Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Thanks for sharing that.

I love this take:

Heh. I love the idea of war weary soldiers who are somewhat aware that they are video game characters in a WW2 game, and they’re tired of it.

Having played the campaign for CoD: WWII that strikes me as an awful lot of projection on a banal story full of cliche characters that tries to wedge in a weird allegory about leadership.

Whatever (little) credibility Twin Galaxies had left before this dispute was shredded even further – it took them nearly 6 months to render a decision that was open and shut (and not the only blatantly impossible score of Todd’s disputed recently) and even then the tipping point wasn’t the mountain of evidence but instead the testimony of an old referee.

I’m glad they came to the right decision at least, even if it was for the wrong reasons.

A nice article about Arkane’s The Crossing, an ambitious game that hoped to mix singleplayer and multiplayer, replacing AI NPC with real-world players. Given Arkane Austin’s recent online job postings, and the subpar commercial performance of Prey, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this concept revisited in some form.

I remember a preview of this game at a major game publication (I forget which) which started off with the writer describing going through the city and trying to get past these two guards. And then guard started jumping and killed him, and then came over and started corpse fucking him. And that was his introduction to the concept of The Crossing.

I was really high on Arkane at the time because of Arx and Dark Messiah of M&M, so I was willing to try whatever they came up with next, but this sounded like enough to put off even me.

Yikes.

What a weird detail…

Some Forbes-empowered cry-blogger helps to maintain Forbes’ flawless record of posting gaming’s shittiest opinions by the internet’s most worthless contributors.

Despite how complicated and overwhelming Monster Hunter: World can be, I’ve been getting more and more consumed by its expansive aims and deep leveling systems. That said, there’s something that’s been bothering me quite a bit, and strangely, it has less to do with convoluted menus and more to do with the game’s basic premise: Griefing, pestering and outright destroying innocent animals, many of whom are just minding their own damn business.

#pleasethinkofthepixels

I don’t think the article is unreasonable at all. I can’t speak for the author but I know that my own view on this changed when I got my first dog 4 years ago. Ever since then I go out of my way to avoid killing animals in games. I realize it’s ‘just a game’ but I can’t help it.

Sounds like the just stole the bio from his site and put it in the third person past tense.

My wife finds hunting games repulsive, so he’s definitely got an audience there.

Reminds me of this I saw the other day.

There are people who find hunting repulsive, period. This is nothing new, but I’d much rather people do it in a virtual world than the real one if I’m on that train (and I’m not, though I also don’t hunt).

If don’t just hate hunting in principal, I feel like the Monster Hunter implementation is about as good as can be expected:

• Its clearly being done sustainably, because there’s never a shortage of the species you’re hunting.
  • It isn’t purely trophy based, Hunters use every part of the Monsters, either as food, or as equipment

(there’s monkey cups that boast an uncanny Nepenthes ampullaria resemblance—that’s my nerdy botanist side sneaking out)

Is it mandatory now that when writing about games you have to throw in an aside about how adorkable you are?

Gotta work on your personal brand!

#PersonalBrand, I think you mean.

Oh my…

That aside, I’m not a hunter, and am unlikely to play sort of hunting game, but I do hunt in survival games and anything else that says meat over there, kill.

Monster Hunter is about as fantasy as you can get. There are monsters the size of mountains, dripping lava. The sword are 2 or 3x as high as your body is, talks cats and more. They’re not even trying to sell realism here. Having said that, I avoid some games due to subject matter, no matter how quality they are, so I’ll afford journalists the same courtesy, and if you read the rest of the article, he even mentions part of the reason he thinks killing these monsters might be morally challenging instead of say Goomba’s is because they behave in a way that makes them seem like living creatures… oh yeah and he intends to keep playing.

Give him a break.

To be clear, I didn’t read the article but once I saw what the discussion was about I thought of Monday’s Penny-Arcade strip, so I shared it because I thought it was humorous. If anything, I’m probably leaning towards the side of the author of the piece, and don’t suspect in anyway he is deserving of disdain.