Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

It says THQ Nordic responded but it was really that same guy right, the one that said he didn’t know this would happen but now looks like he might be part of the crowd himself?

Do I smell a sacrificial lamb cooking?

Seriously, this whole thing is upsetting. Nordic has released a number of games I enjoyed and holds some franchises I value, this kind of fuckwittery makes me question ever doing business with them again.

It’s a little unclear to me but it looks like at least 2 (perhaps more) official THQ Nordic staff participated in the 8Chan AMA.

PR and Marketing Director Philipp Brock and
THQ Nordic Business and Product Development Director Reinhard Pollice
Perhaps others.

I originally thought it was a naive mistake, but now it looks a little more sinister and gross since they just played along with the 8Chan garbage.

Well it’s just one thing to accidentally fall into the muck by being an idiot and not doing proper vetting, but it’s another to engage with stuff that is clearly not okay. If they do the latter, it’s pretty hard to believe the former is true.

Yeah… if they knew but it got out of hand, they’re in a whole new field of wrong.

I’m pretty sure one of them knew. You can spend 2 seconds googling 8chan to know what that place is. Then the way Brock responded is… well, suspect is a charitable description of his actions.

Yeah, it’s really looking more and more like this was not “accidental” in any sense. The question is how far up the rot goes.

Er rooms across the world see plenty of admittance from men with foreign objects stuck up their butt. Almost every single one of them says 'they fell on it’s rather than admit the truth.

I feel like THQ is saying they fell on it.

One might even say they accidentally the whole AMA

I can confirm from some years spent working in an ER and radiology department back in school that it is absolutely freaky how often you see dudes turn up with foreign objects stuck up their patootie.

THQ Nordic AB officially apologizes for THQ Nordic GmbH’s AMA on 8chan.

As Co-Founder and Group CEO of THQ Nordic AB, I take full responsibility for all of THQ Nordic GmbH’s actions and communications. I have spent the past several days conducting an internal investigation into this matter. I assure you that every member of the organization has learned from this past week’s events. I take this matter very seriously and we will take appropriate action to make sure we have the right policies and systems in place to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

I took it seriously so stopped visiting the GoG topic here. I thought they were dead for about a year until finally clicking the GoG topic to figure out why it was still being bumped.

Idiots lost out on a year’s worth of sales to me because of that stunt.

Some intarweb history to provide context on the terribleness of 8chan:

• Something Awful was known for making jokes and “funny” images about 9/11 on 9/11
  • in spite of that some found the Something Awful forums too restrictive
  • so they left SA and formed 4chan
  • then some members of 4chan found 4chan to be too restrictive
  • so they left 4chan and formed 8chan

Oh, funny, I didn’t know Moot started in SA forums.

That’s a helpful write up, thanks - I suspected something like that was the chain of events, but never wanted to do the research. I assume anyone up for a “16chan” will just immediately be arrested by some sort of future crimes division.

Wikipedia on 4chan and 8chan is funny/sad:

Brennan was one of the mod’s behind the original wizchan meltdown too when he lost his virginity and consequently lost his wizardhood and caused a mod fight.

I understood most of those words, yet that sentence gets all the WTFs.

It’s not even half of it. Brennan is a paraplegic with a severe form of dwarfism and ended up with what was actually a good looking woman with a fetish for disabled virgins. I was foolish enough to google the details.

Oh, and Brennan was the admin of wizchan, and the wizards actually refused to be ruled by traitor to the wizard cause because he had sex, and the virgin rage destroyed the site. Honestly. This happened.

For those that dont know a “wizard” is a male virgin over 30 years old.

Sadly, I knew all this. It’s times like these when I look at my life and go “what have I become?”

WTF?

Yet another reminder to reduce my Internet usage.