Games or genres that you totally suck at, but still love?

Once, a long time ago at an office far far away, we used to play Warcraft after work. Only then was I on a pretty even footing in multiplayer. Oh, to be young again.

RTS games…Single Player, Multiplayer, you name it and I suck at it. Still, I have a lot of fun on the road to humiliation and defeat.

RTS - i don’t have the attention span to keep 1000 different lines of attack and production going at once. Ender Wiggin I am not.

There is the added nagging fear that while playing RTS’ those soldiers dying are… well,…someone may not have read the book so I won’t spoil it with a clever reference which leeches off of your clever reference, but you get the idea.

Flight Sims. Don’t really love them but have always been interested in them. I stuck with the WWII stuff since their was usually less you had to do like in the Aces games and Red Baron. Tried to play Falcon IV but just couldn’t get into it.

Driving games, probably because I don’t drive IRL, still GP4 and Colin McRae 2 on the easiest settings can be a lot of fun, but prove that my decison not to bother with real life driving was a benefit for humanity . Combat flight sims are a distant second, I can normally survive at medium level after a lot of practice.

There is the added nagging fear that while playing RTS’ those soldiers dying are… well,…someone may not have read the book so I won’t spoil it with a clever reference which leeches off of your clever reference, but you get the idea.[/quote]

For the record, I felt dirty saying that.

I am so terrible at flight sims that I didn’t even bother with IL-2, though I want badly to play it. I love WWII flight sims, but have always sucked at them.

Brad forgot to mention that he loves RTS’s. Especially long, tedious, overly economic ones like RoN.

For me, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not very good at FPS’s, unless I get adequate cover to snipe. I’m not good at twitch-gaming, so I’m not as reactionary as can be with, say, a minigun, but get me up top of a building with a lightning rifle in UT2k3 and I’ll fry your ass again and again. Unfortunately, how often does that happen?

Console FPS’s are another bag, though. I’ll kick any of your asses at Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, or Time Splitters II anyday. :)

Xbox Halo. Great game, except that I suck at multiplayer. I’m good at being clever/sneaky, but that doesn’t make up for lousy aim.

I occasionally have trouble with RTS games, although that’s usually more of an organizational issue (e.g. dividing my attention among hundreds of units and buildings). Damn that hidden ‘time’ resource!

• Alan

It’s Xbox Halo that made me buy that machine. A truly great game.

Tactical shooters.

I start the round off with the best intentions but as soon as I see the first opponent I make a beeline to him with my gun on full auto paying absolutely no attention to his teamates who open fire on my ass. I sit in ghost mode thinking “gotta let them come to me…gotta let them come to me”. The next round starts and the cycle starts all over again. :?

I love every minute of it though. :twisted:

I’d have to say RTS games for me. I played the original Age of Empires to death but after many, many hours battling opponents over the Zone, I hit a plateau with my skill level and would get regularly whomped by better players. I finally had to advertise for “medium-skilled players” and hope people were honest when they joined up.

I still love RTS’s but I’m yearning for one with the simple addictive quality of Populous. I enjoy the complexity but sometimes just casting lightning bolts on the other guy’s leader and destroying a village with a sudden volcano is enough for me. :)

That first Populous on my Nintendo console was sa-weet. AoM was fun and had the bolts, but not that same addicitve feel.