Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

Hey, it’s cool when your sixth grade teacher would occasionally close the blinds and let the class do the dance on our desks.

I mean that was cool to 12 year old me, so I mean…

It was a staple of our 6th grade dance! So cool.

Haha, that is cool. Of the teacher ;-)

Looking Glass/Irrational though, they knew how to make the Macarena cool:

https://youtu.be/Mb766HmFrNI

This is an example of cross-media time dilation for me. For some reason, SS2 seems much older than the Macarena in my brain. Another example: it’s weird to think that Kurt Cobain died during the 16-bit era of console gaming.

Well, this is one way to end your esports career.

[quote]
Toronto Esports has today announced the release of Matt “Dellor” Vaughn from their organization, citing breach of contract. The circumstances of the dismissal relate to an incident where Dellor used abusive and discriminatory racial language while streaming. “Toronto Esports is an organization built on inclusivity, and we have always had a zero- tolerance policy for any forms of discrimination,” said President Ryan Pallett. “Immediately upon learning of the incident, the player was interviewed, admitted to the offense, and was notified that his contract with the organization was being terminated.”[/quote]

Full non-apology here.

At like 150 Followers I;m not sure he was much of a pro to begin with. . .

Although, Huk, previously of Starcraft 2 fame, is their manager. . .

I’m fairly certain I’ve seen this exact incident and apology before?! De ja vu?

Racists… Racists never change.

I wonder if someday, hopefully in the not too distant future, we’ll look back and think ‘man, why was everyone so angry?’

We probably always were, only the drunkard’s hate speech at the local bar was gone with the wind.

Agreed. Although I also feel bad that there is a generation growing up whose “young people say dumb ass things they later regret” phase is now a public and permanent record.

In this case, the offender was 28. Not much sympathy here.

fair point.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say we will come together to fight the heat death of the planet. Too late.

Generally, the media hysterics and the amount of “me-to” hate aimed towards these people who fuck up online far outweigh the number of people their message was broadcast to, to begin with.

Pretty sure everyone has or will at one point express something that someone else would call racist (“legitimately” or otherwise), it is just that most of “us” have the tendency or are lucky enough to not have it broadcast to enough people that our careers or social life suffer any damage, be it permanent or temporary.

I suppose it is easier to stand with the crowd throwing rocks, it is usually bigger, which means you’re less likely to stand out yourself and risk being targeted or suffer closer scrutiny.

Seemed all right to me. I hope he learns how to deal with his issues.

Sure. I think we can all sympathize with the idea that we say things with our close acquaintances that we might not say in front of less familiar ears. I’ll admit I said things as a young man in the military that weren’t what we’d call okay now. That said, I’ve also never found myself in the position of having to apologize for blasting the n-word for over 30 straight seconds regardless of circumstances. (Try that in the Army and you’ll learn a hard lesson for sure!) That’s a fair bit more than throwing my controller and yelling “fuck” at the TV, or saying something disparaging about someone while they’re trying to actually literally shoot you. Especially when you consider that this is a 28-year-old man we’re talking about. This guy needs some anger management tools, and in the meanwhile, he may not be the best fit for a competitive venue.

Edit

As for what I called his non-apology, I don’t think it was okay. The only entity he actually says “sorry” to is Toronto Esports. He didn’t apologize to the person he slurred for half a minute, and despite saying “no excuse” twice he offers a number of excuses. Primarily, the person he was insulting was a “cheater” and that he’s totally not a racist - he just defaults to yelling the n-word for for 30 seconds because it was his go-to for the “most offensive thing that came to mind” when he wanted to really stick it someone. Also, his internet was lagging and he’d only had a couple of hours of sleep.

At any rate, I hope he seeks help and straightens his life out.

Yeah, this is not your garden variety fuckup. This guy has issues.

You’re right, he could’ve apologized to his listeners. I always like to hear why meltdowns happen though. Scary.

It’s an mind maze exercise to me to think that the most offensive thing you can call a person is some slur that suggests they’re black. You’d think this day and age something else would come to mind like, oh i don’t know, terrorist.