Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Did you just swoon, Tom? :)

Do want. Where can I see this movie???

-Tom

All the time. I have several CD (remember them?) collections that are essentially shovelware movies. Like five classic B&W films and the rest at the level you describe. I recently watched The Crawling Eye. Look it up. I’m sure you can find the whole movie on YouTube. It’s so good.

I did swoon over the prospect of an undead mammoth movie. But as for the other post, me and @AntediluvianArk are going outside to form a club of people who give Stellaris one star. If you want to come with us, you can be treasurer.

I like this idea of “games that are so bad they’re good” as a thought exercise, but I feel that @telefrog is right to point out that games make for a different kind of experience that might preclude this “so bad it’s good” idea. There’s a certain degree of suffering involved in having to play a truly bad game that simply doesn’t exist when you’re watching a bad movie.

-Tom

Exactly. If a game is bad movie bad, I probably stopped playing it before I could get to the ‘so bad it’s good’ part.

All right, so maybe it would be more fair to say that we’ll accept bad characters or story but not bad gameplay. We’ve already said Kojima games are basically B movies, but are generally agreed to be pleasant to actually play. I enjoyed Binary Domain, for example, because the third person robot shooting was a blast, but the story was absolute batshit. But that probably helped, now that I think about it.

Ooh, I know. For me, Sir, You Are Being Hunted was a badly made game that I truly enjoyed playing. Until I uninstalled it. I knew I would never get very far. But when I hit a milestone, I was excited. And then the robots killed me. Eventually the enjoyment was overpowered by the annoyance.

Sure I’ll come along. But you shouldn’t trust me with money. Unless you want to. :)

I may be interested in this club. How do you guys feel about frilly toothpicks?

I think it was this one, back in the days when Hulu and Amazon picked up USA and SyFy originals and didn’t have the good movies or their original stuff yet.

This is B-movie material. If we’re going to give games a B-movie label it’s gotta be closer to stuff like this not just stuff that wasn’t up to the hype or the depth of previous games.

If you like that you might like the white dragon one, think moby dick but it’s a dragon and for some reason Danny Glover is in it.

They make great darts fired from drinking straws.

Zombie mammoth and Summer Glau? I’m in!

But which is which?

Get out!

If you’re just judging on storyline, there are a lot of console shooters that have storys that are laughably ridiculous, even if the gameplay is good (especially Gears of War 1-2, Killzone, most of the Halos other than the 1st one, Metal Gear games ).

It’s not even close to one. That’s inane.

I can’t believe anyone, even me, hasn’t said Troika games or Alpha Protocol. Or Gothic/Risen/…

I think Trespasser Jurassic Park is definitely in the “so bad it’s good” MST3K territory.

Yeah, this might be true

Never played Trespasser but I can’t pass up the opportunity to pimp this Let’s Play of the game:

https://lparchive.org/Jurassic-Park-Trespasser/

I think it may have been the first Let’s Play I ever watched, and still one of my favorites. Lots of great behind-the-scenes info about how it was done, why certain decisions were made, etc.

Every great once in a while, the internet provides me with so much entertainment that it’s impossible to thank the source enough. That has happened again, my friends. I give to you - The New Yorker on Fortnite.

It has EVERYTHING! It has Tom Wolfe quotes, Birchbox Men, The Beatles, and, to top it all off, Tide Pods!!