Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

If he’s of Iranian “stock,” then doesn’t he have the moral authority to address oppression of Muslim women?

It’s hard to know the rules these days. They seem to change depending on circumstance. : P

Jesus, that’s stupid.

Distract yourself from modern right-wing stupidity with the right-wing stupidity of yore: Jerry Pournelle talking about Stellar Conquest, Reach for the Stars, Empire, and of all things Anacreon for BYTE magazine (cross-posting from the MOO Thread In Which A Bunch Of QT3ers Enlighten Us All About How Wrong They Are).

(Actually he doesn’t talk about politics, which is surprising given the extensive and eclectic expanse of he meanderings. Still, it’s a fascinating window back into the world of 1980s high technology.

It started out that way, but there’s people who have posted from both points of view now, so it’s more balanced now.

Drew Scanlon has unveiled his new gig.

Colin Moriarty has left Kinda Funny, stemming from a Tweet last week.

Reddit post that breaks down what happened.

OK, this probably sounds like a dumb question but I am actually serious: what’s the upside to Twitter? As someone who doesn’t use it, it just looks like a landmine folks keep stepping on while bystanders try to work out who can be the most outraged. Is there stuff you can’t really get anywhere else that’s on Twitter? The whole 140 character thing just seems like such an arbitrary, shackling limit.

I use it to funnel hyper-condensed news and updates from sources I’m interested in–often people involved in my hobbies–straight to me, like a more hyperactive RSS feed.

I also keep my personal Twitter locked and only let IRL friends follow me, where I share shitty jokes with them on occasion. It’s nice for keeping up with people for that.

Oh, and if you’re into that kinda thing, twitter DMs are a pretty good starting point for gettin with certain folks.

So you can limit who can access your tweets? They don’t just default to blaring out to the world? That’s good to know, seems like it would solve a lot of problems if users managed their contacts.

Yes, though of course, if you do that, you can’t play the social media “game” by garnering thousands of retweets and faves and whatnot from Internet Strangers when your Content goes Viral, mannnnn.

Some people live for that shit. Seems pretty pointless to me.

Says the guy shitposting on P&R every day for, uh. . . laughs. Yeah. My posts are meant to garner laughs there.

Twitters great for lifestyle tweets where everyone already likes you and you’re talking to your crowd. Twitter is horrible for politically charged forum posts where the entire internet will surround and destroy you for saying the wrong thing.

The smart people use twitter basically as an announcement/hype/commiseration/validation/support medium. The less smart people use it to tweet what’s on their mind at the time.

I’d love to know the full number of people who have lost a job through this handy, easy-to-use error distribution and multiplication service. We only get to learn about the famous ones.

I almost lost a job because of a forum post once. Can’t really blame Twitter for that one, heh.

Yeah, unsubbed to JonTron a while back. He uh… is a bad person. Very un-woke.

Wouldn’t that make him asleep?

Sure, but I don’t know if that jibes with the parlance of our times.

Nah man, it’s cool. I’m hip to the lingo of cats these days. You dig?

Oh, stewardess! I speak jive.

I finally signed up for a twitter account because it’s the only way to share screenshots on the PS4. (Well, other than Facebook, but I don’t want people on Facebook finding out I play games).

On the Xbox, you say “Xbox Record That”, or you press the buttons required, and it saves a little movie or screenshot, and it gets shared on your feed so that other players can see it, right? Well, on the PS4, saving a screenshot to your hard drive means nothing. And there’s no way to just share it on your feed from your hard drive. You have to either share it to Facebook or Twitter, and then it shows up on your feed for people on your PS4 friends list.

So I signed up for a twitter account and have told no one about it. But it’s still useful because it allows my PS4 friends list (basically Qt3) to see my PS4 screenshots.

Shiiiiiiiiit.

Time to come out of the closet man.