Games journalism 2019 - Everything is streaming

That’s why I have faith in Star Citizen, Chris Roberts is the most creative guy I’ve ever read about on the internet.

Two different views of how Conde Nast’s Teen Vogue is doing:

The latter claims TV has retreated from progressive writing mostly to re-concentrate on fashion.

Way to harsh my buzz dawg. :)

images

As expected, Deadspin is basically dead now. Roth (their most explicitly political writer) and Magary (their most famous and probably best writer) resigned earlier today, as did their tennis writer Giri. I think that was everybody coupled with the earlier resignations. The thing is, Deadspin and the other G/O sites are supposedly profitable. You would think ownership groups would be happy to leave well enough alone, but alas.

I’m not sure how Vox media does it, but they seem very well funded. I don’t care for Vox itself, but they have other sites I like under their umbrella.

More thoughts

Deadspin is obvious a big and important site: How come I’ve never heard of it before this? By not following sports?

It had an Alexa rank of about 3k, which is comparable to e.g. the Chicago Tribune. So yeah, bigger than I would have expected.

Yeah I mean if you don’t care about sports, idk why Deadspin would have ever crossed your feed.

I care about sports, and I’d never heard of Deadspin until this week. Come to think of it, even though I care about sports, I’ve never thought to find sports articles on the internet before.

I have read deadspin for a while. If you just wanted sports you could go to regular sports sites like ESPN. Deadspin offered something different, i am not sure how ‘stick to sports’ would have helped them differentiate from bigger sites.

Deadspin was my favorite sports site. It lived by its mantra, Sports without access or favor. Ruthless in their independence they were more of a meta commentary on sports as a whole with loads of writing talent.

Basically a sports site with a heavy focus on the culture around sports. I wasn’t that into sports out of college, but I started watching the NFL and following Drew Magary’s weekly football column. The site introduced me to the world of sports, and I grew into an avid fan and daily reader

A profitable and popular site sold to a group of execs who thought, “They are making money, and relevant, so let’s change everything”

It was all going to end sometime.

“Stick to Sports” is the antithesis of Deadspin, and it killed the site. It will become yet another zombie media property.

Really sad to see it go. Magary’s columns and articles were my favorite on the internet, and the entire team there was doing some of the most unique and interesting sports coverage out there.

RIP

Well said on all points, @JonRowe.

No Williams Sonoma catalog rundown this year I guess.

I’m vaguely aware of an absolutely colossal football/soccer related website and social network, but the venn diagram slice where it crosses into mine is minuscule. Once a blue moon i might see a meme or link out of one of the lads/footy sites.

I’m not a sports person, but someone who is would send me a sports-adjacent article from Deadspin every month or so and they were usually pretty funny. And obviously he kept me up to date with the shenanigans this week. That’s why “stick to sports“ seemed like a strategic mistake; they would kill their ability to convert new readers, an ability which must be good for them revenue-wise.

It seems more likely they care nothing about the content and everything about the name, and simply want to turn the brand into a content farm supplier for Outbrain.

Vulture capitalists gonna vulture capitalist. Not a ton of need to look any farther than that.

Old video

God, that was good. Video is the perfect medium for his reviews.