Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

Well, he DID get them a heck of a lot more publicity. I had never heard of this game and now I am buying it. So there really is no such thing as bad publicity. I’ll bet if their PR firm had been offered exactly this sequence of events and outcome as a marketing buy, they would have paid money for it.

Ha, maybe so. They did let Conan clueless his way through the game, too.

Perhaps the game’s art will sell itself.

(odd, the link shows up in the preview window but not in the post)

It’s certainly the only reason I’m interested in the game at all.

Btw I want to say that the last time I was seriously good at platformers, the input device was a joystick. Jump was [UP].

The last time I was good at platformers was never, but then again, I suck fucks at all games :)

Are you kidding? This whole Cuphead tempest in a teapot thing proves that my shitty gaming skills are a fucking goldmine!

I’ve just got to stream myself playing neckbeard-favored games, post them to reddit under a pseudonym, and I’ll be rich from hatewatching view counts in no time!

I’m enjoying this as well. I finished the Pillars of Eternity chapter, and am almost done with Uncharted 4’s chapter. In retrospect, I probably should have waited until after I played Uncharted 4 to read this chapter. It goes pretty heavily into detail about what the old plan was for Uncharted 4 under Amy Hennig and what got changed and reveals some major story beats that I didn’t know about.

Don’t forget to just casually throw some triggering words and phrases in there to really fuel the hate.

“This game is really hard. This game sucks. It sucks as much as Gamergate.”

“This game is easy and therefore good. I like this game as much as I like [Zoe Quinn/Anita Sarkeesian].”

All of your videos will have 3600 hateful comments and ten million views, and you can laugh all the way to the bank.

You realize, of course, that Conan is absolutely pay-for-play and the game’s marketing dept spent orders of magnitude more money for that bit than they did to host Takahashi in whatever context he recorded that video, right?

Your grasp of the obvious is as strong as ever.

All those millions of people who didn’t buy those games Conan was bad at because they were too hard. Conan is such an asshole, he should be ashamed of himself. He has no business posting videos of himself playing games.

He didn’t cover himself in glory with the Cuphead video, what with the perving on Kate Upton pretty hard (who came off as a pretty normal girl who likes gaming), and basically ignoring the game. Not sure MS got its promo money’s worth on that one.

But I do know that the exposure that forum delivers has worked, my son went out of his way to get the Tomb Raider reboot after watching Conan stumble his way through it. Exposure at that level, even basic cable, is an order of magnitude greater than what a minor video game site can deliver.

I feel like some people read a completely different article that went with the video.

Cuphead hands-on: My 26 minutes of shame with an old-time cartoon game

I suck at Cuphead.

While my performance on the captured video below is quite shameful, as I never finished the level, I think it shows quite well why Cuphead is fun and why making hard games that depend on skill is like a lost art.

Go ahead, laugh your heart out at my expense.

RickH was talking about a different Cuphead video (the Clueless Gamer segment on Conan).

Conan played Cuphead?

Sweet, this I gotta see.

Ah, fine then. My apologies. I thought he was implying that Takahashi did somehow “cover himself in glory” with his video.

That’s what I thought too, it wasn’t just you.

Oh God, Conan is so obnoxiously unfunny. Give me back Dean Takahashi.

I liked the clueless gamer segments before what they became what they are now. The tone has changed quite a bit, as they used to be about making fun of how stupid the game is for someone without much experience at all in games. “Why does this guy move like this, it is stupid, haha”

The segments are now heavily spon-con, and I feel like the PR people are pushing heavily to not make fun of the game, but to goof on the guests or anything else.

It was fun while it was fresh, but it kind of feels forced at this point.

That’s Conan for the last 15 years, so wysiwyg.