Games for a fresh father

Spelunky!

Also, congrats! When my son was born the expansion for BG2 had just come out. It was a rough period in my life. :)

Sorry. I am easily amused.

Hey @ImaTarget congrats!

So I’ve been there, quite recently (prepping for my daughters 1st birthday tomorrow). So I’ll tell you what I played:

Xcom
Unity of Command
Europa Universalis
Kerbal Space Program
Witcher 3
Various Total Wars
Final Fantasy Tactics (again)

Should be something there you can use ;)

I second Solar Settlers and add Age of Rivals. They’re games that you can finish in 15 minutes and need you to use some brain power, but not so much that you can’t play when you’re exhausted.

I was in this situation awhile back. I suggest multiplayer asynch IOS board games if you can. Lots of them are simple and you can ping @Dave_Perkins for asynch play. Turns usually last a few minutes at most.

It got me through my first kid and best of all, made some new friends too.

I avoided anything that required too much reading or thought, as I covered the night shift for my kids. I’d be the one up dealing with crying, changing, feeding overnights while she slept. Only if I couldn’t console them did I wake her to let them have the boob.

I played a lot of Civ, XCom, and WoW. The latter was easy as I was solo questing and didn’t much care if I died. I also caught up on a ton of tv and movies.

When my daughter was a newborn I played stuff I could play with one arm. PC mouse stuff, no action, nothing requiring hotkeys. I played some Hearthstone, some Hex: Shards of Fate, some Faeria, some Rocket Mania and Bejeweled Twist.

I also watched a lot of Sopranos during those late night sessions while my wife was catching up on her sleep. I hope none of that trickled into baby’s brain…

Thank you all for the well wishes and great suggestions. If there are more keep them coming, I am filling out my steam wishlist.

The Binding of Isaac and Sleep.

Also we should add a warning that your username is going to turn out quite prophetic around diaper changing time. Better work on those reflexes!

Eternal Card Game.

Man, that black tar poop still haunts my dreams.

The smell.

That ain’t the bad stuff. In fact it has very little smell indeed.

What is rancid, however, are the ones when the baby first starts taking solid food. Broccoli poop is the worst.

First of all, congratulations!

As for which games to play, there are three lightweights that I have been passing time with lately:

50 Years

Glass Masquerade

Lapland Solitaire

I hope that helps you out.

You never have your mouth open while changing a diaper. Let me repeat that. Never have your mouth open while changing a diaper.

Or your eyes, if you value your sanity.

When your baby goes from breast milk to solid food… the new poop smell. Then to meat in their diet…

Try Monster Slayers. Tom have a nice review on it.

Congratulations, ImaTarget.

Unfortunately, turn-based is a bit out of my wheelhouse but for a rewarding low-investment experience, my current favorite is a sweet snowboarding game called Alto’s Adventure for android and IOS - it’s very addictive! Also, I can’t recommend the Switch enough for the ability to turn it off and on and resume playing right where you left off at a moments notice.

When my first daughter was born EQ was in full swing. That was a challenge haha.

Card hunters a great game.
Really anything that can be paused.