Games Journalism 2021 - Coming to you live!

The distress over the act of egress kicked off when Hövelbrinks shared a screenshot of his own Discord post in which he explains all of the complications that doors create in games. “Doors are complicated to have in games and have all sorts of possible bugs,” Hövelbrinks wrote. “Mostly because they’re a dynamic funnel and block in the pathfinding, potentially locked, potentially destructible, but in general because they sit potentially between any game interaction or character to character situation from here to there.”

Whatever he blathers on about (“they paid me and made me work, instead of spending time with my family!”) instantly increases the credibility of whatever “wronged” him. Just a dumb little drama queen.

Wow. This is, uh, something.

Asahi News and Tokai TV report that between March and June of last year, Sato allegedly filed three phony fees for articles he wrote that he attempted to pass off as freelance work. As part of his scheme, Tokai had purchased a bank ATM card from a man he met online. In total, he received around 400,000 yen ($3,650).

Sato has confessed to the charges. “I didn’t have any savings,” the 43-year-old is quoted as saying, “and I was worried about the future.” He added that he thought he would get caught but his desire for lots of money was stronger than those concerns.

If you’re worried about money, game writing is an epically bad choice the world around.

Cost of living in Japan must be lower than generally assumed.

No it’s just that those in animation and publishing get paid really low.

“I knew I would get caught and lose my career and possibly my freedom, but my desire for enough money to pay rent for a few months on a 1 room apartment in a cheap neighborhood in Tokyo was stronger than those concerns”

(It’s probably what his lawyer told him to say to get a better sentence).

Looks pretty legit.

Totally legit on April 1st.

Except… it wasn’t April 1st.

But it was a fake account, I believe. I think it was “343Lndustries”, but with the L lower case to look like an I. Kotaku should at least know enough to confirm the source of an announcement like that any day of the year.

Jason Schreier with the latest report on Sony.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-09/sony-s-obsession-with-blockbusters-is-stirring-unrest-within-playstation-empire

I’m a huge fan of the Last of Us Remastered, but I don’t see the point of remaking it for PS5. With Last of Us → Remastered, there was a huge point, going from the PS3 controller to PS4 controller was night and day in how much better an experience that is while trying to play a game with precision.

As to the news about Sony Bend not getting to do Days Gone 2, and being unhappy about having to work on an Uncharted game, losing creative talent and successfully asking to be taken off the project, I’m not sure what to think of all that drama.

Honestly, at some level to me some this shit feels like some journalists smell blood in the water and are just going hard now. A Last of Us Remake actually makes total sense! Why? Because it’s about to be a major HBO TV series, if the show is a hit of course you’d want a current version of the first game ready to sell.

If the show came out and was the next Game of Thrones and you didn’t have a modern version of the game ready there would be articles on how Sony screwed up not making a PS5 version of the first game for people new to it from the show to buy.

And frankly it’s people like Schreier that are partly to blame IMO. That game was fine but not great, and sold decently but from the moment it was shown at E3 it was the punching bag for lot of game press who constantly mocked it.

Oh sorry if I misrepresented it. There’s no shade thrown at the idea of a Last of Us Remake in the article by Schreier, that was just my own comment on hearing the news. You make a good point that it would be a good marketing move, and I don’t deny that. I’m just speaking as a fan, of how I don’t see the need for one.

Again, I don’t get the sense that the article is taking sides. Schreier is reporting stuff from these developers, sure, but I didn’t get the impression that his tone was taking sides. After reading it, I got the impression that Sony is probably making the right decisions in each of these cases. After all Naughty Dog (as the article points out) is one of the reasons they sold so many Playstation consoles, so it makes sense to give them priority over other studios within the Playstation family.

The little bit of editorializing sense I got is that maybe Jason Schreier doesn’t like Sony’s decision to shutter Japan Studios who put out smaller but quirkier games. But maybe I’m imagining that because I feel that way myself.

Its a Bloomberg gaming article, proverbial pinch of salt required when reading.

It’s Jason Schreier, he recently left Kotaku to go to Bloomberg. I enjoyed his first book looking behind the stories of some prominent games, and am looking forward to his second book. He’s got a lot of contacts in the industry, and he does a good job reporting on behind the scenes stuff from game developer’s perspectives, as opposed to industry PR.

2013: The Last of Us
2014: The Last of Us Remastered
2020: The Last of Us Part II
2021: The Last of Us Remake
2022: The Last of Us Kart Racing