Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Ironically, despite the lack of overt rationale for several of the holidays, we (well, the English and the Welsh) don’t even have a national day holiday. Much to the chagrin of UKIP types.

I thought St.George’s and St. David’s day were national holidays?

Never thought to check. I spent a great deal in time working in catering, where holidays = extra work.

For about 2 years solid I worked every bank holiday and easter etc.

I need a holiday from the journalism threads discussion on holidays.

and her husband invented the internet.

Gizmodo, parent for Kotaku and other sites, writes about the mess Univision (its owner) is in.

tl;dr - Kotaku and everything in Gizmodo may be in trouble soon.

No more Kotaku?

tears…

(not)

Love the headline. If it actually “mattered to tens of millions of people” then its future would be assured for the next 50 years. In reality even regular readers will quickly supplant it with other similarly mindless distractions.

But to say something positive: I really like Kotaku’s twice weekly highlight reel videos. Right now there’s too much of games I don’t care that much about, like Monster Hunter, but it’s a well done series.

I love the GMG blogs, as they consistently have great reporting, they run ads that don’t ruin the page, and they don’t stuff their sites with listicles and viral content. The blog view is clean, white background, long scroll. They also don’t stuff themselves with ads posing as articles.

They also have the cajones to call out their parent corporation for their BS

I think Kotaku has a really strong bench of writers right now. Patricia Hernandez, Jason Schreier, and Gita Jackson are all go-to reads for me.

I hope Nathan Grayson lands on his feet. I look forward to what he writes.

Kotaku has been excellent for years now. Whether it’s Schrier’s excellent scoops or deep investigations or otherwise. Games writing would be in a much worse place if they went under.

Kotaku is an odd duck. On one side you have Schrier, Hernandez, and others writing terrific industry articles and scoops. On the other side of the site, you’ve got weird-ass reports about Japanese panty machines and links to scantily clad cosplay folks mingled with garbage Gizmodo family shared pages. It’s a mix that I don’t always find successful, and sometimes it’s very difficult to look at it during work hours due to the content that sometimes hits NSFW levels. I know the purient stuff gets the hits and pays the bills, but sometimes I wish they’d break the gaming stuff out on its own.

I subscribe to Kotaku’s RSS and don’t recall seeing anything like that for literally years. Do you have specific examples in mind?

Not all of it gets crossposted to the main RSS feed/posted to the main site, but https://cosplay.kotaku.com/.

If this is the wrong kind of hard-hitting long-form games journalism I don’t want to be right. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/ZNYddKU.png

They have an NSFW tag for articles.

Of course, warning! It is NSFW.

Stern McDonald’s supervisor Jon once had when he worked there in High School voice

Shouldn’t you be working right now? :)

Would Kanye West advocate punching Nazis or not? I mean, if subjugation is self-imposed by lack of action, then you are only hurting yourself and your family every time you don’t punch a Nazi! And our President says he’s a cool guy!

I like Ashcraft’s Japan articles

you monster