Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

For once I am agreeing with all you guys.

Sadly, this particular group has been taught and had it reinforced that if they use the term historical accuracy for any sort push back against women, or any other group, then they will be listened to and usually get what they want, or if that doesn’t work let the developer do what they want to do… unless the developer is responding to them in ways they don’t like I guess, like this one.

The sad thing is that a case like this, where the narrative is clearly wrong (I mean, you can check the alleged frequency of females popping up in tw2 yourself, and someone already did so) makes all parties pushing that narrative look rather silly.

And it also means when a more legitimate grievance occurs then no-one will be listening to them.

Although I’m inclined to not listen to them much anyway, taking this current hoohaa and the battlefield 5 controversy together.

So they’ve shot themselves in the foot.

Yeah I saw the data. Like some cultures don’t have them at all, one is around 50% and the others are very low percentages. In theory RNG could cause some to appear to show more frequently, right up there with the 99% shots failing in X-Com, but in reality it seems like… they might have gone out of their way to see if they could get a screenshot to show.

I still prefer my approach, send them to take their complains to Boudicca.

Yeah it’s blatant dishonesty.

Highlighting a very unlikely occurrence, maybe even doctoring it, presenting that as the norm, then using that as evidence to fit a pre conceived notion.

What really saddens me is that this seems to be the standard operating procedure of pretty much everyone who wants to argue in the “culture war.”

I don’t think so. This is often presented as two sides of the same coin, but it’s really not. I would not say it is at all accurate to try to blanket a group of men who are angry about a few women as general in their games as somehow representative of cultural wars. In the end, they still have many games, most games, that represent them.

The cause of feminism is better represented without strawmans.

People is not angry at womens in videogames (is not a new development), people react to the politization of videogames, the use if videogames to push one political agenda.

Theres much more to say about it, but I am a time traveler and theres not time to explain.

If you take a videogame where the central core is realist battles. Then you made half the combatants women, purist that where previusly neutral to the issue will rant about it. Is not that they are against women, they are neutral about womens, is that they are pro-realism.
If you push all the media machines to label this people as alt-right or holocaust deniers or drinkers of baby blood, then your have made a whole group of people your enemy for no fucking reason. Congrats.

Can we be more smart about this?

Not create unnecesary culture wars against random groups of people?

I am not a smart person, so I do not know. But I am smart enough to see the stupidity on the current culture war.

It’s dumb because there have already been all-female units for years in Rome 2 and if anything female generals make more sense than female armies.

Of course nobody complained in Warhammer 2 (the medieval fantasy games released after Rome 2 by Creative Assembly) when nearly naked armies of women with metal bikinis and 80s hair run around and chop heavily armored guys up.

The “pro-realism” is a sham because they choose total war games in the first place. They’re not picking hardcore sims, they’re picking Rome 2.

Magic.

Are you aware of this specific issue, like at all? Their outrage is made-up, but again, it’s not the same thing. Some women gamers would just like to play games that represent them. They’re not trying to push men out so… can we be smart about that?

When I say “lets more smart” I am saying: lets fight for feminism and lets do it in a way that is a success. Lets avoid getting into lose-lose fights. Making enemies. Burning bridges.

There are bad actors. People that is in each side because they love fighting. Not because they want to make the world a better place. Social Justice Warrior is a word that exist because some people just want the feeling of superiority and lord over other people, telling them what they can do, what they can’t do, what they can think ,what they can’t think, and banning their power fantasies. And a lot of dictating moral for others (that they themselves will not follow).

Bad actors are not here to help, and they cause a lot of damage and we should avoid them.

Some of these bad actors are journalist, and are here to report about a WAR, even if they have to start it themselves.

I personally may like bikini armour if have good design. But I will never say no to full plate armor.

So, do you realize these people are disingenuous idiots who have an extremely selective notion of realism which is a smokescreen for desiring their particular brand of politics be in games? The kind of person who thinks battlefield 5 is getting away from a great historical backdrop of a game series whose first ww2 offering was anything but historical? The person who thinks Total War was totally a realistic game before it generated women for factions?

How can one see anything other than the fact that these people are anti-women?

None of these people want the world to be a better place- they want comfort food and validation at all costs, and to propogate their own views and call any push back of any kind ‘censorship’.

No, this is not the reason the term Social Justice Warrior exists.

Battlefield has never been a realist game. Is kind of realist, but the premise is very very thin. We fight to defend Flags. I don’t remember a battle in WW2 that was between two sides tryiing to conquer a flag.

But what you are doing just now is demonizing the other side. Absolutelly no difference to World War II posters painting the japanese has “evil”. And for that, your post is not good.

Countries need this, because people don’t naturally murder other people. To have your people aim their weapons at other people and fire, you have to convince them that the other side is evil and not human. So countries need to do a bit of propaganda before a war to demonize the enemy.

Maybe lets not do that? lets understand where other people is comming from and what are they issues and find a way to help.

I heard the term Social Justice Warrior come from Forum Warrior. People that love to discuss in forums for the sake of discussing. The label “Forum Warrior” was a insult. But many labels started has insults, like “baroque” was a insult, but was adopted by the baroque people.

What I did was pose an argument. Quite often people who make the argument that there’s a ‘political agenda’ in this also think that no one (except them) has genuine beliefs, hence their use of the term ‘virtue signaling’

Their issue is that games remotely challenge their preconception, and the only way to help them is to tell them not to buy the game if they don’t like it… which is also offensive to them.

Some people just can’t be helped.