Games and endorpins

So I have been replaying jagged alliance 2 for the 3rd or 4th time and I become aware of a little ‘rush’ I get everytime the ‘my guys’ ‘kills’ one of the ‘bad guys’. Of course, this experience is common. But I was wondering if the micro-“rush” that I feel on “shooting and killing an enemy” in a computer game may actually be caused by a release of endorphins? If so, can anyone out there explain how is it that my (and other’s) physiology has come to regard my ability to initiate such pixel representations worthy of such a reward?

I’m not sure myself. However I’ve had an acute ear infection for the past week. Only a cocktail of controlled pain killers is able to give me any relief from a pain which I think is second to a kidney stone attack I’ve had. What I have found though is that the pain is also way less noticeable when I’m playing something on the computer. Reading a book in the same position doesn’t give the same effect. At the moment it’s Enemy Territory giving me relief. Maybe they should ask for a medical subsidy?

I don’t think you are being affected by endorphins. Endorphins are released by your brain to compensate for pain. The substance is literally a natural form of morphine. Endorphins are responsible for runner’s high; the body releases them to deal with the pain that comes after running long distances. Of course, the runner gets a bit of a high, too.

I’m not sure what you’re experience with JA. It’s been 6 months since I’ve studied brain physiology. Look it up on the internet.

That’s adrenaline I think.