Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Rebellion is a surprisingly strong studio

They did that Rogue Trooper game that was recently remastered too, I always loved that game.

Daaaaaaaaaaamn.

Shouldn’t that say “Amazon paid $90 million for blah blah blah”?

Two things: one, yiiiiiiiiikes, and two, imagine how horrifying a “top fifty mobile games” list would look in 2018.

That article is flat wrong though. I tried a few of those, searching the App Store for the ‘missing’ games.

Tiki Towers, Zen Bound, Bejeweled, and Wolfenstein are all still there. Granted Wolfenstein had its SKU split into a free and premium version.

But no game I searched was unable to be found.

This seems like the webpage links were broken, and they didn’t even bother to do a search is all.

A lot of them have follow-up apps, but the versions referred to in the Edge article are gone (Bejeweled 2 itself has been gone for a couple of years, for example, but Bejeweled Blitz and Bejeweled Stars, which are both fundamentally different games, remain available) or weren’t updated for iOS 11 (Tiki Towers hasn’t been updated since 2011, for example, and is incompatible with the new OS version, even though you can find it in a Web search).

Here. I’ll put these here.

Pretty easy: splash screen with “MORAL VICTORY” in big 'ol letters.

Honestly, those are the only ones people want anymore.

I’m laughing at how esports is mired in the same media vortex as mainstream sports when it comes to politically correct discussion topics: they don’t want something to be a distraction to their team, but then it becomes an even bigger one for the entire league.

You gave me a mental flash of a new politically-correct version of Mortal Kombat, where the ultimate finishers are “Moralities” where you stand there and do nothing, but you get that moral upper ground for eschewing violence.

Some actual GJ:

You just gotta get the perfect timing so you turn the other cheek as your opponent’s blow lands on you.

Three separate French reports were published today leveling serious allegations of unhealthy studio culture at Quantic Dream, which both David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière strongly deny. Eurogamer offer some details about the articles:

One particular area of contention is a cache of some 600 controversial photoshopped images dating back to 2013. Canard PC’s report has a header image with some of the photoshopped pictures in. Mediapart’s is the third report.

“The most shocking [images] present Quantic Dream’s collaborators in sexual positions, adorned with homophobic or sexist slurs, or even made up to look like Nazis,” said Le Monde’s report, translated by Eurogamer.

Others have apparently witnessed homophobic or racist jokes. One incident involved a burglary caught on CCTV. After watching, Cage allegedly asked an employee of Tunisian origin, “Is that a cousin of yours?”

Factor 5 talks about what happened with Lair, and what they do now.

“I remember sitting there with about 10 people watching Sony’s press conference and the $599 and laughing. Then the motion control thing. We were laughing about it at first and then it dawned on us, ‘Shit, [Sony is] going to make us use this,’” says designer Dubrofsky.

It is both extremely odd that this woman isn’t on a team (she is one of the best players) but also understandable as many of these teams were purchased as a team, and her Korean team wasn’t one of them.

That being said, the fact that many esports leagues lack female competitors is stupid.

Woooo!

Gates was hired to bring his LA to the screen, and Open Season is, indeed, Daryl Gates’ L.A: a fallen cathedral, where the good and moral and quiet wait in fear of multicultural street scum, creeping over some liminal threshold into white suburban reality. Naturally, per Gates, gang terror is enabled by social welfare programs: “This is an all-girl Hispanic gang,” Carey reads in the LAPD files. “To enter and stay in the gang a girl must rob at gun-point a retail business. Many of these girls are unwed mothers and receive public assistance.”

In this LA, a city of “dirtbags, creeps and losers,” graffiti is an “urban blight.” Mothers entreat the police to “make [the] streets safe for the children,” and the cops can’t bear “to see the little children and the innocent families hurt by all the street violence.” A cop is killed walking a woman to her car. A little girl hugs Carey when he solves the gruesome murder of her father. Gay men and sex workers are lascivious. Black characters say things like “Yo, I be fly today!” and “This be my ‘hood. I be Raymond Jones da third.” (Asked to comment by Vibe on that, Gates ducked the blame: “I told [Sierra] that these people use the same language that you and I use.”)

Not the first article on Gates I’ve read this past year. For some reason. The Sierra+Gates thing was something that always baffled me, growing up in California during that period. Maybe more of a topic for the “games you won’t play for personal reasons” thread, but the only police games I’m comfortable with are the Sam & Max ones. Police Quest: Open Season? Haha, no way.

Bartlet Jones, David Jaffe’s studio, lost funding for a project and had to layoff most of the developers. The studio’s future is uncertain, but if they make it through, expect something different from Jaffe’s recent efforts.

“The last 10 years, I’ve been permanently focused on mechanics-based multiplayer games. That hasn’t worked out too well. You can definitely see that what we’ll do in the future will be an attempt to learn from that and create things that take the lessons of those less than successful endeavors in mind.”

I still don’t quite know what this thread is for, but I think its for gaming journalism - and then this is a pretty great read.