Games and other junk that you could kickstart... right now!

So it’s nice to fantasize about sequels of old games we love, but there’s certainly no shortage of interesting Kickstarter stuff that’s already out there, so let’s buzz market them here. Here’s a cool one:

Hello! My name is Feric and I’m a conceptual designer. Thanks for checking out my project! We are making an interactive game to tell the story of my clumsy egg-shaped robot friend, Roda. Put yourself in the shoes of Roda as he flies, jumps, swings, pushes, and slides through the fantasy world of Happical Zoo and meet other crazy robots!
The concept art is amazing. Look at this crazy robot giraffe and imagine interacting with it fully animated on your iPad!

Look at it!

EDIT: Oh shit, this one already failed! I feel horrible, now. Post other wonderful things in hopes that they don’t meet the same fate as Roda.

EDIT the Second: Oh shit, again! Apparently there is a beta of this released on the app store. It’s now just billed as a story book instead of a game, but it’s lovely and it’s free! This post has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me, and I’d like to thank you all for joining me.

[[B]

Code Hero is a game that teaches you how to make games so you can learn to code while you play with a Code Gun that shoots Javascript in Unity 3D!
[/B]](http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/primerist/code-hero-a-game-that-teaches-you-to-make-games-he?ref=discover_pop)

This is a pretty interesting project that’s two thirds funded with six days left to donate. For at least a dollar, you get beta access as well as the option to get the full game for just a dollar more.

Not on Kickstarter, but using a different service that they’re trying to build as a fully supported environment for “kickstarting” games. It provides the funding mechanism, and the website, and the ability for the donars to interact with the devs through forums, e-mail, media, downloads, etc. And more than Kickstarter, you can donate at any point, it’s a progressive beta type thing. You can get access to the beta at any point, and depending on how much you donate, you get the full game on launch, or just access to the beta and a discount at launch.

The only game up on it at the moment is Project Cars. A car racing sim in the vein of rFactor and the like. Someone I know is into it at the moment as says the game is good. Plus they’ve got The Stig advising them on car related stuff, and he even races in the multiplayer so you might legitimately be able to say you’re faster than The Stig, at some point.

Also the rewards in this project range from the entry level €10, where you get monthly beta builds, your donation taken off the launch price and the ability to post on the forums. To the mid range where get weekly builds, the ability to view the Devs’ meetings’ notes, are allowed to start topics on the forums and the full game at launch. All the way up to rich person level, where you get the devs e-mail address and can pm them on the forums, drivers in the game named after you, and access to a stream and subsequent download of all the devs’ meetings/conferences.

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

Edit: Just checked. The mid level package lets you view a stream of the dev meetings. The top package lets you sit in on the meetings.

I am uncomfortable with the use of the words “kickstart” and “junk” being used in such close proximity.

You know, I just had a lengthy conversation about the Code Hero Kickstarter with the Reddit community yesterday. I think it’s a cool concept, it’s something that I’d definitely chip in to, but I feel like the Code Hero team failed to justify the $100,000 goal. They’ve got a lot to show with their current build, and haven’t really identified any financial obstacles that they’re facing as a team right now.

To correct you, they’re slightly less than a third of the way funded at $32,823 of the $100,000 goal right now. They could have easily gotten away with a $25,000 and had some extra money to show for it, but I’m not quite sure they’ll make it to $100,000. Still though, even if they fail this was good exposure for their project, it just sucks that they’ll not see any of the money pledged already.

I don’t understand how the goal was unjustified. They said they need 6 months to make the project and there’s a team of 6 people (4 programmers, 2 artists). Let’s assume they each typically get paid $50k a year (conservative for programmers and good artists). That would be $50K x 6 people * 0.5 (since it’s only half a year) = $150k which is quite a bit more than they asked for. Arguably they should have asked for less and hoped to get more, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were having trouble paying people to work on it for six months with $100k. Making games is expensive.

Just submitted my new music project, fingers crossed.

Really? You know what, try to pitch giving yourself and/or your team a salary as the primary goal of raising capital via any other means of investment (banks, private investors, VCs, etc.), and see how that goes for you. Usually that’s a red flag that you’re dealing with people that lack business sense. Sure you can attempt to negotiate a fair market salary when raising for a business, but right now all they’re doing is developing and raising capital for a single product.

The team of six have found the time to develop Code Hero and get as far as it without being paid for it. Their reward should come with the success of their product during the pre-sell period and/or post launch, assuming they’ve put together something that truly is appealing to consumers. The fact that they want to start tapping into money for personal gain right now through Kickstarter (if that truly is the reason) makes me wonder if they’ve lost confidence in their ability to sell their product and make a return that way.

Normally you raise money to help you overcome obstacles that you’re facing with your business. The need for office space, equipment, software licenses, manpower, development costs, distribution, etc. You do not raise capital just to pay yourself a salary while you work towards getting your business going, I’m sorry. I mean we’re talking business 101 here. Usually when you’re working towards getting a business going you’ve got to be willing to put in the work even if it means not having a salary (or not having a competitive salary) until the business can generate sufficient income.

I’ll totally kickstart your junk, Ultrazen. Let us know if it goes up!