Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

I have one comment about it before you decided I was persecuting you. The comment was more to do with your “goodbye internet” post, but noted that every argument I’ve seen like this, the “don’t punch a nazi” folks always give in almost immediately. If you want to put words in my mouth, fine, but don’t expect me to agree with you.

I had to double-check to be sure I wasn’t reading something from The Onion.

All I can think of when reading that box text is

As a side note: whether or not I called someone a nazi where you can see the text trail might be the stupidest argument I’ve ever had.

The only thing that can stop a bad girl with a katana is a good guy with a katana.

…or a ‘wing chun’ as the case may be.

Oh boy, look who has a National Katana Association card! ナチ!

Also, a samurai sword originates from Japan, and Japan was in the Axis! I just found the perfect segue to go back into the Nazi punching discussion*!

* Don’t. Please. Don’t.

Our teachers should have katana. Or off duty samurai at the schools

Tell you the truth, I’d be more scared of him, than a rando wielding a katana. Clearly we need a Bruce Lee in every school.

学の浪人 to the rescue!

Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody wing chun tonight

She was just doing her best to Keep Portland Weird. It’s amazing how we have no sunshine law here and 1/10 the population of Florida but we manage to be competitive in bizarre stories of untreated mental illness.

Or off-duty blind samurai.

The very best defense!

You know… I confess … my first thought was like “lol, dude, all you had to do was put out for your your girlfriend and she would have been fine.” Then I thought, hmm, what if these genders were reversed? Then I realized I was the asshat. He is the victim of attempted murder, I think he is handling it with a lot of courage. tbf.

Talking about global responsibility, there’s this interesting opinion piece on RPS

In Civilization VI, climate change has been written out entirely, even as we live through planet-wide ecological collapse in the real world. The novel inclusion of natural beauty (as ‘Appeal’) only gives modifiers to growth. Famine is a minor inconvenience in your grand plan, as it was to empire-builders in Ireland or India. While older Civilization games included climate change mechanics (Alpha Centauri even set psychic death worms on polluters) Civilization VI is reluctant to take a side on ‘controversial issues’.

Which was the last Civ with global warming?

Civ 6 is the only game I have managed to entice my partner to play, and we racked up like 100 hours playing hot seat. We stopped playing altogether when it became apparent that there was very little friction on the game other than war, of course.

For fuck’s sake, put a trigger warning on that article for the word Ethlete.

My partner just loved the article, she says

There’s an opportunity there for a rival game company - the full warts and all version of societal growth and collapse!

I like this bit - sums up how I feel about it - That means that sooner or later, in every Civ game, you’ll reach a point where the challenge is gone but there’s still a long grind before you reach the point at which you have enough capital cities, culture points, rocket launches or religious conversions to win the game.

She said it best

It is interesting. While I doubt anyone at Fireaxis is a climate changer denier or flat earther they do seem to have missed a pretty good game mechanic here. I mean, growth vs exhaustion of resources seems to be a pretty fundamental aspect of human history at this scale.

Artists should be able to choose which aspects of a subject they want to address of course (see our KC:D discussion) but to not use one that seems like such a fantastic balancing mechanic feels like a miss from a game design perspective.