Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

You should follow @Wendy’s.

That account is super funny. I was kind of shocked.

Wendys Twitter is on point. Level 9000 social media shade.

I wonder how much of it is non-Americans recoiling at how easy it is to lose a job in this country. That’s what seemed to horrify Eurogamer.

That’s an interesting point. It is super easy to lose a job with no recourse here.

From the article you quoted:

Welcome to 10 years ago! (Or earlier, but you get the point.)

And so forth from there.

Didn’t we determine screeching was a sexually charged misogynistic word? Or was it shrill?

Might have to look this up so I’m properly equipped for my tweetstorm to those bosses of hers probably just looking for an excuse anyway.

Her pretending there’s literally any way Arenanet could handle this situation that wouldn’t “embolden” the bad actors is not helping anything. What are they supposed to do? Never fire or discipline a female employee for fear some asshat is going to think he’s responsible and try to be more so?

Qt3 is also a social media site.

It’s just not a particularly well known one.

There have been comments that Game Developers who choose not to make their posts private are asking for people to respond, and are therefore responsible for any results.The obvious conclusion is that Game Developers should leave every public forum (including this one), and confine their discussions about their craft to private industry only forums and mailing lists. Those, after all, do exist, and have for years. Is that what people really want?

That seems a little disingenuous. Why are you posting on public social media if you aren’t willing to engage the other members? If you only want to hear from and engage with other game developers, then yes, you should be in a private group.

More directly: if you are posting on social media (even here) in the context of your job and identifying yourself as an employee of your company, keep your comments civil and professional. Is that really such a hard thing to do?

While I can’t get on board with the rationale of Price’s defenders, I very much can agree that our differences pale in comparison to those we (or I at least) have with the Gamergate crowd. Our attention should be focused on the barbarians at the gates, not Price. The news story here is that a developer guilty of a simple gaffe stirs up a maelstrom of hatred.

As far as ArenaNet is concerned, I believe they should have delayed any disciplinary action until the spotlight was off Price. The fact that they aren’t responsible for Gamergate does little to mitigate the fact that they threw her to the wolves.

I mean, they should if they don’t want anyone to engage with them on that site. If you are posting on social media, you can’t expect people to not respond, and why would you? That is the reason you are posting publicly right?

Either that or do the increasingly common twitter thing of posting “Not looking for any replies here” on your post, I see people do that a lot, especially people looking to vent publicly.

I also think it is unfair for companies like arenanet to not expect their employees to act like human beings on social media. There is a difference between getting into a public argument with a fan, and posting disparaging remarks on behalf of the company, this is why most people’s social media accounts say “opinions here are my own, and not representative of my employer” and typically that is good enough. Likely you would get a stern talking to from HR about public image and responsibility, but firing someone over this is outrageous.

Um. It’s not an uncommon practice to discipline employees privately without firing them. It’s absurd to think that firing people is the only possible punishment here or even that it’s the most effective punishment.

Maybe outrageous in game dev, but really not in other industries. Now, if you want to argue that most other industries don’t engage with their customers in the same way and thus employees don’t have the same level of private/professional overlap, I’d agree with that.

Again, if I insulted an important customer on social media, I’d be fired. Do I have an opportunity to engage with important customers on social media? Not nearly to the same extent as game developers. That probably is a good reason to cut game developers more slack, certainly.

Repeatedly we see on social media that an expert on a subject talks about what they know, only to have people who are not particularly knowledgeable in that field parachute into the discussion. The notion that someone has chosen to allow you to view what they say must also be happy to have any and all responses would result in no chance for people to learn in an informal discussion.

Figuring out who people work for is trivial. There is no reason to think that “well, they didn’t SAY they worked for company X” would be a protection, and in fact there are some companies which require employees to identify their employer just so that the company doesn’t get accused of astroturfing.

Again, this is a requirement “if you talk about anything related to what you do for a living, you must be perfect in all your responses”. If that becomes the requirement, then assume that the opportunity to talk to people who know something about a field is going to go away.

I agree with this 100%. It seems like a lot of the people who are most vocally complaining about this online have never actually worked in an office environment. The only way you’d get fired for use of twitter in most places is if you revealed confidential information. Or maybe were a white supremacist or something to that effect. Even a performance improvement plan would be a bit much for spouting off on twitter.

Not actually having a Twitter account, my impression is that it’s really easy to ignore people parachuting in if you don’t want to engage with them. Am I mistaken? Even if it’s not, I still don’t think it’s too high of a bar to say that you should be civil and professional when discussing your work, or at least apologize if you overreact.

If the punishment for not being perfect on your personal account on your personal time is termination, why would someone ever discuss work?

Again, the logical outcome of this is that no professional will ever get into a discussion about their craft with a fan ever.

Are you saying people here said that? Show me examples, because I either disagree or have misunderstood what you’re describing.