Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

There’s a noticeable difference between 30 and 60, but I don’t go crazy about it.

Or is that thingy not representative? :

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

That’s just it, isn’t it? You get 13 images, but you’re more likely to get the latest important information in those 13 images if they’re updating at a rate that seems continuous. It’s kind of like monitors versus frame buffers.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m surprised the article didn’t go down this line of questioning.

Yeah, the speed at which the brain processes a frame has nothing to do with the perception of such movement. There’s obviously a difference between 30fps and 60fps and the 13Hz can not be the final answer.

The interesting thing the data seems to point out to is that that difference is not only intrinsically a matter of framerate, but rather a matter of how higher framerates throw more information into each of those 13Hz pulses (plus additional perceptual actions that probably are out of sync with that pulse) thus changing the subjective perception of movement.

The difference in perception when watching a film is way minor than when playing a game (I can still notice it right away, though). That is because cameras do have a lot of built-in smoothing effects (mainly motion blur) because of the way they process light. You get 14fps, but the shutter is open for way more than 24 instants a second. It can be open (and receiving and recording information) for up to 80% of the total time. It is actually when those effects are pared down due to high shutter speeds than the standard 24fps can seem lacking on some shots (strobing on pans).

Here’s a good one. Eurogamer tracked down the author of the “worst game ever made” judged so because it was literally unplayable. 1987’s SQIJ! for the ZX Spectrum.

[quote]
The story of Sqij! is one unique to its time, where schoolboy amateur coders could create games that would end up on the shelves of software shops all over the country. A time when publishers were disappearing with frightening rapidity, and royalty payments too often rock-bottom priorities. A time when 250 people could buy a game that simply did not work at all. So, the next time you pick up your controller and feel the need to vent an indignant rage on the internet, take a moment to think about Sqij!, and wonder if the game you are playing isn’t such an unplayable, broken mess after all.[/quote]

You mean 30 Hz is like a Reuben?

Watch what you say about bologna.

And Swiss cheese is disgusting.

I’ve always been curious - what actually is “Swiss cheese” in an American context? Emmental?

Pretty much.

Close. It’s cheeses made in the U.S. that resemble Emmental.

Is “Swiss cheese” just too generic a term or is it supposed to mean something else?

There are a multitude of cheeses made in Switzerland (like, a whole lot). Us slope-browed Americans can’t handle that kinda complexity, though!

Most US citizens use it to mean any light yellow cheese with holes in it. If asked, I’m sure most people would tell you that “Swiss cheese” comes from “Swissland” or something. I doubt even 10% know what Emmental is.

Sure, that makes sense. I mean, we have “Chinese food” which doesn’t actually do much to resemble a single cuisine in China. I just wasn’t sure if this was a discussion about a cheese I’m not familiar with instead.

I don’t like sharp or stinky cheeses so there are about a dozen I can stand, and every other single one I’ve ever found that I didn’t know about since the age of about 19 has been either too stinky or too sharp.

Smoked cheeses can be delicious though, I’m excluding those from the dozen as I mean pristine, native cheeses only.

I’ve definitely heard multiple people on multiple occasions say both “Dutch… land?” and “Norwegia?”

But I don’t think I’ve ever heard Swiss-land. :P

Most of what I know about Emmental comes from RPGs. Fire Emmentals, Earth Emmentals, Water Emmentals…

Ohhhhh!

But that makes sense, though:

The Emmental Demi-Plane of Cheese!

Presumably you read about that in your gruyere,

Hah. And here I was thinking my phone could use a little more kick and care when really I should have been thinking hey… at least the battery didn’t blow apart and catch fire in my hand!

And most Americans probably couldn’t tell the difference between that and Jarlsberg.

Personally I prefer a good gouda, but love Gorgonzola or blue on a salad or burger.

I can smell more cheese puns coming up.

My wife went to a girlfriend’s house a few weeks back and was tasked with bringing cheese. So into the store she goes and asks the clerk for some recommendations (not being big into cheese herself). She pays for a selection without paying too much attention and gets to her friends house before noticing the clerk had sold her a $75 imported Brie!

Apparently cheese sellers work on commission now!

She couldn’t even try it on account of being pregnant!