Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Manbabies sounds like a terrific monster in DND.

Wow, I see people are really good at non-sequiturs these days.

Is that self comfort thing still being given out as pretend legitimate advice? I thought we had moved past that

Spot on. If you don’t want to be called a manbaby you should consider growing up instead of acting monstrously over you infantile grievances.

I’ve always said that the noise you hear on the Internet is not from the original trolls but the people that take great pains to loudly shout them down. What’s new in this era is a third wave of noise: an army of people that then demand not to be lumped in with the original victims. The clue to understanding the reaction comes from the comment from the reddit admins:

The vast majority of men yelling about this are not manbabies because they won’t allow women to enjoy a fantasy in a videogame. They are manbabies because they are called a manbaby and can’t laugh that off as absurd prattle from a useless website. If you’re confident in what you believe – that you’re not sexist, or you have rational reasons for disliking the theme of a videogame – there’s no need to seek validation by posting about it on the Internet. You should already know. The need to respond to a slight that doesn’t apply to you is the childish behavior.

I agree with you to a point, but we are dealing with people who are stating “if you think X, then you must be Y.” At that point, I think the natural reaction is to tell them to bugger off.

Which now that I think about it, name-calling and reactions is pretty much “the internet.”

So, in sum, no matter what a game journalist claims:

• you’re not special or brave just because you said something on the internet, and name calling doesn’t give you the status you think it does
  • game makers should make the games they want to make based on their judgment as to what will earn them a living
  • demanding that a certain race or gender either appear, or not appear, in a particular game that you are not actually making yourself is silly (see item #1)
  • yes games are pretend, but claiming realism when you have a one-armed woman clubbing men to death with a single hit of a cricket bat will probably provoke eye rolling by a bunch of people and that doesn’t make them evil or dumb
  • yes games can be realistic, but people play them to pretend and have fun, nobody really wants to play a truly realistic war game because real war is horrible, and people wanting to have fun in a way you don’t approve of doesn’t make them evil or dumb
  • shit will sort itself out eventually, and probably for reasons you haven’t thought of yet

That’s all I got. Snark at your leisure. : P

Requesting is not demanding, and it’s EASY for white men to have this position when they’re the default. How hard is that to understand? When the default is you, then of course you don’t think change is needed because you already have yours.

It has nothing to do with bravery, and everything to do about being heard. Again, not necessary if your voice is the dominant voice. So being able to be silent and just sit back and enjoy is a privilege not everyone has.

There never was a bullet you didn’t want to jump in the path of.

I’m a minority woman Rick. Exclusion is something I know very well right alongside others downplaying simple requests like, hey, have you considered diversity once awhile as some sort of giant ask.

Actually, this has been a topic that @Nesrie has always been vocal about, and rightly so. So saying that she goes after ever topic rings false.

As for WW2 games, I would love to see some Tactical RPGs that revolve around the French Resistance. I think that would be at least as exciting as another XCom game. Just

Nice. Well done. You are a true mensch.

Edit: I need to rephrase that. What the fuck?

Well, it’s been 10 years, but at that time it was kind of “if you run to the baby the instant it starts crying, you’re going to regret that Pavlovian training of your kid” :D

edit: actually I think Rickh you already answered my question in your posts. I guess I could have just read them properly before posting. :) Sorry, i withdraw the question.

Why are ““we” (most games makers and games press in the world)” mocking a handful of gamers who didn’t care for women in a fantasy ww2 game?

No I was asking why it bothered Rick. but he already answered. I should have read his posts better before asking.

Why are ““we” (most games makers and games press in the world)” mocking a handful of gamers who didn’t care for women in a fantasy ww2 game?

@Rod_Humble Why are we mocking them, and what does it achieve?

We mock them because sometimes redicule seems like the only way to point out the folly of others.

Also, to show the wider world that not all gamers have the same mindset and that we do care.
As gamers, it’s up to us to police the worst of our excesses. We are our brothers keeper and we have a some amount of responsibility in correcting horrible trends if we personally don’t want to be associated with this horrible trend. Consider what kind of black eye gamergate gave us, despite being only a vocal minority.

The outside world paints with broad brushes.

So, we’re worried about being labeled by the wider world, and are labeling other ‘gamers’, to avoid being labeled?

As game journalists, we are then Calling Attention to this new labeling of a sub-section of ‘gamers’, so that the wider world doesn’t have the idea to label us?