Games that bring something new to the table

Yesterday I spent $60 on a new game that is receiving pretty mixed reviews across the board. I read and watched the reviews, experienced a few boring gameplay videos, gazed on as Tom bounced off the game for an hour or so of his stream, read what other players were saying, and delved into a developer AMA to see what was being promised… and almost none of it excited me. But by the end of the day I still pulled out my wallet and slapped some plastic down nonetheless. Vampyr was now mine, and I’m really hoping to extract something special out of it that most other people don’t seem quite as enamoured by, a promise of something new.

What sold me on the game was the idea that the developers were delivering a new gameplay experience. Not necessarily the best one if reviews are any indication, but a serviceable one that does a competent job of showcasing this brand-new form of gameplay I just had to try. And that’s what really sold me, a promise that it would quench my growing thirst for fresh systems, gameplay, and twists on existing formulas. In this case, Vampyr promises a very deep and interconnected NPC Social System.

This is supposed to mean that what affects one NPC (such as death) will ripple outward and affect many others in deep, interesting, and sometimes unexpected ways. Every interactable NPC–not counting generic trash mobs that exist in the world just for killing–in the game was supposed to be special in some way, and their continued existence or loss would have at least some impact, above and beyond some simple faction system that marks you as an enemy or friend of whatever group you happen to be doing quests for or against, as is common in other RPGs.

As I play more games I find myself being drawn more and more to those specific games that are treading unbroken ground. I mean, sure, new stuff has always been a draw, especially when amazing ideas are packed into small indie titles whose modest (and rail-thin) production budgets can barely scrape a passable game together to serve as a foundation for new and brilliant ideas, but I’m finding myself prioritizing new experiences over polished and refined experiences more and more as of late. I need to take some time off from the 20th re-hash of my favorite online competitive shooter and really see what big new ideas might be buried in places I wouldn’t have thought to look before.

And with that, I’m wondering, what games do you especially appreciate for trying something new? Did they succeed at it? I know in my case the the jury is still out for Vampyr, but I have high hopes. And in Vampyr’s case, they even have a brand new difficulty system that ties directly into the leveling system, which also ties directly into this brand new take on an NPC Social System that the devs are so proud of; and this particular feature is something I’ve already seen some debate over here and other places. It seems to really click for some people, while putting others off all together.

So which games do something particularly unique or new that really makes them stand out for you? Or can you think of any games that put some wonderful twist on a formula that clicked with you immediately? They don’t need to be games that invent some new genre or the like, and the features themselves don’t have to be so significant as to build a marketing campaign around, it could even be as simple as introducing an elegant new UI or inventory system for ARPGs or something. But I am curious, because I’m always willing to follow a game down some untrodden path.

In the end, while a new system will almost never save a bad game from being a bad game, it usually can make playing a mediocre game worth my time. And I do want to emphasize that polished and refined retreads aren’t necessarily bad, or worthy of a lower rating, they usually can’t sate my hunger for newness. So don’t think of this as an attack on AAA polished refinements on some 15th entry in a popular game series.

I cannot think of any right at the moment, and that is why I too bought “Vampyr”. From Green Man Gaming with a big discount (enter code JUNE25 at check-out). About to fire it up for the first time now. And I have high hopes as well.

It should be noted that I have a high tolerance for iffy games, especially if they’re doing something new, and/or if it’s obvious the devs had their hearts in the right place.

One thing I’m always on the lookout for is a game without combat, or at least a game with alternate means of conflict resolution. Not that I’m going full pacifist, or that I don’t want to occasionally shoot stuff or beat stuff down, but it gets old when that’s all you get. I’ve mentioned before that I’d go absolutely nuts for a Star Trek or Mass Effect type game of space exploration that focused on the diplomatic and exploration angles, where you never (or at least rarely) pulled out a laser gun to resolve your problems. I bought The Council recently just because it’s described as an RPG without combat. Haven’t played it yet because I’m waiting on all the episodes to be released, but I’m intrigued. Stuff like that seems like a road not really traveled among games. I wish it were.

I’m sure it’s been done before, but I kinda fell in love with a lovely game called Ghost Of A Tale a while back (20% off right now). Not at all sure if it treads any new ground, but I had not played anything like it before, so for me it did. Also, it’s one of the few games my girlfriend will watch me play, because she loves the cute little minstrel mouse with a bell on his cap.

edit: @divedivedive I just now read your post, and this game might be right up your alley. No combat. Just scamper.

As do I, which is why Steam sales and day one releases that bring attention to such games always leave my wallet feeling a bit road-worn by the end of the day.

I bought Vampyr digitally on Xbox, so no discount for me, but my crappy 7-year-old PC is my experimental indie gaming machine, and a lot of times it’s in those games that I find some of the most daring and game-changing ideas.

The Depths of Peril and Din’s Curse games from Soldak are another batch of games that looked questionable at first glance, but once I heard about the way the quest system worked (in a Tom Chick post or review back in the day I do believe), I was in another tab clicking buy before I had even finished reading.

I’m giving

props for allowing me to outfit my ship and have ship to ship combat and even has boarding actions. I haven’t seen this since pirates, and bonus…no dancing! :) Ok, I cant become a merchant per se, but plenty of other pirates and enemies to take down. I do love this mixed in with my party based RPG! Also found by mistake, hoist the wrong flag, and you have the option of attacking a town! :)

I think once something has been in 2 or 3 Ubigames its claim to innovation is lessened a bit :)

I think that the anxiety-o-meter in Darkest Dungeon is one of the most interesting new CRPG mechanics I’ve seen in quite some time.

Oh yeah. I definitely bought that one after the “forum effect” here.

Some of the short stories told in What Remains of Edith Finch are wholly innovative in completely unexpected ways:

http://www.giantsparrow.com/games/finch/

It’s hard to explain why without spoiling things, but in short the way it thoroughly integrates “walking simulator” mechanics directly into its storytelling is the type of thing that literally only a game can possibly do, while also being something I’ve never seen a game do before. Specifically the “fish processing plant” sequence.

Yeah, that is quite a game, I really enjoyed it. It almost manages to make the deaths of children seem uplifting.

A perfect illustration of the importance of the word “almost”.

It’s hard to explain, but if you can squint your eyes just right, you can see death as a form of escape, or release. Of course the game doesn’t dwell too long on the ones left behind to deal with those deaths, either.

That game has been on my wishlist for quite a while now. I’ll have to move it up in my queue.

A big part of what I enjoyed about Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons was the control scheme. It was one of the most innovative uses of bringing the mechanics of play into the narrative experience. Those who played will understand when I say the river was a tremendous use of that effect.

Oh yeah, Brothers employs a similar theme to What Remains of Edith Finch in that way. Both games still do it differently, but still.

I think the only games that fit the bill are ones that legitimately and massively popularize a new genre all on their own. Stuff like Warcraft II (RPGs), Doom (FPS)… I’d also say certain kinds of multiplayer mods would also qualify, such as Defense of the Ancients (DOTA / LoL), and PUBG (Battle Royale).

This is why I maintain Offworld Trading Company is one of the most impressive games released in quite some time.

The divinity original sin games brought environmental effects as a tactic to the table. For example, if a character walks through oil, they become covered in it, and thus very flammable. You can teleport enemies onto hostile surfaces. You can teleport objects on to enemies. You can move objects to create barricades, etc… This stuff is useful both in combat, and non-combat interactions. I have never seen another game do that kind of thing.

Evil genius brought a lot of new things to the table, especially with the underground lair coupled with the agents / inspectors trying to get in and the whole overworld missions things. I heard they are making a sequel, but who knows when that will be released.

I can’t think of any recent games that I have played that have brought new ideas to the table. Someone listed PoE:2, but I do not think it has anything new in it at all. The ship to ship combat has been done in many games, and done much better. The rest of the game is just like any other party based RPG in terms of mechanics.

Evil Genius didn’t seem hugely innovative - Dungeon Keeper did many of the same things (and was better paced; EG had severe pacing problems, though I still like the game a great deal).

Dark Messiah of/: (whatever the subtitle was) Might and Magic was very innovative in terms of environmental interactions in combat!