Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Can’t fool me. This is a cinnamon roll.

edit, I am pretty sure this DOESN’T count. I think i will make a diff thread.

I don’t know how high it ranks in the games journalism hierarchy, but Rock Paper Shotgun has a series where they talk about five relatively unknown games that come out each week during our era of the indiepocalypse:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/unknown-pleasures/

Obviously, there’s usually some kind of minimalist puzzle game, one dating sim or story game that tackle big issues and lots and lots of pixel art.

Initiative to reduce violence in games.

Boobs for Bullets Campaign.

The Boobs for Bullets initiative is Nutaku’s response to accusations that the gaming industry is responsible for the gun violence epidemic in America. To spread the love, Nutaku will fund game developers to remove guns and bullets from their gaming titles and replace them with boobs! That’s right, what could be less threatening? Through this loving endeavor, we hope to eliminate these excuses placing blame on our beloved industry, and make some friends along the way!

Good luck with any of those titles Nutaku.

those titles

TITles

When Aztez showed up buried in the Unknown Pleasures story for the week, I knew that the game and the indie games industry were truly beyond hope.

Maybe I’m not as hip as the cool kids, but… why? I have no idea what you mean. What’s so special about Aztez?

For a long time I thought Titleist golf balls were pronounced TIT- ly- est.

Oh it’s not that great, I just mean it would’ve been bigger news 3 or 4 years ago. Now it’s buried under a sea of indie games, nearly forgotten.

Ah, I see. I’ve checked the new games released queue, which I haven’t done in a while, and I’m amazed by the quality of the stuff that comes out. A lot of it looks well put together, it’s not just a bunch of crappy low-budget looking stuff.

Heck, you could do the 5 unknown games thing every day and you’d come up with decent picks.

Ahem, for example, today may 17th I’d pick these five:

House Flipper, for those who haven’t watched enough house shows:

Lust of Darkness, a survival horror game for horny people(?), which isn’t released but somehow showed up in the queue, so what the heck:

AntVentor, a point-and-click similar to Samorost about being an ant, I guess:

Shigo something, something… a River City Ransom game?:

Sacralith, a VR archer sniping game:

Damn it, I even have five more games that look interesting just for today! There’s Fox n Forests as well, a metroidvania side scroller where you can change seasons at will, Treasure Hunter where you look around for buried treasure by walking around the countryside, etc, etc. Now I regret putting Sacralith’s ugly face on here.

Nearly one game per hour in 2017. If only 20% are good, that’s your 5 per day.

Yeah… it has kind of a nice visual thing going on, but it seemed kinda meh to me.

Y’know, why don’t we do the 5 unknown games a week thing? Do our games own journalism, cut out the middleman! One user from the boards here does it every week and we put the short reviews in an article on the main page. Wouldn’t that be cool? Would anyone be interested?

What do you think @tomchick? Would it be possible to get review copies? I’m not sure I can just splurge 60-80 bucks in a week on random games. Or, eh, maybe abuse the refund feature?

Assuming below is accurate:

Looks like Best Buy’s Gamers Club Unlocked is dead as of today. Subscriptions remain active until their expiration but you cannot renew and no new subs.

Once mine runs out I have no need to shop at a Best Buy anymore. Another Brick and Mortar that can die off as far as I’m concerned.

There are a lot of Russian/Eastern European games that have good mechanics but are pretty bad otherwise. I think they fall into this category.

Yeah, that was the only thing I had left that I liked.

Yep.5

Oooh, Twitter has a new dumb hastag: #waifuholocaust

Steam is apparently doing some sort of crackdown on anime visual novels that have naughty bits on display. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth is going on.

Jeez. Where are the poor weebs to find their cartoon jubblies on the Internets now?