Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

This would be a great discussion for P & R, but sadly, this isn’t P & R.

By the way, I am being both Cute and Honest. It’s what my wife loves about me.

RickH, I replaced identity politics in your sentence with “today’s GOP”, do you not agree that this describes Mitch McConnell’s GOP in the last decade?

Of course not (in general), they didn’t even listen when they were confronted from inside. What I’m saying is the objective isn’t making them, in particular, change, and focusing on that just helps them carry the flag - especially because they’ll piss you off so much you that, as we say in Portuguese, you’ll lose your reason (in the sense that your argument is weaker).

Some people do use PC to be rude assholes, though, and are just parroting whatever their culture group says without understanding it - stereotypes always carry a small kernel of truth in them, otherwise no one would take them seriously. As in legowarrior’s example (or Granath’s reply), it was just normalized into yet another bullet point that separates political clubs. Otherwise, we’d start talking about equality and respect, and that way lies madness.

I don’t think they’re really opposed as such, they both have their place. Because, it’s funny, a few decades ago that would be an argument against the USSR. It’s just people fighting windmills everywhere and antagonizing everyone else, while the elite keeps on going the same as ever.

I think it describes both McConnell’s run as Senate Majority Leader and Harry Reid’s. The rules have changed, and bipartisanship is a sucker’s game.

Whether that’s awesome or not can be debated, but if you think Reid was terrific and McConnell is deplorable, I’d question your premises as unduly influenced by – wait for it – identity politics. “It’s different when we do it” is not an honest position.

I can agree with that. I just thought Legowarrior’s quip wasn’t as dishonest as you were making it out to be. And you seem to agree. It’s off topic anyway, I’ll move on. But I agree that neither side should view politics that way.

I tend to bristle when people claim “racism” without an actual reason. BUT – I do think that identity politics is intertwined with race as an identity on both sides of the spectrum.

And you realize that one side, as you labeled it, is not on equal footing and did not create a history of horror, death and rape of the other. This is not two sides of the same coin.

I didn’t say that. What I do believe is you chose Riot Games and see no problem with that which is… unfortunate. In addition, the fact you had to use Riot Games are your example is also very… telling.

Actually, I reject the concept of collective guilt and collective punishment. The past is what it is, and holding on to “wrongs” that didn’t happen to anyone living is a formula for eternal war.

Didn’t happen to anyone living. Are you out of your mind?

Since you stealth-edited, there’s no basis for a response.

I didn’t stealth edit anything. All I did was take two posts and combine them.

Which is outside the definition of editing?

Anyway, I’m not in the habit of scrolling up for new information. As far as a

yes, you are asserting a right to be compensated for what did not happen to you, but rather happened to people who were of a kind to you, or may have been your ancestors, but were not you. And the payment should be made by people who did not actually perform the “horror, death, and rape” in question.

In other words, collective guilt and collective punishment. Ex: It’s ok to tear a family’s house down because one of their sons was a terrorist.

The content didn’t change, and it was not edited after you replied.

I’m not asking for compensation. Do you want me to introduce you to a woman who wasn’t allowed, against the law, to have a library card. She’s still alive Rick.

Agreed that shitty things have happened to people, some of them to me, based on race. But I can’t help but notice that your example is not quite “horror, death, and rape.” As societal injustices have become smaller and more rare, should the response be “good, things are improving” or “you are all still the equivalent of rapists”?

Those are just examples oppression, and you know it. There is history for one side and the other. That history doesn’t get erased simple because one wants it to be. When the oppressed ask for an opportunity to engage, it is not the same thing as the aggressors asking for it. They’re overcoming an aggressive obstacle. The other side put it there.

Exactly, collective guilt and collective punishment. You embrace it, I reject it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night since you are making shit up I didn’t say and trying to attribute it to me.

I am trying to understand your position. I thought your position was that you believe that the descendants of one race owe compensation to another race due to past wrongs done by one to the other. There is a difference between “stop doing wrong” and “time to get even.”

No you’re not. Trying to say I stealth edited something and then literally tried to claim I said something I didn’t. None of that equates to trying to understand anything.

Then your position is “don’t ask me to explain my position.” : )

Fair enough, but if we are making laws and enforcing rules, things such as goals and methods need to be clear and unambiguous.