Games Journalism 2022 - NFT, blockchain, crypto ledes!

I mean, those salaries are more than I started at! That was in 2003, though.

My daugther started as a journalist in southern Danmark -granted, its a place that has a tough time getting people to move there, but her starting salary, in a 12 month position, was 56K dollars (4721, or 32000 dkk a month). She is since hired permanently, and gets around 250 dollars more a month.

Of course, comparing salaries across countries is difficult, since here we pay around 48 percent in taxes, and housing / food and so on may be different in costs.

What year did she start Razgon?

Last year :-)

That doesn’t seem great, but at least IGN’s not paying in ‘exposure.’

Was about to say. I guess it is a pretty great way for someone new/young to get something published while earning some take-out food money. Better than literally nothing.

I think it really says more about the state of online journalism today, and how little money there is to go around.

What would be the right amount for them to offer? Depends on how well their system/editing staff helps with the article, or no? Obligatory I’m ignorant/genuinely curious/don’t flame me disclaimers.

Since they are just looking for news aggregation, aren’t those usually just posting a very short summary and a link? $20 a story doesn’t sound bad at all for that kind of work.

Yeah, these are not long form articles/reviews. Just news blurbs.

Nice one.

For nearly 20 years, StarFighters76 has been posting game maps to GameFAQs…

“I actually use the old school MSPaint, like from the early 2000s,” StarFighters76 says. Aside from being an antique, old-school Paint really isn’t a forgiving program. He could certainly keep his visual style while using a program that adds flexibility with layers and more powerful tools. “I should, honestly,” he says when I ask if he’s ever considered changing programs. “But MSPaint has been with me since day one and hasn’t let me down yet so I don’t want to turn my back on it.”

“After I reached 3,000 maps back in 2019, I wasn’t sure what I was gonna do,” he says. “After all these years and thousands of maps, it’s really hard to keep going—doing the same thing—with not much else going for it. Don’t get me wrong, the art of game mapping is fun by itself. But doing it for twenty years can get to me at times because I feel like I’ve done all I could do, even though there is tons more I could be doing.”

Eurogamer interviewed Phil Fish to mark the 10th anniversary of Fez.

Yeah, you can do like 10/day, and get $200 per day. Which is higher than my income in Europe…

The Washington Post discovers anime avatar streaming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/04/20/twitch-ironmouse-vtuber-subathon-interview/

How a pink-haired anime girl became one of Twitch’s biggest stars

I saw that anime’ character shown on a Eldon Ring video today. It was a fake speed run.

Kris Graft out at GDM (formerly Gamasutra) - will stay in the business of games though, so I’m guessing it’s gonna be the typical switching of the sides.

Last year, Polygon published this article about the search for the creator of the first female game protagonist for a home console system. “Ban Tran” (the name turned out to be incorrect) created Wabbit for the Atari 2600 in 1982, featuring Billie Sue protecting her carrot patch from rabbits.

The Video Game History Foundation found her.

That was really cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Wait, we have a 2022 games journalism thread?! My eyes have just totally glazed over it for five months due to the NFT and blockchain in the title.

Same here!

And while I expected NFTs and other forms of crypto in games to be a catastrophic fad, I didn’t realize that by May this thread title would already be quaint!

Truly the Quibi of thread titles.

For Shy and Jessica their rates start at around 500,000 to 550,000 gil, though that varies pretty wildly depending on the client or what they’re looking for. They’re also paid the same flat 500,000 gil wage that Masha pays all his staff members, meaning they’re still walking away with something even on the quietest nights.

That’s damn good money in FF14` terms—it could take a player weeks to earn that much through normal activities—and is appropriately reflective of the intense and lengthy sessions the entertainers can participate in.

But there’s never any shortage of players looking for a good time. As Jess bluntly put it to me: “This player base is very horny. Like, very horny.”