Games that couldn't be installed out of the box

Outcast.
After I bought it I first had to download a 12 mb patch with my dialup.

It took several tries to make it work.

Sometime after that I had to reinstall my computer, and I never managed to reinstall outcast again. It finished in the bin :?

Any MMORPG.

[/thread]

Sin.

Emperor of the Fading Suns comes to mind. While an excellent game, it was virtually unplayable out of the box, because in the later game, when the game was unpatched, the computer could take up to an hour or more on its turn. This was maddening.

EFS was a phenomenal game after it was patched and tweaked by third-party efforts. It was still quirky and unreliable, but no other game has ever given you that sort of sci-fi strategy/wargaming feel, with politics, planetary invasions, and full-scale planetary battles. Too bad there was never an effort to do an EFS 2 or anything else in that vein. Even Noble Armada, which may never see the light of day, wasn’t really anything at all similar. Holistic is a bunch of weird people.

It was also one of the most poorly documented games of all time, and one of the most improved games of all time (after the third-party enthusiasts patched it up).

Falcon 3.0
Falcon 4.0

I’m copyrighting my thread topics from now on.

Can we stop with the McTopics already?

GTA3.

There’s a special place in hell for the Rockstar and Take Two programmers on that game. Worst-running-console-port-ever.

Ultima IX. Oh how far Ultima had fallen…

etc

Master of Magic - missing sound effects made for certain crashes out of combat. The final build was broken. Careless?

Black and White. Autosaves that took weeks, frequent crashes on map three and if all that hadnt put you off the bugged creature curse on map 5 if you got that far.

And the gameplay (or lack thereof “worshippers need food”) to cap it all.

ultima 9 and NWN (have only played it multiplayer, even the OC, and that was a nightmare at first)…

but I went back to those games later on and loved them both.

No kidding. I thought I’d picked up the Jello powerup or something when I tried to play that game.

Tribes 2.

No kidding. I thought I’d picked up the Jello powerup or something when I tried to play that game.[/quote]

It wasn’t just the slowness; I mean, once I went GeForce4 and Athlon on it, the frame rate was above tolerable.

My thoughts were more along the lines of something Dave might have said in 2001, if Kubrick had been a gamer and played GTA3 on the PC:

“My god, it’s full of bugs!”

Messiah, Vampire, Tribes 2…

EFS was a phenomenal game after it was patched and tweaked by third-party efforts. It was still quirky and unreliable, but no other game has ever given you that sort of sci-fi strategy/wargaming feel, with politics, planetary invasions, and full-scale planetary battles. Too bad there was never an effort to do an EFS 2 or anything else in that vein. Even Noble Armada, which may never see the light of day, wasn’t really anything at all similar. Holistic is a bunch of weird people.

You’re damned right about that, brutha. I still play EFS with the subversion patch to this day, and I absolutely adore it. I really love the soundtrack as well.

It was also one of the most poorly documented games of all time, and one of the most improved games of all time (after the third-party enthusiasts patched it up).

Yeah, it’s a shame the manual that came with the game was so sh-tty, and really didn’t help much. Fortunately the community really helps out in that respect. Also, the 3rd party patches such as Nova or Subversion have made it a whole new game.

It was also one of the most poorly documented games of all time, and one of the most improved games of all time (after the third-party enthusiasts patched it up).[/quote]
The game still makes me nuts, though. Even after patching it still siezes up after something like 80 turns. Reload the saved game, play to the same turn, and then it siezes up. Argh! And I really enjoy it right up to the point where it crashes.

Also, EFS gets my vote for one of the best intro movies in gaming. It really sets the scene.