Games of the Decade 2010-2019 - other sites thread.

Lets use this space for the inevitable flood of best/worst lists of the decade that news and review sites will post, as the decade comes to a close.

I figure that early next year we will have threads where we can post our personal best/worst lists.
Almost 10 years ago @Desslock started the Best of 2000-2009 thread.
And @Editer did the Worst of 2000-2009 thread.

So again just for news and reviews sites, here is the first one I’ve seen and it is from Cnet:

Post other sites if you see them, I will try to catch-em-all during my daily game news reading, if I see any.

We already discussed this list from the Guardian in another thread:

It is 2000-2019 though. Looking at just the games from 2010 to 2019, looks like there’s 21 games out of 50 that are from that time frame:

-48. Journey (2012)
-46. Limbo (2010)
-45. Papers Please (2013)
-44. Forza Horizon (2012)
-43. Rocket League (2015)
-41. Overwatch (2016)
-31. God of War (aka Dad of War) (2018)
-24. The Last of Us (2013)
-22. Mario Kart 8 (2014)
-21. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
-20. Fortnite (2017)
-18. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)
-14. Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
-12. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015)
-11. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim (2011)
-10. Bloodborne (2015)
-8. Portal 2 (2011)
-6. Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
-5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015)
-3. Dark Souls (2011)
-2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
-1. Minecraft (2009? 2011?)

Ok, time for me to go read CNET’s list.

(Edit: Grrrr, stupid Discourse changed the numbers. Let me see if I can fix that).

Minecraft is number 1 on The Guardians list, but I didn’t include it because it’s listed as 2009. It’s number 3 on CNET’s list, but listed as a 2011 game. Was it in alpha mode in 2009, and it reached final release in 2011?

Nov 18, 2011 - Minecraft 1.0

Thanks for the Guardian link @Rock8man , I didn’t even see it, and its been out half a month already.

1. Gone Home (2013)

For the life of me that’s a strange choice. I hope they change their mind before a storm of protest occurs. Actions like this have consequences, you know.

I know this thread will make me irrationally angry AND I WELCOME IT.

These lists were obviously written before Rebel Galaxy Outlaws came out. 2019 will get no respect.

It was nice to see Outer Wilds on the CNET list though. A 2019 game that I haven’t dug into yet, but am looking forward to.

They probably rated the 2014 prototype.

All lists are click bait with no consequence other than you clicking on the bait.

And the worst is Evil Kosc, who baited all of us into clicking on this thread!

Well, I came for the gnashing of teeth over what was listed that should not have been and what was left off that should have been on.

So in his defense, while not disputing the evil part, this isn’t a list but a discussion about the list.

You people are gonna click the links, dislike the list suggestions, and discuss!

This is the evil part where you order us around, right? haha

Lists like this always smack me as “Most popular or successful games of the decade.”

Of all the things to take objection to on any given list, Minecraft at #1 is not one I would have.

Personal first? No. But it legitimately is worthy of the position. Some of the other choices however…

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/10/best-videogames-of-the-decade.html

You know what? As far as lists go, that’s a pretty decent one. A mix of styles and genres. Major hits as well as big innovators. Not just the new hotness, but longer memory. Obviously won’t agree with all placements, but aside from questions about Control in top 10 (too soon to evaluate?), a solid effort.

That was my take away as well - not bad, nothing especially egregious. Lots of stuff I hadn’t even heard of, and I love Spelunky at number 4.

Also, should I replay Mario Odyssey? I liked it well enough when it came out, and managed to complete it but never did any optional post-game levels and don’t really remember it well…

Yep a really good list, and damn if I don’t still have a good 20 of them 100 games in my backlog.

Thinking about it, Kentucky Route Zero shouldn’t be included, yet alone at #3. I mean come on, chapter 5 still hasn’t been released… :(