Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

Where was the mob? On the GW2 reddit, all I saw were reasonable people asking that the company make some kind of statement. They weren’t out with pitchforks demanding that she be fired.

It’s not that hard. 1) Don’t engage with your customers and, 2) Don’t talk shop in a public place.

Most companies of any size nowadays have someone dedicated to social media. Let those people do their job and choose when to engage on social media. If you absolutely must talk shop, do so in a blog and turn off comments. Just post some reminder on the blog that you don’t respond to email, etc.

I don’t see how anyone can defend Ms. Price here.

They literally were all over Twitter. That’s the entire reason why this happened.

Who is defending her?

Price has showed no willingness to admit that in this case, perhaps in only this case, she over reacted.

Neither side says this but I can’t help, as others have mentioned above, that there is more to this (and the firing of Fries) than is mentioned in public. You don’t fire a valuable member of your company because she misinterpreted a guy on a twitter account.

Or maybe you do?

The scale of the handwringing though far outpaces any “crime” she may have committed in her sub-optimal response. And nobody at all, for or against, seem to be interested in the guy. Frankly his firing seems even more “unjust” as far as these things go.

This discussion seems gendered because for some reason everyone for and against, suddenly becomes extremely interested when it’s a woman.

They absolutely fired her at a drop of a hat because she engaged the person on twitter as a representative of the company talking about company things. They fired him apparently for the same reason but with an even weaker case (though i understand the instant reaction). Had she been talking about twitter stuff or even political stuff, it’s unlikely anyone would care (or had cared before). That’s the tricky part of the everything is everything worldview of twitter and why social media gives people a false sense of empowerment.

Increased communication and socialization and community building are great. But the castle on the hill with a thousand knights is going to use the dull swords when they come down, whether you unfollow them or “cancel” them or they respect or disrespect your social media credentials.

It’s sort of like Tesla. You get Elon Musk tweets all day long - what a country! You don’t get Elon Musk employee tweets all day long. Indeed he’s currently sicking the wolves on an employee he accuses of theft.

From the tweets that got her fired to her non-apology in the Polygon piece, Price seems determined to make it a gendered topic. The discussion seems to flow from that.

Let me know when we can start our own glorious revolution and bring back the guillotine!

We better do it soon before AI gives the control combat robots that will obey without question.

Yes, this. The other guy isn’t being as discussed because he never played the gender card. Or the victim card.

Well except this isn’t actually true. He’s been discussed here, multiple times. both guys actually.

I think you missed the tiny little “as” right in front of “discussed”.

Didn’t I bring him up? So, there is that.

I think he’s been discussed and brought up multiple times here almost by everyone in this discussion. What else are you looking for? He defended her. She is still the primary person in the original twitter topic so of course there will be more discussions about her. Like are you looking for a post by post count?

Can discource do that?

You’re reading things where there’s nothing. Please don’t.

He’s not getting as much attention as Price is, but it’s hard to say if that’s merely because Price is the one out there giving interviews, or if it’s as specific as the things Price is saying about gender.

And how many cards does it take to read things that aren’t there?

The scale of the handwringing though far outpaces any “crime” she may have committed in her sub-optimal response. And nobody at all, for or against, seem to be interested in the guy. Frankly his firing seems even more “unjust” as far as these things go.

This discussion seems gendered because for some reason everyone for and against, suddenly becomes extremely interested when it’s a woman.

No, the discussion is gendered because she made it so by the reaction to the tweet. The discussion has become lively because of her continued insistence of pulling a gender card when it is not applicable.

PS - Sub-optimal seems to be a sub-optimal way of describing her reaction. Her response called a valued customer and member of the community effectively a bigot. This is not just sub-optimal. It is unacceptable.

Well, that does seem to a gender thing…