Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

I had a bunch more typed, but in the interest of getting back on topic I’ll just say:

I agree with you. To some extent that’s human nature and to some extent it’s bad actors exploiting the situation. We obviously need to work to overcome that tendency.

ethics in gaming journalism

The publicly funded college – committed to social justice – became the poster child of a campus overrun by hyper-political correctness when students shut down the campus and shouted down then-evolutionary biology professor Bret Weinstein for merely questioning the event kicking white people off campus.

Weinstein, who describes himself as “deeply progressive,” ultimately lost his job and was labeled a “racist” and “white supremacist.”

After the email, a group of students confronted Dr. Christakis. One student was shown in a video posted on YouTube confronting Dr. Christakis as he clasped his hands. “It is not about creating an intellectual space! It is not!” the student was heard yelling. “Do you understand that? It is about creating a home here!”

After you’ve run off everyone who doesn’t agree with you, you have to start running off people who don’t agree with you enough.

It’s possible that students at Evergreen State College, which doesn’t have majors and which forsakes grades in favor of one-page “narrative evaluations,” might not represent the social justice mainstream.

This retrospective on Gigantic’s development struggles and failure to find an adequate audience was published last month, and like the subject, feels like it was overlooked.

Eurogamer had a great article about a decent tie-in game, Aliens Resurrection, that shipped years after the movie had left theaters, axing multiple platforms along the way, which I think is mostly remembered today for that hilarious Gamespot review.

Ok, seriously?

Evergreen State College?

A tiny college has small enrollment numbers? From Fox News?

I see breitbart and plenty of other conservative sites running this news story, but no other local news running it. The college itself says:

https://twitter.com/EvergreenStCol/status/1040021398264016897
There are tons of very small colleges in the U.S., and enrollment is not an issue exclusive to Evergreen State.

Let’s check Wikipedia

2017 protests

Every April since the 1970s, Evergreen has held a daylong event called Day of Absence , inspired by the Douglas Turner Ward play of the same name, during which minority students and faculty members voluntarily stay off campus to raise awareness of the contributions of minorities and to discuss racial and campus issues.[5][6] As of 2017, approximately 25% of Evergreen students were racial minorities.[7] Since 1992, the Day of Absence has been followed by the Day of Presence , when the campus community reunites.[5]

Ah yes, definitely something recently changed at the school to cause this issue, this totally isn’t something they have been doing for decades.

In 2017, the Day of Absence was altered after students of color voiced concerns about feeling unwelcome on campus following the 2016 U.S. Presidential election. For that year’s event, white students, staff, and faculty were invited to stay off campus.[8] Events for students of color were held on the Evergreen campus.[9][5][6][10] Bret Weinstein, a professor of biology at Evergreen, wrote a letter in March to Evergreen faculty explaining his objections to the change in format: “On a college campus, one’s right to speak — or to be — must never be based on skin color.”[7] and “There is a huge difference between a group or coalition deciding to voluntarily absent themselves from a shared space to highlight their vital and under-appreciated roles […] and a group or coalition encouraging another group to go away.”[11] Weinstein’s emails were leaked and widely shared among conservative media outlets such as Breitbart and Heat Street , which led to harassment and threats towards school officials.[12] In late May 2017, student protests—focused in part on the comments by Weinstein—disrupted the campus and called for a number of changes to the college.[6][13] Weinstein says he was told that campus police could not protect him and that they encouraged him not to be on campus, which caused Weinstein to hold his biology class in a public park.[14][15] Weinstein and his wife, Professor Heather Heying, later resigned and reached a $500,000 settlement with the university after having sued it for failing to “protect its employees from repeated provocative and corrosive verbal and written hostility based on race, as well as threats of physical violence”.[16]

Definitely the liberal college’s fault, and not Brietbart inciting a mob of trolls to harass students or anything.

A June 1 threat to “execute” people at Evergreen led to an evacuation and two-day closure of the campus.[17] Vandals with sticks and baseball bats caused approximately $10,000 in damage to the campus and forced closure of the school for an additional day.[18] A June 15 protest on campus by the group Patriot Prayer led to campus being closed early.[19] The following day, Evergreen’s 2017 commencement ceremony was also moved off-campus because of safety concerns.[20]

An op-ed in The Seattle Times said that The Evergreen State College has become a “national caricature of intolerant campus liberalism”, blaming that for the college’s recently falling 300 students short of Washington State’s funded enrollment target despite having “wide-open admission standards”.[21] A report from the college suggested that the protests may adversely affect Evergreen’s enrollment, which has been declining over the last decade.[22] Consequently the college cut its budget by 10% and increased student fees.[22]

Ah yes, this has everything to do with the recent “LIBRUL PC PANIC” and nothing to do with a decade of declining enrollment numbers, and Breitbart and other neo-con alt right websites sicking some sort of online mob at this small school.

Weinstein, refused to participate in their recently flipped “Day of Absence” which used to be the school’s minority population leaving for a day to show how important their community is. In 2017, they flipped it so that the white students and faculty would be absent for a day, and they would focus on workshops for the minority students. Weinstein went “All Lives Matter” and the kids there didn’t like it.

If they asked for all of the minority students to stay home one day (for decades since the 70’s) and the ONE TIME they say, let’s have white people try this, the entire fucking school implodes and heat street and brietbart lose their shit and write harassing articles about it… I don’t think the liberal part is the problem here.

This is bullshit, pure and simple, to blame this on liberals, the students themselves agreed to this change This isn’t some liberal bogeyman forcing white kids to not show up to school, they chose not to.

Breitbart got a bunch of alt-right twats to call in a threat of violence, which caused the campus to shut down. This is the conservative media blaming a school’s enrollment decline (which was already trending down) on liberal panic, and not the literal panic that the alt-right trolls caused on campus.

Fuck Fox News

Wow, thanks for the research Jon.

My thanks as well!

Does Bret Weinstein still have a job there? Because that was the request, for examples of progressives being chased off by other progressives.

And yes, I picked Fox News just to screw with you. Because if Fox reports it, it’s illegitimate, right?

PS: are we ignoring Yale?

Hey guys, I’m really not one to thread cop - I mean I’ve derailed my share of topics too. But I bailed out on P&R for a reason and I’d really rather leave this topic to games. Could I ask you politely to take this discussion elsewhere?

Ha, fair enough. It’s hard for me to leave things un-reponded to.

r/murderedbywords

Game Journalist is still growing and learning new tricks. And politics is just another trick that have learned.

We are living history, being part of it. Good luck having Game Journalist in 2018 without politics, I feel is not possible.

Or maybe I am wrong. It would be happy if we don’t see politics in this thread again.

Edited:
I removed my opinion about game journalism in 1985, because after checking an actual PDF, I have seen that I was partially wrong, and even at the time, game reviews with scores where a thing. So I can’t claim anymore that magazines in 1985 where “technical manuals” as that seems disingenuous.

I am going to put the link here, I think is important to share it for historical and educative reasons, but if anyone feel some copyright has been broken, I will remove it.

https://archive.org/stream/CommodoreMagazineSpain/CommodoreMagazineIssue15#page/n7

I take it overall as a good sign.

I used to buy those magazines and always typed in those games on my Amstrad. Sometimes it took a week, sometimes it took over a month to type in the really big games.

Sometimes instead of having code to type in, they would have a program in machine code, where I had to type in only numbers. I gave up on that one. There was just no way I could type in that many numbers and not have any errors. So it was all just a waste of time. But when I typed in Basic code, I could find my errors.

But I take it as a sign of the medium growing up. If we were still in the technical era of games journalism, that would mean the games themselves were also still pretty basic bleeps and blops. None of us want that.

I agree with you that discussions of Evergreen don’t belong here. I’ve been doing my share of derailing this thread too, though, which has been causing me to think a bit about what the thread should be.

@MrTibbs posted several articles containing good journalism which look quite interesting… and no one has responded. That seems to be the usual response to articles that aren’t controversial. (It’s no surprise; there often isn’t much to say beyond “yep, good article”.) The controversial articles are the ones that generate all the posts, and most controversies these days seem to be political. The political discussions then wander away from being about games.

I guess my question is, what do people want the thread to be? It’s mostly acting as a bridge to P&R right now, from what I can tell. If that’s not what people want, what sort of articles are appropriate to keep the thread in line? I’m not looking to argue, just trying to spur a discussion.

I want it to be the “I hate this guy” thread for examples of stuffy, out of touch, corrupt, and purple-prose gaming journalism. A place I can find things to point and laugh at.

That’s pretty cool that they had that control scheme for Alien Resurrection a full year before Halo: CE came out. Though, I still view this control scheme as a natural next step to Goldeneye 64’s control scheme Type C, where the analog stick was aiming, and the C-buttons controlled movement. When the second analog stick came, it took the place of the C-buttons.

The original Turok on the N64 also had this scheme, wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t the first either.

I was about to say that, I remember Turok using that control scheme. Worked pretty well, but the main thing I remember about Turok was all the platforming to and from tiny little platforms.

Hahah. Yes, that is precisely the thing that immediately springs to mind when I hear the word “Turok”. Jumping from tiny platform to tiny platform through the fog.

Edit: I always forget that Turok came before Goldeneye 64, since I personally played Goldeneye first, so I encountered that control scheme first in Goldeneye.