Games with derailable trains...

Hey guys!
I’m trying to compile a list of games where you can derail trains and watch them crash. I just found out Just Cause 3 can do this and I’m looking for more.

I’ll also probably compile a list of games with trains you can’t derail, but you can lay things on the tracks. There are way more of those.

The list:
Just Cause 3 (open world sandbox)
Saints Row 2 (open world sandbox)
Trainz series (sim)

Trainz

GTA V has a mod specifically designed to do this.

Uh… does Planet Coaster count?

Saints Row 2.

If “derailing” includes shooting with a rocket launcher. I did that a lot.

Wow, so three total? If that’s true Just Cause 3 is a real innovator. I’m having a blast with the trains. There is even a mission to derail some!

I was also taken aback by how few games with derailable trains I could think of.

How about:

Every time someone brings up the SR1/2 trains here at the office, a couple programmers get a mixture of fear and pain on their faces, mixed with a dead eyed thousand yard stare.

You will notice they did not make an appearance in 3/4.

Too on the nose?

I know GTA V had trains. Did anyone try to derail one? I didn’t.

Oh wow, apparently not:

They put a lot of buses and bus corpses in front of that train. Nothing stops the train.

Is there a train derailing in Red Dead Redemption? There’s gotta be, right? It’s a Western, after all. I need to play that again.

From the Red Dead Wiki:

[quote]How to derail a train?

The Game does not allow the player to derail, or steal the train. The most the player can do is temporarily disable a train by killed the conductor in the from engine car. This will cause the train to stop, but it cannot be moved by the player. It will continue on it’s way a few minutes after the player leaves the area.[/quote]

Yep, I think its a physics simulation problem. The ones in JC3 are awesome because they are full of cargo like pipes, containers, vehicles, even planes. The debris also stays around for a while so you get some really nice pileups. On top of all that, bridges are destructible with mesh fracture and dust particle effects and great sound synch. My hats off to this dev team (even though I have to play all of this in offline mode or it lags to unplayable).

I’m sure the one in SR2 was a pain to program and scale back to resolve frame rate as well. I do remember playing with them now. You could make them jump off elevated rails and into the streets. They were a lot of fun!

Pretty much if you can think of a game with trains, you can’t damage them, they are all flagged indestructible. Ghost Recon: Wilderness that just came out had awesome trains but they are like every other videogame train: flagged indestructible.

You could crash and make trains blow up good in the original GTA. They never jumped off the tracks though.

Was it not possible to derail the trains in GTA San Andreas? I seem to remember that one could.

Keep your eye on this. Looks like it will have the potential to derail trains.

Current free version here:

Steam (not released) here: