Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

Satanism and video games.

In games, power can mean more than political influence. Church of Satan reverend John H. Shaw told me that the more money and flashier threads he earns in Grand Theft Auto V, the closer he feels to his religion. “You get better cars, more money, you’re more successful, you buy houses,” Shaw told me over the phone. “That’s Satanic.”

Next time on Geraldo …

Is this the video where’s he’s repeatedly, totally wrong about the loot boxes in Shadow of War?

Jim Sterling says goodbye to normal game reviews.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/changing-criticism-or-fuck-game-reviews/

There are a number of factors for this. The main one is that, honestly, the amount of time a game review takes is time better spent on new original work like the freshly launched Commentocracy and upcoming Loose Boys. My passion is in creating original video work, that’s become evident as we’ve begun to put our efforts there.

This doesn’t mean I’m chucking in games criticism, I’m just doing it differently. Here’s the deal.

Jimpressions, formerly part of my ad-supported content, will become officially part of the Jimquisition brand, which it should’ve been anyway with a name like that. Jimpressions will be me talking over footage of games that I’ve captured, focusing on aspects of the game I specifically want to talk about without the same old tired structure of a review format.

I’m expecting some disappointment, hopefully not too much anger, but ultimately I think this is a good move. It’s a good move for my mental health, giving me less stress and more time to focus on the parts of the business I think people are really paying for. It’s good for you, as it gives you more ad-free content and what I believe is a more useful format for games criticism.

I don’t remember if we talked about this, but there seems to be have been a recent push among YouTubers about the difference between games criticism and a review, as if it were some amazing new discovery. This will probably only increase gamers’ expectations to see reviews as a buyer’s guide.

Why are “review formats” a tired structure but a meandering monologue on the few things he thinks are interesting is new and novel?

Sterling does something besides swear creatively in an amusing accent at companies and people being assholes? Huh.

I think the whole thing isn’t very new and novel. YouTube culture is quickly reaching peak levels of interest I think.

Peak levels of something, anyway.

I think a @tomchick and Jim Sterling collaboration would be fucking fascinating!

This came up in the Humble Bundle thread, but I figured it could go here too since there are implications for IGN’s objectivity as a news source.

I guess the author really hates this one random player he was stuck with.

Some people choose the sniper class and don’t contribute to the team? Shocking! How long has this been going on while the media stayed silent? We better get a team of investigative reporters out to get to the bottom of this.

Next week: “DOTA2 exposed: Mid or Feed”, and then “Overwatch: I only play Pharah (badly) and will never switch”

I bet you haven’t played Grimoire.

I also never went out of my way to make a big deal about not playing Grimoire.

My continued avoidance of series like Assassin’s Creed or The Elder Scrolls isn’t a boycott, either. They just don’t interest me.

Horrible, yet impressive: http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

“Junior player” and “marquee player”. Huh. Is that the language being used these days?

-Tom, junior player

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.1024592-An-Open-Letter-to-The-Escapist-Community

As many of you may have noticed by now, there hasn’t been much staff interaction over the last few months. It is with regret that, to our knowledge, that all paid staff have been relieved of their duties, with the apparent exception of Yahtzee, The Escapist’s streaming staff, and Encaen for a few contracted hours a month. We won’t beat around the bush, it is a serious situation. We can’t promise that The Escapist will last forever; it may have years left in it, or it may disappear tomorrow. What we can say is we will do our utmost to keep this site running in an orderly fashion, for as long as it stays online. That said, nearly everything that it does is through volunteer efforts.

With this sad news, though, comes an opportunity. The moderation team has been granted a number of powers to keep the site running. The new community-run Escapist will be looking for your input on how the site operates, and for volunteers in creating content. We may even look into adjusting the Code of Conduct, if that is possible with the tools we’ve been given. Together we can breathe some life back into this site, one article at a time.

So long.