Especially when it appears to be guaranteed that their launch library is going to be mediocre, and my 360 is going to have a strong finish to the year as long as things release on schedule.

Internet threats. Nice. How’s that working out for you? Do you find that people straighten up and fly right once you assert that you can manipulate them like paper?

I’m not claiming that they don’t. I’m claiming that they have said recently that they are focusing on non-gamers with the Wii. I do own a Gamecube, by the way. My wife and son are particularly fond of it.

I missed the part where I said or implied anything of that nature. In case you aren’t aware, most review formats give grades to things like “Graphics” and “Control.” Now that Nintendo and some of the zealots who blindly follow them claim that graphics don’t matter, I’m just wondering if that category will be re-purposed.

I am filing that in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” category.

Remember, this is the same company that loved to talk about how the Cell processor will connect to your refrigerator and your friend’s house down the street to give you more processing power while playing Gran Turismo 5.

Bullshit johnathan. I’m enjoying AIM and web browsing on my PS2 RIGHT NOW.

Probably because the missing features were all things Sony had been hyping as being either cool or important for the future in the past. Now I guess they arn’t quite as important anymore…

I would say that the $499 version is the one that most people should focus on. It’s no “retard pack” like the $299 Xbox360 given that it has everything the premium version has.

Its has several missing features Sony hyped that would be included now arn’t going to be. Also the 360 has wireless and the retard PS3 pack doesn’t.

I see what you did there.

Yeah, now K0NY’s the everyman and Nintendo is for kids. Good play!

Er, what? Where?!
The 360 has an overpriced addon to make it wireless, I’m sure the cheaper PS3 will too. While still limited, I think the cheapest PS3 is much less a retarded version of it’s bigbrother than the tard 360 was.

I agree. Hopefully the statement is wrong or it will be fixed. I don’t think they’re forcing people to pay extra (who hasn’t got a Memorystick for their PSP) but it’s just typical of Sony to do stuff like that in a roundabout and stupid way - exhibit A is every piece of Sony software ever made for the pc (no, wait, their printer software is pretty good). I recently had the Sony AIBO for a month - here you have this nifty expensive cute and really advanced robot, that can blog wirelessly an email you photos… but if you want to upgrade it or change it’s WiFi settings you need to pop out its brain (a 64 MB Memorystick) and put it in your pc.

Although I largely agree with kitsune, I’ll reply to these quotes as they were responses to my message

Just like the DS targets non-gamers with brain age and nintendogs (and to a lesser extent animal crossing). Does this mean the DS doesn’t get “deep and hardcore” games? The succes/release of phoenix wright, advance wars and release of starfox DS, children of mana, mother 3 and many other games beg to differ - these are franchise that are succesful because of the hardcore. Like kitsune said: most nintendo fans are as hardcore as they come on console gaming - since a lot of them have been playing games since the 80’s.

Sure. But did you try to finish mario sunshine for example? I finished it and I can say that it was a damn hard game, certainly not for beginners. While zelda:wind waker was pretty easy, the much higher acclaimed OoT certainly wasn’t, and Twilight princess seems to go more into the OoT direction then WW.

The hardcore (nintendo fans) will buy the Wii launchday and buy both the gamecube and the Wii version (check gaf if you think i’m making this up). I consider myself a modest nintendo fan and will buy the Wii version, since it’s something new that i’d like to try.

No, you claimed:

• the hardcore gamer.

I call bullshit, since nintendo showed 2 “semi non gamer” titles for Wii (music conductor and Wii:sports) that were obvious not big budget projects - and a lot of very big project games that are for their core fanbase (metroid, mario:galaxy, fire emblem, super paper mario (although gc), excite truck, zelda, Smash brothers).

Targeting the nongamers often doesn’t need a lot of development investment - brain age and nintendogs show this - so nintendo will focus a lot to bringing these kind of titles in between their normal releases, but thinking or claiming that they would walk away from one of their biggest assets - their fanbase - is ridiculous.

This seems a little like a bump, but Sony now seem to be promoting the cheaper pack as the ‘gamer pack’.Everything is upgradeable bar the HDMI, so it makes sense to buy the cheaper pack now and buy a dedicated Blu-Ray player when the need arises.

Also, claiming that Nintendo are not aiming their console at their hardcore fanbase is essentially claiming Nintendo are stupid. Which is itself moronic.

The official Nintendo party line is that they’re trying to bring in new people while still pleasing existing gamers. They keep saying that - pretty much exactly that - over and over. What they are doing isn’t much different from what Sony is doing with their media hub, which Kony has defended for the reason that he does stuff other than play games. K0NY is a retarded sack of shit.

360 does not have wifi unless you mean controllers then both versions of the PS3 have wireless.

… and the tard pack 360 is sold with a wired controller, so he’d still be wrong.

Apparently the folks at Eurogamer weren’t impressed - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64797

Exactly. You still get a perfectly working Blu-Ray player, it’s just not a future proof Blu-Ray player.

Wasn’t Sony shouting HDMI and 1080p from the rooftops last year? Didn’t they poo poo the 360’s component output?