Gamers are already drawing battle lines over the Battlefield V trailer

Right! And their marketing saying they are socially relevant and empowering is also bogus. I’ll buy that.

Done.

Truest statement of the day.

Well most marketing is bogus. But is it any more bogus than Lucasfilm doing their first reveal of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones with Vanity Fair in an attempt to appeal to women?

EA sees what everyone else is seeing: there are tons and tons of women and girls playing Fortnite. And getting some of them to try BF is probably crucial to their success. They will try all sorts of things to make that happen.

Agreed. So back to the one. Why did this all start with Qt3 talking about an imaginary gamer war started by EA in press releases in an attempt to sell 50 more copies of BF V to women ?

Uh, pretty sure EA didn’t start it. I can assure you it’s not beneficial to be in the crosshairs of these idiots.

I have yet to see an article in any gaming organ that doesn’t begin with an EA exec saying a version of “We’re not being pushed off course in our attempt to empower women!” And there being no comments or anything being cited. Troll-marketing. Like the Ghostbusters film.

You’re not looking hard enough then. This is the original story.

Yes, this is where I pulled the assertion that DICE were going for FUN over authenticity, but then, if that is the case, why set it in World War 2 in the first place?

Other than that World War 2 is now old and ripe enough for a new era of public domain myth-making…

Yup two twitter comments (one of the same guy I have seen again and again in these articles) and the rest is marketing “outrage” by EA.

Are you seriously not able to search #NotMyBattlefield and see that you’re dead wrong?

Many times, and they are mostly people talking about how women did die and fight in ww2 (true) and about how ahistorically “SUGAR RUSH” the game is (without mentioning women), In fact when I just clicked, the first 100 tweets (I stopped there) didn’t have one anti woman comment in them.

I am 100% fine with women being represented in the game. And think it looks like a diaper-fire train wreck. EA wants to drown out any and all righteous criticism of their design by having a phony issue that any negative comment can be filed under.

“I think your game is bad”

“You hate women, troglodyte.”

What?"

Once again, this is how Sony marketed a HORRIBLE Ghostbusters movie:

I figured that’s what people mean when they say the internet is like the wild west. If you aren’t quicker on the draw with your outrage, you’re going to get gunned down. Now skin that smokewagon and see what happens!

So you find games set in historical settings without taking a realistic tack to be public domain myth-making?

giphy1212

Women weren’t prominently in games because it was considered in extremely poor taste to allow women to be killed or shot etc in games, so we internalised it as there not being many women in games for reasons of good taste - same goes for children, hence the phrase “Women and Children”.

Please forgive us old mid to late 20s + people if it takes time for us to adjust to the new world where virtual women and men can be virtually shot at equally, nay it is demanded that this be the case.

I am still trying to process this U-turn of the video game industry. One moment it was unacceptable for Lara Croft to be in so much peril, but now it is a good idea to potentially see women and men killed in equal measure on the battlefields of World War 2.

Indeed.

I guess I have no other reply than to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. It must be hard to see women being interested in gaming now that they are being represented in some new ways. I understand.

Hopefully you’ll be able to catch up with the rest of us at some point.

No no no no no… there is no issue with women playing games, in fact I welcome & encourage it. My sister plays video games.

It is the constant U-turns and fashion trend changes surrounding the acceptability of depictions of women in video games that is impossible to keep up with, and it will never be solved. NEVER. So song as there are people, politicians etc, trends will alwayss be cycling through the different possibilities. There is no answer.

Yeah, I get it. It can be hard to understand how at one point when gaming was nearly 100% male the depiction of women was about damsels in distress and gigantic boobs. But now that there are more women actually playing games, and a desire to broaden that even further, we for some reason must make the depictions about more than just being the object of male desire.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you while you try to keep your head on straight figuring this out. Times are tough for folks who just want to play as the old school Lara Croft. One day she has triple-D boobs and the next she’s being played by Alicia Vikander?! I mean how is one supposed to keep up with that?! I mean what’s next? Fat girls in games?

I get it.

I think maybe people pay too much attention to the marketing/thinkpiece/hype engines behind these things.