Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

It’s just short for “cuckold”.

Yes,there’s that much baked in misogyny in the American right. You’re welcome, world.

Aye, I got that much but wasn’t familiar with that word either! Its meaning isn’t as bad as I thought though. Still, I’ve no idea why it’s apparently used so often by the alt-right. I mean, why? What the hell? I get luvvies and snowflakes and all that crap but ‘cuck’ just seems so out there and specific, like a child that learnt a new word and is just using it whenever possible, despite not understanding what it meant.

Well, you see, us liberals are so weak and overly trusting that we’re basically inviting these dark skinned savages into our countries dnd even homes, where they’ll presumably have their way with our women before murdering us in our beds and taking our jobs… The same women, by the way, that we’re too weak and unmanly to truly capture the love and loyalty of anyway, because we don’t use PUA tactics and patriarchal religions to tamp down women’s natural hypergamic instinct…

Good Christ I hate the alt right.

edit: it’s probably worth noting that a lot of this grew out of the toxic alt-right predecessor communities on 4chan (e.g., /pol/), reddit (e.g., /theredpill), and other internet cesspools before merging with the more mainstream communities at places like Breitbart.

I like to call the alt-right cucks for voting for the uber-cuck loser Donald Trump as president.

I’ll cross-post this one from the Alien: Isolation thread. It’s dedicated to the fine reporting in OPM!

Rumors got started last week that Relic was working on Alien Isolation 2, thanks to the UK’s Official PlayStation Magazine.

Of course, this is categorically untrue. OPM was talking out of their ass.

[quote]
Although the Halo Wars 2 team has already started prototyping its next project, likely to be a couple of years away from completion, this won’t be an Alien title.

More than that, we’re told the majority of the Alien: Isolation design team no longer works at Creative Assembly. Cross-referencing the more recent Halo Wars 2 credits with the credits for Alien: Isolation certainly suggests this is the case. In fact, most of the names that do reappear only do so in the ‘Special Thanks’ section and belong to designers that now work elsewhere.[/quote]

Remember, this is what SEGA said in 2015:

[quote]
“2.1 million sales? It just didn’t break out,” Heaton explains. "Am I happy about that? I’m not happy about that, right. I think it did under-index in America. I think the genre just didn’t shine with an audience that would let us break out. 2 million is fine, right - let’s be clear - but we were unsure right till the very end about whether we would hit that break out space or not.

"Making a AAA console game is bloody hard. We absolutely sweated blood for that game, we came through, and felt really happy at the end of it.

“Alien: Isolation 2 is not out of the question, because we’re so proud of it and there’s possibly more to be said. But do we really want to be spending very significant amounts of money, and getting close to break-even or just about in the black? That’s not where Sega wants to be, when we have a brilliant portfolio of other games that do great business.”[/quote]

To sum up: Despite the critical and audience love for this game, it’s not getting a sequel anytime soon. The sales just didn’t match up to expectations. According to SEGA’s reporting, Alien Isolation fell short of the mark by about 15%.

Dammit, I only bought two copies, how could I have let them down this way? OK, I’m off to Steam.

Oh boy! A Polygon opinion piece about diversity in Call of Duty!

[quote]
Activision and Sledgehammer Games pulled the wrapper off their glamour franchise today, and despite the exclusively white and male makeup of those doing so on stage, they want you to think this is a more inclusive tale of World War II. It may yet be. We won’t know until Nov. 3.[/quote]

But we had to get this article up, stat!

Yeah, Polygon has some really good stuff, and their site design is great. But the ratio of good work to think-pieces is garbage.

“We didn’t talk to anyone working on the game about this, but here is a really strong accusation!”

Additionally, this is just a weird unnecessary reaction piece to a game reveal. It is super duper negative in tone, and makes a lot of leaps of imagination when it comes to the intent of that press event.

Schofield followed this with a reference to the game’s female lead.
“Rousseau, the powerful female leader of the French Resistance,” he
said, as if reading from a cue card. Powerful female. We get it.

Jesus.

Concern trolling at its finest.

That’s one way of looking at history.

I think you see from the over-enthusiastic embrace of things like the musical Hamilton the contemporary political space is making history not what it was but what they think it should be. I don’t think any serious historian forgot women’s Soviet pilots, the Tuskegee airmen, the Maori battalions, or the Apache radio operators, but they were also able to place their contribution in context of the larger overall view. But since history today is not seen as interesting in recreating stories of what actually happened but bringing out untold stories of non-traditional identity groups as the only reason to look backward at all, there’s is a lot of feigned “why are we talking about this?” if it’s nothing but white guys involved, as if that’s the only proper response.

It’s really weird considering how positive the other article about the Call of Duty: WWII reveal is on the same site. I know it’s different authors and all that, but that’s gotta sting if you’re Sledgehammer.

“The next Call of Duty looks really promising because the devs are putting a lot of care and research into it!”

“The developers are a bunch of tone-deaf white guys using minorities as marketing props!”

Speaking as someone that’s played a ton of games, I wouldn’t mind a Call of Duty from the POV of black soldier in the 761st Tank Battalion, or maybe a female sniper like Lyudmila Pavlichenko. Just from the standpoint of not covering the same old Normandy landing scenario, or slavishly aping scenes from movies and TV shows, or outright recreating bits from earlier games, showing WW2 from diverse viewpoints wouldn’t be such a bad thing. Out of the all the WW2 games, we’ve played a Navajo Code-talker how many times?

I think it says something that Battlefield 1 got a bunch of great discussion when EA/DICE revealed their cover image was of a Harlem Hellfighter. I know people that literally learned about black soldiers in WWI due to that cover image. I also think it says something that hardly anyone commented when the game actually came out and that character turned out to be in the game for all of 20 seconds.

[/quote][quote=“Enidigm, post:312, topic:127981”]
I don’t think any serious historian forgot women’s Soviet pilots, the Tuskegee airmen, the Maori battalions, or the Apache radio operators, but they were also able to place their contribution in context of the larger overall view.
[/quote]

Well, stateside we have also had a couple of (bombed) blockbusters about the Apache radio operators and Tuskegee airmen respectively, as well as an acclaimed HBO movie about the latter. Tuskegee has popped up in other places (e.g. Hart’s War features an airmen accused of murder in a Prison Camp). And that’s to say nothing of the actual documentary media. Yes, there’s more stuff that’s white people focused, but then there’s are some reasons for this that are not “racisms”.

So, uh, I guess they forgot this stuff in the Polygon article.

Ha! Well, Canada gets caught up in our shit sometimes. :-/

I wonder if this D Day game will mention the commonwealth? Who, you know, took 3/5 beaches and stuff.

In fairness, what kind of a body count did any of them rack up? If the verb you are marketing is “killing stuff,” translating messages and trying not to get shot is probably going to be a hard sell.

I’m not unsympathetic to your overall point though. I want to see good, untold stories and a have a connection to the character I’m animating on the screen, but then . . . the idea of trying to balance that with being the one guy who kills 678 people over the course of the game is going to strain any narrative.

Psh, the easy ones.

We know of at least one white vet who was clueless about black men in a war he was literally in. We’d be crazy to think people know something about history as a given. Diversity is a good idea in general… It just is.

For example I never knew there were black women behind the space launch until I saw a movie. It’s just never something I’ve been told nor assumed. Hollywood is trying and games and should too. It’s not like knowing and sharing that story suddenly takes away from other stories.

Archer?

Chili’s white vet who went to Germany and he “knew” they did not let blacks serve over there.