Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Someone’s not doing the reading. tsk tsk. Manbaby/Manchild, not created recently just to make some gamers angry. It doesn’t seem to be largely used by women, that I am aware of, as someone else mentioned earlier.

“Games Journalism 2018: We’re taking it back”

What is ‘it’,
and who are we taking ‘it’ back from?

We deployed ‘man-baby’. Recently. In the articles that we wrote, and, presumably, will continue to do so. Is the invention-date of ‘man-baby’ pertinent to the discussion?

You’re acting like this was a term just created yesterday, and it wasn’t. What do you mean deploy? It’s not a weapon.

No offense meant, but I admit I find preciousgollum’s prose fascinating. It’s as if he was a zerg hive mind of journalists making mystical proclamations.

I especially like the bit about the inventor of the barcode having his barcodes read.

That is debatable.

Must this thread engage in ‘tit-for-tat’?

It looks more like a Markov chain, to be honest.

It would be much appreciated if questions raised could be met with answers to those questions.

lest we be given opportunity to believe our own speculations.

Well, since you asked, ‘it’ is journalism, as for the rest, as far as I can tell, is just a bloody joke, it doesn’t mean anything. It might mean make journalism more serious, but that’s not going to happen to any topic anytime soon, it doesn’t sell. As the bard said “Peace Sells… but Who’s Buying?”.

‘Fantasy World-War 2’:

Captain America is such a dunce for not realising he is in the Modern Era. What a man-baby.

Bethesda (& Pete Hines) is telling people to quote: “F**k Nazis” (again), that they’re real and a recent problem, walking our modern streets, while DICE is telling people that their depiction of World War 2 is a fantasy authored by their creative whim.

So, the ‘fake - alt history 1960s’ game is ‘real’, but the ‘real - History 1939-1945’ game is ‘fake’?

That’s some simulacrum right there.

Variety has a feature on Konami’s controversial military shooter, Six Days in Fallujah, and goes into some detail about the unmaking of the troubled project through interviews with former team members.

@MrTibbs
From the article on Six Days in Fallujah:

“You would have learned something. That was the biggest thing I was excited about. If people played through it, they would have realized wow, military, war is not something to be completely trivialized,” says Cheever".

You know, if you had asked me to predict how this thread was going to go after the exchange between @RickH and @Nesrie above yours, I would never gotten it right. What is going on? It’s gotten really surreal.

Oh, I hadn’t followed this thread. -_-

I just try to post any interesting long-form pieces about game development I come across. Given the way Six Days in Fallujah was positioned to the media, I can understand why people considered it insensitive despite the efforts of the developers to handle the subject matter in a relatively tasteful manner.

Yeah it was him.

That doesn’t work when there is no substance to the complaint. Pretending there is lends credibility that is not earned.

Game journalists didn’t invent the term man baby, but you’re presenting a great example of why they should feel justified in employing it.

The real Nazi’s marching and attacking minorities, shooting up waffle houses and running over counter protesters are real.

A multiplayer game that let’s you pick and choose real life accoutrement for your player characters in a historic setting is a fantasy.

That you can’t tell the difference is extremely troubling.

Why does this thread keep devolving into P&R filled crap? :’(

There are plenty pushing for shoehorning of race/gender/sexuality/flavour of the month.

And there are of-course those crying that race/gender/sexuality/flavour of the month is already in.

As for BF5, I’ve never played any of the games, and am not about to start now. That is because I am not not particularly interested in fps games, as opposed to diversity.

Nobody wants to play a realistic wargame because it would be boring as hell.

I’ve been in a real war, and I enjoyed it, so bite me.

The action bits comprised, if I were to add up total time being grenaded or shooting/being shot at etc, maybe 24 hrs total, of a 6 month tour.

The rest of the time was me:

1. getting physically fit and flexible,
  2. reading a lot (thank god for Kindles) and watching tv shows (my laptop was a godsend)
  3. getting very very horny (but never to the point where the 3 lady dog handlers attached to us became attractive. The attached Doctor/physiotherapist who fixed my Achilles was hot though) which led to point 1.
  4. Being on guard duty (4 hrs in any 24 hr period, regardless of sleep deprivation)
  5. Cleaning stuff or building stuff or taking it down or carrying stuff for people
  6. Having 4 or 5 showers a day as it was a summer tour and the temperature was usually 43 degree celcius
    Eating the same rotation of meals day in and day out. Breakfast was always oats porridge, eggs, bacon, beans, pancakes.
  7. Irrationally looking forward to eating steak
  8. Phoning the loved ones for about 3 hrs a week. We got 30 minutes free and the rest of it we had to buy credit for for.
  9. Some lads missed their mobile phones. I was happy to be rid of it.
  10. Trying to sleep because I was getting 4 hrs sleep at night max (guard duty) and it was hot and sticky in our accommodation (20 people in one tent, sleeping on a cotbed)
  11. Dealing with living around a 100 men, some of them actual teenagers, and the posturing/fighting etc.

If someone made a game like that, it would be the most boring thing in the world.

The “fun” action part consisted of maybe 5%, but games are 100% focused on that part.