Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

The guy used “send nudes” in a non-ironic context. For that alone, he should be punished.

It also seems to be surfacing that his toxic behavior was sort of an “open secret” shared amongst devs and others in the industry for some time now.

If it’s in the course of business. Working in a similar(or same) industry doesn’t mean it is automagically in the course of business. A Doctor sending sexually suggestive texts to a Nurse who works at a separate Hospital isn’t in the course of business, but you seem to believe it is.

If what he did was connected to his work, then it should have been reported to his employer. If what he did was not connected to his work and was not illegal, why is he being publicly shamed to an audience of hundreds of thousands, or millions?

Either way, this seems to be another example of people acting deplorably (in a different way) while declaring how deplorable someone else is - particularly as there are almost no details as to what he did or what he sent.

Pitchforks out!

When you’re industry is known to have a sexism problem, and you have one group saying no, no it doesn’t, and another that implies it’s a problem in house, in the community and now just to communicate within the industry and some ass solicits nudes from women he engaged for work purposes… it’s not an if and that’s news worthy.

It isn’t an industry problem, is it certain individuals who work in an industry. The only people branding it as a industry problem are those with an agenda.

The people that are branding it an problem within the tech industry and also gaming, are not necessarily in the industry. Join the crowds, read millions of people, who work in an industry where the public has a certain perception that not only you do not get to control that perception, but the world does not measure decency by what is legal and illegal either.

I don’t think there’s been a month, lately, that has gone by without some article about a tech exe resigning due to some sex scandal. I don’t know if that happens in most industries or not, but it sure spreads like wildfire for tech. And that’s exes, throw in these journalist, streamers, and it might even cover every month this year.

More Polygon news! Arthur Gies is kind of leaving journalism. Kind of.

I’m not leaving for a job at another outlet, which would be totally fine, or to take a position in PR or development, though that would also be fine. Instead, I will effectively semi-retire from the games press as I start a new chapter in my life. At the end of August, I begin a Masters of Fine Arts program at SFAI, with a focus in painting and drawing.

I suppose I’m not leaving games completely. I will continue to produce and appear on Rebel FM, talking about games and whatever else we all feel like, and theoretically I may pick up a freelance gig here or there, as well as dip a toe or three or four into some consulting work, because, as it turns out, graduate school is really, really expensive. I still care about games, and I love talking about them, and if I have some kind of opportunity to help someone make something better, then that feels like a good, productive opportunity.

A big risk, hope it pays off for him.

The Nick Robinson thing is weird… From what we know, he was doing shitty college guy text stuff. That is gross and shitty. But not illegal. It is in the grey area of harassment, especially if someone comes forward as harmed by it.

Like, this is really gross, and as a producer for a company where his personality and likeness are used… This is a bad look.

I really think that an apology might not be good enough.

The internet gossip shame spiral sucks, and cuts both ways. Nick looks bad based off some accusations, and those who accused him probably felt scared to say anything.

Well this sucks.

I thought the only people still making bad student loan decisions were wide-eyed high school graduates. Huh.

With Gies leaving, Crecente out, Robinson (probably) getting the boot all that’s left is for Polygon to fire Kuchera and I might actually start reading their stuff. When you think about it’s impressive they managed to concentrate so many shitty people in a single outlet in the first place.

Robinson’s apology:

Edit: Plus this.

As far as apologies go. . . that’s not too terrible, honestly. Probably not perfect for some folks, and can’t undo a lot of what he did, but. . . not too bad.

At the very least, it’s not an “I’m sorry you were offended” apology.

Well, on the scale of 1 to anthony weiner, this was closer to the one than to Carlos Danger (again, as far as we have been told). So, glad that it is over, and a seemingly sincere apology has been given, and I hope everyone can learn from this experience.

One thing I have thought was great about this whole situation is the level of restraint everyone has had. Nobody doxxing the accusers, or Nick not blaming the SJW media for him “just doing straight guy stuff.”

It was gross and skeevy sliding into those DMs, and light harrasment territory (from what has been made public). He did something bad, and lost his job over it. I hope the parties involved are satisfied with this outcome, and that he sincerely changes his behavior.

That apology was actually way better than what I expected. I hope it’s as sincere as it sounds, and I hope he really learns from his mistakes.

His career is still over, so what’s the point?

And the most cynical post of 2017 is all locked up folks!

Hey, I think it’s a little ghoulish to grade a guy who’s writing his own obituary. We already know how it ends.

In these times of Alt Right, Gamergate, Breitbart, InfoWars, etc. there are a ton of opportunities for toxic individuals to find other work.