Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

That was good necro @Pod :)

That’s an interesting idea, which I haven’t seen on a videogame… But totally reminds me of Vernon Vinge’s novel “A Deepness in the Sky” theme of the inevitable collapse and resurgence of human civilisations. They fall hard and deep, but when extinction is avoided, they jump higher each time
What you describe kind of sounds like a Civ game where you go through apocalypse, manage post apocalyptic barbarism to bring about eventual reconstruction… the game being preparing for the inevitable to bootstrap the Renaissance?

Thanks for the game recommendation too.

this reminds me of the simple ending to too many nukes fired in Command HQ:

Exit To DOS
print some latin phrase about the world (I don’t remember it)

I am certain to be the only one here that A) noticed this and B) is annoyed by it, but the last few days alone has seen half a dozen articles on IGN with crazy colored images for the story thumbnail. It’s starting to drive me fucking crazy. WHY!? Who is doing this, and is there any way to stop them?!

Always two or usually three people in the thumbnail, doesn’t matter if it’s about Westworld, 10-Rated IGN Games, or Marvel - it’s the same layout. Did they hire a new art guy and this is all he knows how to make?

Someone learned a new Photoshop technique?

LOL yeah, that’s exactly what it feels like!

Hey boss! I get how layers work now!

I think the fact that we’re in here talking about it means it’s working.

Ok this little tidbit from Waypoint while they were building Labo was super endearing:

Exactly. That is what thumbnails are for now.

Not necessarily. For one thing, I feel like I’m the only one that noticed this and is annoyed by it, it’s not like anyone over on IGN has brought it up (that I know, but I guess I don’t haunt those forums). Also, not a single one of the associated articles got a click out of me. I don’t want to know anything about Infinity War, I don’t watch Westworld, and I don’t care why they gave their 10 rated games a 10 per se. :)

fuck outta here

I’m going to have to agree with Adam. It’s binge worthy.

Oh, I will get to it, but I’m paying for Hulu and Netflix and was going to get back to HBO Go in the summer when I’ve crossed a few shows off my list and have fewer stuff that Hulu is hand for airing during the week. I watched the pilot and loved it when I had HBO last time. It’s a golden age of TV, what can I say? Plus, by the time I get to it, the second season should finish (it just started, right?) so that might work great, have almost two full season to binge in the summer when I sit out back on the porch with my iPad at night and smoke a fine cigar while I watch Westwood?

Not a bad plan. By the time GoT final season is out, you’ll have two seasons of Westworld in the bank to get you through the off-days each week.

Like an idiot I’ve kept my HBO Now going during the lulls. We only occasionally watch shows/movies on it when there is no Westworld or GoT.

Sling usually has a free HBO weekend once a quarter (they had one this weekend to promote West World). So if you don’t have to watch as soon as possible it is easy to binge a series over the weekend. I am sure I will see WW this summer like that. Just pack it all in about 4 days.

Quantic Dream is suing sites that reported on the allegedly terrible work conditions there.

I have HBO GO, but the o ly thing I watch on it is Sesame Street. I just don’t seem to have the time or patience to keep up with anything right now.

Huh, I wonder if they can force the paper to reveal their sources? Not sure what the laws are like in France. I know British slander laws are quite different from ours in the U.S.

It’s more about basically, once you feel a civilization you control has run its course, you switch to a brand new empire to build up again, and you do this over and over. The old one’s still there, it’s just fallen. They still score points for you, but you’re always doing the buildup part, which probably the most interesting part of the games anyway.

That’s an odd comment from the dev. Associating with activist does not make you or your company part of activism. I hope those who covered the story didn’t make anything up though;they seemed especially bad.