Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

But then we’d have only the Epic games store. Which looks at that thread

Know what? I’m fine with board games being 100% of my gaming budget instead of their current 95%.

We will always have Uplay.

I mean, ain’t one of re prevailing concerns that we won’t?

Hah/zing/heyo/etc.

Is disgusting how violent people take over movements.

you have to be really clear against them, because racist are very stupid and otherwise will not understand it if you are subtle.

It’s interesting to be thinking these sort of meta-genre thoughts as I’m playing Apex Legends , and that’s because it knows that your attention will wane. Something newer and stronger and better focused onto the Skinner box ratbrains we all have will come along, and our eyes will slowly drift (along with our friends) to the next thing that appears. And I think Legends knows this, which is why it is built with your attention in mind.

The design of these levels and the way your accomplishments are echoed back to you are not just good design. It’s watching developers play a metagame, the battle royale of battle royales that determines who is the winner this week when it comes to player retention and monetization.

such a nice phrase to explain why I never had any interest and will never have any interest in these games, battle royales and looter shooters and what not

A nice profile on the development of Remedy’s Control. I thought Quantum Break was a complete misfire, but based on previews and gameplay footage, I’m hopefully this will be a major return to form.

Not sure where this goes but remember the idle game about paperclips?

http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips

Feature length movie?

Not long after Lantz made Bostrom’s ideas playable, a young filmmaker named Alberto Roldán followed a link to the game on Facebook and was entranced. He contacted Lantz about making Universal Paperclips into a feature-length film. Roldán is close to finishing a draft of the script, and he has already curried the interest of several producers.

The Subreddit r/games has gone silent/dark (locked all threads) today to raise awareness for the disturbing amount of toxic comments and continued marginalization of minority communities that occurs daily in that subreddit and alarmingly across much of our hobby.

The r/games announcement includes many links to charities for LGBT+, POC, Women, and others like Able Gamers.

Good for them.

I’ve been dicking around on a vanilla WoW private server, and the amount of 4chan nonsense going on in general chat (I know, I know, general chat) is just awful. Shame these morons out of polite society if being a shithead is more important to them than respecting their fellow humans.

This is really impressive. I like the way gamers are fighting back against the minority of bigots who have showed up in recent years.

There’s already an hour long TV show of it. It was one of the PK Dick series on C4.

Cheers! I will check it out!

The episode is called Autofac

There has always been a subset of gamers who are looking to shock or troll and a much more minor subset who actually believe their own rhetoric. They existed on BBSs… They existed playing Galactic Trader on the VAX/VMS in the 80s. They existed playing on Links in the 90s. They existed in the Barrens on WoW in 2005. They exist today. The rhetoric is less socially acceptable today but it has always existed.

Of course, I have no issue calling it out, which is a new trend, but I am not sure I agree with even the symbolism of using silence to do it.

Well put. I agree with all that. Not sure how I would react to QT3 getting shut down for a day regardless of the cause but yeah, calling it out is good even if silence may or may not be the best tool.

I don’t think will solve or even help even a little bit. The best way to get rid of toxic gamers is to refuse to play with them, whether they are friends, family members or co-workers. If they have no one to play with they will either straighten up or find another hobby and go harass them.

I’m all for pulling the subreddit (or Qt3 if that were the venue in question) down for a day and proclaiming a middle-finger message to the shitlords that their shitlording is not welcome.

Do you think that is the lesson they will learn? Or will they learn that by shitlording they can silence everyone else?

It might just serve to show them that it is being noticed and if the subreddit continues to double down, then it might slowly deter the kind of behavior that the moderators don’t want.