Games Journalism 2012: The ... Sinkening

Oh, I agree, he is hot/cold. The title was interesting, so I decided to check out the page. I figured hey! Maybe he talked to some crazy game-peripheral designer, or some creators of these characters.

Nope, just a blog.

I don’t really understand why it’s different if they’re on staff, except that then you can force them to work unpaid overtime. Either the value of a game review > hourly cost * hours required, or it isn’t. Being on staff or not doesn’t change any of those numbers.

I’m saying that if they’re on staff, they should be getting paid for the number of hours they work on the clock playing the game. Is that not correct? Do even on staff writers play the games on their own time? If they do, then my sympathies go out to them.

Yeah, I guess my point is that it changes the compensation equation, but not the overall economics. If it’s profitable for the staff writer, then in theory, they could pay the freelancer for time spent playing, too.

Edit: In my previous post I replied to you, but really mostly a response to this:

I wonder how much he actually played to say that the commander is “all new” to the XBLA version when I’m fairly sure it was in even the first mission of the PC version. Not enough that I’m not incredibly skeptical about his preference of the ipad version over the PC one

When I worked at PCG, I played games all the time at home in the evenings and the weekends. Just part of the job.

Likewise. I actually very rarely get a chance to play games at the office - that’s where the writing/editing happens. Playing games is almost exclusively at home, on my own time.

Not really a proper sinkening I suppose, but “’'tec” seems fairly obscure? Please say OXM were this close to putting out a cover with “tortured dick” on it.

What does it mean?

WTF? Tortured 'tec? What is that? Is that supposed to be detective?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard that.

Ohh!! detective. Maybe it’s that. I was wondering wtf 'tec meant.

Its the new edgy way to 'te words.

It’s just a mistake in using an open quote mark instead of an apostrophe.

Still not an abbreviation I’m familiar with or ever use.

Reminds me of reading a very long news article a Worcester warehouse fire for a class in college. . . never knew that “Jake” was a slang term for firefighter till the teacher had to explain to tall the non Bostonians in the room.

Let me tell you, that Jake dude was one heroic sumbitch.

Tec, 'tec, and teck go back to about the 1880s.

That still doesn’t make it commonly understood now.

I’ve no idea whether the word is commonly understood now (or how to gauge that easily). It’s still in common use, though (I expect mainly in mystery novels). I need to check the corpus data when I’m at work.

Why get upset over encountering a new word? Alliteration is important!

I just want to read the story about rockstar hitting xbox live with their tortured dick :(