Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

As far as I know, there were no contracts. Just some hardcore fans on Discord who created content.
Not so different from people working as private beta testers for indie devs (Dominions, Tangledeep) for free.

Makes me sad that a high profile developer was the type of “work for me for the exposure”.
I always trough that “work for me for the exposure” people where con artist and would not find anybody falling for their scam.

Kids are dumb, and people taking vantage from kids are about the worst type of person I can imagine.

It shows a lack of professional standards from the developer. Any normal business would tell those 16 year old kids that we cannot accept your work without paying you, and since we don’t want to pay you, we can’t accept your work.

I’d bet that’s the tip of the iceberg when it comes to indie games, though.

Chucklefish says there was something, and others are calling them contracts. I posted it above but I will again for convenience.

"During this time both the core crew and community contributors were collaborating via a chat room and dedicated their time for free. Community contributors were under no obligation to create content, work to deadlines or put in any particular number of hours. Everyone was credited or remunerated as per their agreement.

More fun in the indie gaming scene. It sucks that these jerks can survive and thrive in this industry.

friendly but often difficult boss, prone to behavior that some called controlling and exploitative. Multiple former Nicalis employees said Rodriguez pressured them to drink heavily, made racist jokes in the workplace, and would oscillate between berating them and ignoring them.

One of these words is not like the others. Anyway, what a piece of work, to keep it PG.

A friendly but controlling and exploitative boss who pressures people into drinking and makes racist jokes, also berates and ignores employees… what the heck is that? Why do people need to add this seems friendly bit to what, explain away the rest?

I guess “friendly” in that context means “likes a party so much that could well be a frat boy, with all the maturity of one”…?

Is that Pathfinder?

I’m unclear why that graphic thinks 3.5 is boring and wooden.

Nah, that would be Roger Moore 2.0

Roger Moore is HeroQuest!

Also, I see there’s no 5th ED there. Any suggestions?

Which one is David Niven?

It doesn’t fit chronologically, but Pierce Brosnan is thematically best. More emphasis on actions and explosions.

In fact flashy and popular, while somewhat off putting to old hands seems about perfect.

Vic Ireland is my personal favorite indie game publisher train wreck.

In case anyone else wonders about this site they never heard of and whether or not it’s a trustworthy media outlet.