Games of the Decade 2010-2019 - other sites thread.

I mean they also included gasp mobile games! Set aside personal opinion, but try and tell me with a straight face Pokemon Go isn’t one of the 100 most played and important games of the last decade.

And Monument Valley is a delightful puzzler.

I finally read through that one. It’s a good list overall. I wish I’d heard of Dyad when I still had a working PS3. Though, it did come out for the PC as well, so I can check it out there.

My only issue with the list is the Top 4. Like his lordship mentioned, Kentucky Route Zero isn’t finished yet, which is why I haven’t started it yet. Spelunky is too hard for me to even consistently get past the first level. Thumper is too hard for me to be able to get past the first boss. (Even getting to the first boss was one of the hardest video game experiences I’ve ever had, other than playing Spelunky, of course).

I suppose Zelda could be good, so I’m not sure why I said Top 4. I’ll play it eventually and find out for myself. I know there was a lot of disagreement in the Zelda thread about whether it’s a good game or not, so I’m curious to find out for myself one day.

Neat. For once, a list with lots of games I haven’t played yet. And yet, I own a lot of them already. I just need to prioritize them in the backlog I guess.

Ugh. I can’t believe they chose Destiny 2 over Destiny to put on the list.

We did a best and worst space games (mostly) of the past decade our own selves, if y’all don’t mind me sharing a bit.

I’m really surprised that SotS 2 didn’t win most disappointing space game of the decade. I was so hyped for it after playing the heck out of the original …and it was such a mess :|

I would have picked Dishonored over Dishonored 2 but I guess Dishonored 2 has more girl power and infinitely less bathroom creeper so…

It was really close.

It’s rare I agree so much with such awards, especially in a genre I only fiddle with!
3030 Deathwar Redux is really a modern classic. It perfectly captures the wonderment of early space game (“where everything seemed possible”), expanding on it and never betraying it. What a jewel.

I’m really happy you mentionned Star Fleet Armada Rogue Adventures, which sort of surf the same vibe to me.

Anyway, it was a good time listening. And I’m sorry about Alien Isolation.

Thanks for listening! And yeah, 3030 and SFA are just gems.

Wow I thought Drox Operative would be your #1. Need to give 3030 DR another try.

I too was surprised.

Dang it, you guys. You’re going to make me give that game another try. Any advice for getting into it smoothly? I think I was overwhelmed by everything it dropped in my lap at the very beginning.

No advice for that: it throws information at you like no other game. The only thing I can say is that it really is not complicated and that instead of taking its time, it lays out mostly confusion over 10 minutes of text bombs. You’d probably figure most of it without those helps.
I looked up an old message of mine here about my beginnings, but I wonder where I got help on the matter, as I remember somebody helped me soothe the initial confusion.

I didn’t really have a problem, but it does throw a lot at you. Do you recall where you got stuck? Remember while there is a story, once you get past the intro where your ship is impounded and they give you a shuttle, you can basically do what you want. F1 shows you all the controls, and don’t forget to use C for the system overlay. SUPER important. Mining and salvaging are great early ways to earn money, as are taxi missions.

Oh also change the controls in the options so your ship follows the mouse cursor. Makes maneuvering and combat SO much better.

Person on Reddit had lots of free time and looked up / documented all the new video game IP from 2010-2019. Sony winning this one big time.

I could get behind most of those, except for Bioshock Infinite. After the first two games, what a mess that game was. Sheesh. And I’m surprised to see Borderlands 3 as their choice for 2019. I guess that game has its fans after all.

I have to agree, Bishock Infinite and Borderlands 3 on that list is just total bullshit.

Edge Magazine’s top 12: