Games Journalism 2021 - Coming to you live!

I think this is about they had to stay for six months after their parent company changed hands. Not a severance package.

Sounds like Giant Bomb is done with.

Really sad day. The second saddest day in the site’s history.

Uggh. So I guess Giant Bomb is just Jeff Gerstmann and Jeff Bakalar, Jason and Jan now?

The J’s remain?

And Matt Rorie.

Jmatt Rorie

Well, Ryan dying suddenly days after his wedding…

I’ve heard Matt is leaving as well, but I’ve not seen it confirmed.

@Menzo @WhollySchmidt thanks, that makes sense.

I was worried about this with the sale, but it sucks to see it confirmed. It’s been great having Danny on the podcast, but even if he were to stick around it wouldn’t be the same (and I assume the Beastcast is just done). Makes you wonder what Red Ventures thought they were buying (maybe they really only cared about CNET?). I’ve not been watching all that much video content on the site recently, and I can’t imagine I will maintain my membership now.

I just discovered today that the UK’s longest patient in hospital with COVID is Jason Kelk, a writer for Retro Gamer magazine.

Jesus, he was on a vent for almost a year?

I was recently introduced to Red Ventures through work. What an utterly weird company. Sucks about GB, though.

Tor Thorsen, formerly of GameSpot, passed away this week.

I’m stunned and gutted. Tor was really good people.

This is currently on IGN’s masthead:

Take that, zionists.

(to be clear, it’s satire)

That looks like kids making fun over a conflict that is killing families right now - rather poor taste.

I am sometimes daft, but it looks to me like making fun of the bickering we do while the thing goes on, safely pontificating about how it should be, because it’s out there, far away.

It’s not about the conflict, it’s about IGN, a company that franchises itself all over the world, feeling they need to pick a side in an international conflict. That is eminently mockable.

Earlier today, IGN South Africa had reposted the donation call. Was up for a few hours before the powers that be struck.

That Hard Drive satire predates the IGN owners literally putting up a new statement early this morning saying they never wanted to give the impression they were “taking sides”, so I’d call it cutting, and spot on.