Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Dictionary? I learned that word by playing EverQuest.

id7087

Learning isn’t knowledge my dude. The implication was there in my post.

Anyway, I’m bowing out.

Ok, see you later. Thanks for the education. I have a lot to learn, and I appreciate your willingness to enlighten.

Do you not understand the difference between a meme and a slur? Punching Nazis is a meme. Calling a homosexual dude a fag is a slur. Anyone who’s been on the internet longer than five minutes shouldn’t need to have that explained. You’re being deliberately obtuse for some reason I can’t figure out.

-Tom

In the interests of usable memes

That’s… rather remarkably disingenuous. I expect that if you went to whatever toxic gamer site regularly calls people they don’t like fags, they’d respond with “LOL, it’s just a meme!”

“It’s a meme!” doesn’t make slurs ok for them to do, and it doesn’t make threatening political violence ok to do, considering the definition of “Nazi” at least several of the people on here seem to be using would cover the, what, 40% of the US who approve of Trump? Brad Grenz seems to be using a definition that includes “anyone who asks what my definition of Nazi is”. Meme or not, it’s incredibly toxic. (And I’ll throw in the disclaimer, I’m not a white supremacist, fascist, authoritarian, approver of Trump, or even a conservative.)

It’s obviously your site, your rules, and your culture to develop. Personally, however, I don’t think threats of violence against anyone, meme or not, are acceptable so this will be my last post here.

On the long list of things to worry about in our society, punching Nazis seems pretty low on the list of things to get worked up about.

There are so many other things I would pour my energy into before I worried about Nazis getting punched. Shootings in schools is just one such example.

The sad part is you think this is good internet arguing. “If you disagree with me, I’ll call you a Nazi-lover and that means I WIN.”

I’d agree, if it wasn’t easily seen as people giving themselves permission to commit violence against someone based on a label that they decide. This is especially true when the label-givers aren’t trustworthy or honest in their dealings.

If you give me control of the definitions of words, I can thoroughly screw you over, legally or socially. Nor can we communicate effectively if we can’t agree on what words mean.

It’s always the people defending Richard Spencer that get upset and storm off.

I would like to remark that punching Nazis is ok. And I am not afraid to say that.

Look, you chose to be a Nazi, you live with the consequences.

Last post, then I’ll show myself the door.

That’s kind of mendacious. The conversation from my perspective has gone:
Brad: Punch Nazis in the face!
Me: What’s your definition of Nazi? Real no-fooling fascists or people whose politics you disagree with?
Brad: That’s something a Nazi would say!
Me: What? No! I’m not a Nazi, I just don’t believe in political violence, particularly in the middle of a discussion of internet toxicity.
You: Glad that Nazi left!

If you want to limit Nazi-punching to David Duke or Richard Spencer or whoever leads the KKK, I’ve got no disagreement with you. They’re all scum, I’m not defending them, and I never have. When your definition of Nazi expands to include anyone who questions who you’re including in “Nazi” based on the last year and a half of US politics, however, you are going pretty far outside the bounds of rational discourse into toxicity.

Or: what RickH said.

I didn’t say “glad that nazi left,” I made an observation that everyone who defends Richard Spencer, that I’ve seen, has immediately stopped arguing and left the second anyone disagrees.

Uh, is there ever going to be an article in here about video games that isn’t a prelude to endless circular arguing about nazis or some such?

I dunno something about the industry in general? Umm… so how 'bout that Drake stream playing Fortnite, huh?

It’s things like this article that remind me that I don’t know anything about this world.

I thought the first Drake and Ninja collaboration would be the new Die Antwoord album

Drake and Ninja dont like each other

But they play fortnite so well together!!

Who the hell are Drake and Ninja?

It’s amazing how such a relatively simple sentence, such as that headline, contains so many items that are apparently pop culturally large, yet I’ve never heard of them.

Not journalism perse, but not worthy of a whole new thread, but why isn’t anyone talking about Crest not the toothpaste?