Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

Awesome article on Wired about the making of a really bad, but interesting, 90’s FMV game.

(Indie) Video game development: not even once

Full of stories of the type ‘I kind of stay afloat thanks a government fund + living in a room in a cheap shared flat’…

Every struggling artist ever.

Least surprising news ever. Gamedev has become the new garage banding, as was obvious would happen with proliferance of tools and easy access to digital distro.

Yeah, I actually use the same example sometimes in RL conversations. Making a game with a few people and having a ‘hit’ is more or less like forming a rock band with friends and turning into rockstars. It’s… possible, there are rockstars out there so it has to happen to some, right? but chances are, you won’t be that guy.

But at least if you form a band you might actually improve your chances of getting laid.

Well, at least the drummers get all the chicks!

My favorite reddit post title is “I spent 6 years on my game and it’s finally done!”

Okay, that’s great, I’m proud of you. What is this game exactly? Maybe start with that.

Hahaha. The timing is excellent with the above story @Woolen_Horde.

It does seem to be an issue mainly with the US press. As the article notes, the Guardian still has robust games coverage, including a podcast, although maybe not as good as in its heyday. And at the other end of the quality spectrum the Express, of all papers, seems to be trying to be the new GameFAQs with comprehensive release info, presumably largely automated.

Don’t Read That If You’re Planning To Play The Goose Game!

(Seriously, it spoils one of the best gags in the game, which is much improved if you don’t know about it.)

I found it more sensationalist than edifying, but it was their story to tell…

It looks like some shit’s going to go down at Kotaku:

For some context:

Plus G/O Media is cleaning house at Deadspin. They fired the Deputy Editor, and told the rest of the staff to “stick to sports” and stop writing other content.

Esports or outdoor sports?

Another recap:

The Kotaku crew’s latest tweets suggest things aren’t going to work out: