Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

I think Nintendo would be best because of their back catalog that Nintendo would plumb for some great things IMO. Resident Evil as a Nintendo game might even be enough to lure Mikami back for another shot. They could also let Platinum get back at things like Viewtiful Joe. The return of Final Fight… Mega Man… hoo boy…

I just don’t see anyone else doing that.

I don’t even see Nintendo doing a lot of that, as there really isn’t much money in a lot of Capcom’s current IPs, let alone the old ones. Resident Evil is one of their biggest IPs, and the most recent entry lost literally half the franchise’s install base. Street Fighter V only retains players because of the tournament money, and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite has been a colossal failure. Monster Hunter has only ever been popular in Japan, and isn’t suddenly going to become a worldwide success just because they put one game on a console instead of a handheld - and even if it’s somewhat successful anywhere else, investors are going to riot when Monster Hunter: World hits shelves in Japan and the game does worse there than the late Switch port of Monster Hunter XX. Dead Rising ended up chained back to Microsoft, and the sales numbers have reflected the unpopularity of that decision pretty well. With older stuff, there’s a lot of overblown nostalgia for Mega Man that would never translate into actual sales of a new game, there hasn’t been any real interest in a new Final Fight since the SNES, and…well, it’s not like Capcom has anything else in the way of “classic” IPs that would have even the slightest chance of being home-run successes if they were revived. (This applies to most publishers, actually.)

In many ways, Capcom has poisoned their IPs to fans, particularly in the west, which is why I don’t think any other company would do much with Capcom’s IP stable either - or, at least, not anything anyone here would be happy with. If they really are looking at being bought out, it’s easy to see a scenario where Koei Tecmo, Sega Sammy, Namco Bandai, or Square Enix picks them up just to have access to the handful of popular Capcom IPs for mobile games, plus Monster Hunter for easy money in Japan.

Devil May Cry is so dead it doesn’t even get mentioned…

The last Devil May Cry game that wasn’t a rerelease came out in 2013, and series fans hated it because it “directly attacked” them, so yeah, it’s not even worth mentioning.

(Would be super-sweet to see DmC Definitive Edition on Switch, though!)

If the main guy didn’t look like the head of the company making it, I probably would’ve been interested in DmC. They lost me right there. That was clearly his intent, to be immortalized as young Dante.

What a petty reason to dismiss a really good game.

As opposed to all the other people dismissing games because they don’t like the artstyle?

Yeah if you can’t stand the art style, why endure it? There are games I don’t play due to the art or the music or some other creative choice they made, kind of like movies.

Yep. Bad art is a deal-breaker for me.

I wasn’t the only one, man. It was a pretty big deal when it was discovered and it also partially led to the mocking and ridicule the game got before release that helped kill the series. No one was happy that the series was handed to the developers of Heavenly Sword at the time and that was compounded by this brazen insertion of his own likeness as Dante.

For me, that disrespect for the source material was enough to turn me off from it.

It’s a shame, you missed out. It’s a pretty good game. Also a good game: Max Payne, which modeled its lead character on Remedy founder Sam Lake.

I don’t consider changing Dante’s look to something other than the original shirtless douche in a leather jacket with a platinum blond Bieber cut rises to the level of “disrespecting the source material”.

That’s probably what the guy who made him look like himself thought too.

“Man, that Dante is such a douche. He’s not nearly as cool as me! WAITAMINUTE! That’s it! I’ll just make him look like me!”

“Dolores, get the motion capture guys on the line! I’m coming in!”

Later he’s wondering why the fans are so upset…

More likely: the existing models were from a previous generation of consoles and weren’t going to work for a newer engine made by different developers, so the artists at Ninja Theory had to make a new model. The face wasn’t coming together because it wasn’t based on someone specific. Rather than license likeness rights to a professional model, they copied someone they could get for free, there in the studio, who looked enough like their vision.

Whatever the reason, it was a terrible decision.

Old models never stopped Capcom before - they’ve been using half the same models for Monster Hunter since the PS2!

(Which is to say: Ninja Theory put more effort into that design than they get credit for. It legitimately works well in their setting, too.)

DMC Dante is a charming douche, DmC Dante is a repulsive one.

Yeah, that assumes the source material merited respect. It was always a mishmash of Japanese-style hokum to me.

The original Devil May Cry is a trend-setting game. Stylish Action was born there. I think it still holds up.

Also, Dante was based on John Taylor, bassist for Duran Duran. A stylish dude who is a far better archetype for a video game action star than Tameem Antoniades.

I’m starting to think Dave though he was in the running to have the new Dante modeled after him, and this is just sour grapes.