Games Journalism 2014: The Wherever-the-hell-this-has-gone

Just keep in mind that several BF folks are friends with QT3 folks on XBL, PSN, and Steam, as well as both forums sharing the same Gamertag DB. So if they do start to dox BF people and their affiliates…

Hey, there are plenty of BF folks who I was sorry to see go, but I can’t control what other folks do, good or bad. But I’ve never supported harassment or net attacks on anyone, nor have I applauded when such things happen to folks I might disagree with on a particular issue.

It’s entirely likely that the internet needs its own version of caller ID to make up for the unfortunate anonymity that a lot of bad actors take advantage of. But then, full disclosure encourages its own set of trolling.

…and lo, on the 24th day of September, 2014, the conflict between the feral BF children and the Wardell sycophants ignited, commencing the War of the Drama Queens

Ooh. That did seem to come out of left shield, but directing an internet mob after a group is not okay. This mob seems to want to just watch things burn for the fun of it.

It’s certainly not okay.

But neither is coming over here to fling shit at Brad. (Or, well, coming over here to fling shit, period…)

It was nice while it lasted. The whole 59 minutes of it.

Isn’t there a thread for this other stuff in P&R now? I’d really like to get back to talking about gaming journalism, and how the problem isn’t the women journos may or may not be sleeping with, but the strippers that they’re being provided with in exchange for good reviews?!?!?!?!

You heard it here first folks; #StripperGate is the new buzzword!

Actually, #ComicGate is. No. I’m not making that up.

Oh, #Strippergate. If only I read the tabloids.

Remember a while back Colbert had a fun piece on the ‘gates’ the US media like to talk about, even mentioned WatergateGate.

I thought the whole ‘drama’ of the last few weeks had died down now and whatever happened to Blizzard Titan?

And so you help Brad Wardell make his case. The idiocy of people on the intrawebs never cease to amaze me.

Jesus, there really seems to be no limit to the degree people are willing to be cruel and hateful to each other online. Thread finally moved to P&R and barely lasted an hour before turning into a cesspool and getting locked.

It’s too bad, there are valid concerns on both sides, but there’s so much anger and resentment it’s almost impossible to discuss it. It was discussed here for days though relatively calmly.

“The Wherever-the-hell-this-has-gone”

Prophetic.

It did escalate quickly. Clearly, there are a lot of hard feelings out there.

Did this already posted? I always find it charming when the The Economists takes time o cover video games. In this case, they’re focusing on the budgets.

Right on about the sequels, but I am a fan of well done sequentials.

Essentially true. There are over 7000 members on BF and its carved its own niche in gaming discussions. The vast majority of the members have no interest in and have never participated in the Wardell discussion there. And even Brad admitted in the now locked thread that Lum has made efforts, to the degree he can without throwing free speech out the window, to keep things within reason. After all, Lum has no control over what people do outside of his forum.

It’d be nice if someone would rise above the rhetoric, but I guess that’s expecting too much. Neither side can seem to let it go.

This post is just going to have to stand in for your other posts. I can’t speak for everyone on BF, but if you take a look over there you’ll discover that almost no one cares one whit about anything other than theagreed upon facts. The purity test, his actions, the HR fiasco. The difference seems to lie in that Brad and others don’t feel that sending out sex quiz’s to your company’s general population can count as sexual harassment if someone takes offense. I guess you could also leave room in there for believing it’s improper/sexual harassment but that he shouldn’t be confronted on it. Many on BF obviously disagree with that, that it can count as sexual harassment or if it doesn’t match the legal definition be ethically terrible. Especially when you get into the power dynamics and the HR situation. If you want something easy to look at, his point #3 is what many object to

#3, however is not acceptable to me. I am an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar and embarrassing person and I’m not inclined to change my behavior. If this is a problem, you need to find another job.”

As for the settlement, the settlement has nothing to do with whether either case had or did not have legal merit.

Sorry I don’t want to reignite anything about the Wardell case, lets just agree that it’s murky for some any many people come down on different sides of the issue based upon their interpretation of the released facts.

Anyway, as someone who cares not a whit about Brad, his willingness to encourage indiscriminant Doxing and harassment makes him just as bad, if not worse, than the people he states to dislike. It feels like he’s willing to shoot a shotgun in a crowded room, his willingness to include uninvolved people is what damns him. It doesn’t make me feel angry, it makes me feel sad that I don’t want read what used to be one of my favourite developers has to say because he’s so willing to wade into the muck.

Can we drop the talk about Brad? He is not a sympathetic figure, but there is a reason that thread got locked. It crossed the line.

Not a bad article at all. It’s a bit obvious to those of us who follow the games industry closely, but overall it hits the broad strokes of the industry financials. That a mainstream publication got it right like that is quite shocking really.

I know we are all sick of gamergate, but I was saddened to hear this on NPR last night. Video games make national news (NPR, but it is national) and it is to air our dirty laundry for all to hear.

NPR Article

Nice article, lots of people who aren’t into videogames imo don’t understand how much work is a video game, how in a video game everything has to be done to exist: from every character, every item, every room, every little movement of hands or feet, every spark or every light ray going through a window, even things that are invisible and always there in RL like gravity, friction, collision between physical objects, etc, even hidden stuff like the own camera the game uses, etc.